Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by sethb
Once she has her stuff and has paid, why don't you place your order? You might have to speak up a bit to be heard, that's all.
Occasionally, I have done this, if I'm in a real hurry. But mostly I stand there, shooting daggers from my eyes into the camper, who is always completely oblivious.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Oh am I not paying attention?

I need to pay for this separately.

What's my PIN?

Do you have rolls of quarters?

Priceless tonight.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by mapleg
Invite her to visit Canada where we got rid of the little pesty things.
As has pretty much the entire civilised world.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:26 am

In the grocery store several years ago:

“But the price on the shelf said $5.49, not $5.59.”
“Price check in aisle 6. Price check for aisle 6.”

I was *so* close to handing her the dime to save us all from the 5 minute price check. Does her time have no value? (Actually she valued her time at less than $1.20/hr) Meanwhile, I’m behind her with a baby who is starting to cry because the fun, fun shopping cart is no longer moving and all my groceries are already unloaded on the belt so I’m stuck there.

But talking about lines and kids, I think kids are the reason drive-thru’s were invented. When my first was a baby, my friends and I knew every pay at the pump gas station and every drive thru-bank in the city (they were a novelty back then). Because if I had a sleeping baby in a carseat, I was going to do everything in my power to maintain that state of being. And restaurant drive-thru’s? They’re almost always slower than walking in. I find that restaurant drive-thru’s are only a good choice is for:

1) people with small children with them
2) the mobility impaired
3) uber patient / zen people who are happy to spend longer in line rather than get out of their car.

Hmm, I suppose I’ll also add to that:
4) people not properly dressed -- the only time we go through the McD drive thru now is after skiing when we all have hat head and have often stripped down to long underwear. I’m sure a lot of early morning pyjama coffee runs also go through drive thru’s.
4) -30 (either Celsius or Fahrenheit), because no one wants to bring hot food into a cold car
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:11 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
As has pretty much the entire civilised world.
I'm no fan of the pennies either, but Japan still clings to its nearly-weightless one-円 coins, not to mention Hong Kong has those unnecessarily obese $5 pieces.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, NK, WN
"Mom, I need to go pee."
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by FliesFromCanada

I was *so* close to handing her the dime to save us all from the 5 minute price check. Does her time have no value? (Actually she valued her time at less than $1.20/hr)
So was it $5.49 or $5.59?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: nada these days
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I'm no fan of the pennies either, but Japan still clings to its nearly-weightless one-円 coins, not to mention Hong Kong has those unnecessarily obese $5 pieces.
I have sooooo many of those stupid 1 euro-cent coins in my changepurse, and they're so tiny and hard to fish out that I hardly ever use them. At least Europe also uses 2-cent coins (although I hardly ever use those either). I like to pay with exact change if I can do so quickly, but no way am I digging through my changepurse if it's going to hold up the queue.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by erdehoff
I have sooooo many of those stupid 1 euro-cent coins in my changepurse, and they're so tiny and hard to fish out that I hardly ever use them. At least Europe also uses 2-cent coins (although I hardly ever use those either). I like to pay with exact change if I can do so quickly, but no way am I digging through my changepurse if it's going to hold up the queue.
As Vinnie Antonelli once said, "See, you guys see a problem. I see opportunity..."

I don't like carrying a bunch of pennies around, either, so I dump all the coins from my pocket into a coin sorter when I get home every night. I roll each type of coin as soon as its tube in the sorter is full. By the end of the year, I've usually got a pretty good amount of rolled coins, so i don't have to spend hours separating and rolling them or waste 10% on a coin sorter in a supermarket. I just take them to my bank and deposit them.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WillCAD
...or waste 10% on a coin sorter in a supermarket....
Since converting coins to gift cards carries no discount, I take my tub o'change every so often to the Coinstar machine and get a Starbucks gift card with it for full value of the pesky pennies.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grocery stores need dedicated lines for people who are buying cat food.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
All cat food, or just those tins whose contents smell like bad fish bait?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by ScottC
Grocery stores need dedicated lines for people who are buying cat food.
Amen!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FliesFromCanada

I was *so* close to handing her the dime to save us all from the 5 minute price check. Does her time have no value? (Actually she valued her time at less than $1.20/hr) Meanwhile, I’m behind her with a baby who is starting to cry because the fun, fun shopping cart is no longer moving and all my groceries are already unloaded on the belt so I’m stuck there.

But talking about lines and kids, I think kids are the reason drive-thru’s were invented. When my first was a baby, my friends and I knew every pay at the pump gas station and every drive thru-bank in the city (they were a novelty back then). Because if I had a sleeping baby in a carseat, I was going to do everything in my power to maintain that state of being. And restaurant drive-thru’s? They’re almost always slower than walking in. I find that restaurant drive-thru’s are only a good choice is for:

1) people with small children with them
2) the mobility impaired
3) uber patient / zen people who are happy to spend longer in line rather than get out of their car.

Hmm, I suppose I’ll also add to that:
4) people not properly dressed -- the only time we go through the McD drive thru now is after skiing when we all have hat head and have often stripped down to long underwear. I’m sure a lot of early morning pyjama coffee runs also go through drive thru’s.
4) -30 (either Celsius or Fahrenheit), because no one wants to bring hot food into a cold car
If she is right and the store participates in a programme (scanning code of practice IIRC), then she could get the item for free...
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
HK$5 is worth much more than 1 cent...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.