Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are some of the most over-rated steakhouses in major US cities?(or anywhere else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are some of the most over-rated steakhouses in major US cities?(or anywhere else

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
As for overrated places... Seattle for some reason reveres a local place called El Gaucho
There's one in Portland as well; the PDX is better located. Curious your suggestions of better SEA steakhouses, it was a pretty poor steak town ime.

I can't say either are a particularly aberrant phenomena in the US. Here "steakhouse" means overpriced meat and wine eatery where egoists take other egoists to impress them by spending lots of money.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
Here "steakhouse" means overpriced meat and wine eatery where egoists take other egoists to impress them by spending lots of money.
^We are probably both going to be severely berated, but this is exactly how I feel about it for the most part. I have spoken almost those exact words to many over the years.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Smith and Wollensky New York. Loud and crowded, and the food wasn't great.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Pretty much any Palm restaurant (name the city) that I have been to has been a disappointment.
Keene's in New York City. A tasteless, dry (ordered medium rare) mess.
Del Frisco's in New York. The last time there, a bit of redemption was found. The steak was really good. The previous 2 times...not so much. The Dallas location is still very good.
Morton's in Los Angeles. How they managed to suck the flavor out of such a huge slab of meat was beyond belief. 2 years later....I'm still digesting that carcass.
My all time disappointment....Gene & Georgetti in Chicago. Simply overrated...by far. I've had better steak at the Texas Roadhouse (no joke) at a fraction of the cost. If I didn't know better, I'd swear that sucker was running in the 3rd race at Arlington Park before ending up on my plate. It was a really, really bad piece of meat.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Most of the Ruth's Chris these days. Long in the tooth and forgetting some of what made the chain well known and patronized. Sort of an upscale Outback sort of place.

Chicago? S&W & Gene & Georgetti's. S&W? Too bright, too loud, uncomfortable, and with a steak of marginal quality, certainly not up to the price. G&G? Simply over-rated. Were it not so crowded (and honestly a bit over-priced), Chicago Chop House has always been a favorite, while for a group, there's usually some appeal to Gibson's.

Chains: Morton's? Generally, the package and promo are better than the product. Palm? I'm not sure from whence comes the almost holy reverence. I can recall having a fine steak in the NYC Palm, a treat from a well to do uncle, back in 1963, but repeats have been less than stellar.

Multiple disappointments? Any Shula's, at least the three I recall...

Lamented in their passing? For several decades(until he retired/sold out), we enjoyed "Paul's Porterhouse", a Dallas spot run by a childhood acquaintance, low key, comfortable, careful service, always ready to handle at a moment's notice a group of a dozen, for groups providing not only the "regular" wheel of cheddar for an appetizer, but always serving a cup of quail soup and a small "Bananas Foster" dessert as part of the entree price. Paul had served his apprenticeship running one of the "Old san Francisco's", an early venture into steakhouse groups.

Best steak, product and service matching the price, in recent years? Dallas's Pappas Steakhouse just West of Stemmons. White linens (heavy) and all the trimmings, but the typically over-priced over-blown wine list. I don't expect "Two Buck Chuck", but restaurateurs fall into greivous error by not offering some of the many fine wines of modest label and provenance. I understand that for most steakhouses, expense account dining pumps big dollar bottles, but a thinking sommelier could make the same profit by enticing me to buy 2 bottles (or in my case, 2 wines) at realistic prices (totalling the same gross profit).
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
Curious your suggestions of better SEA steakhouses...
In Seatown I like the Buenos Aires, the Brooklyn and even Daniel's ahead of El Gaucho, which I think is a big, expensive show put on for locals who don't have enough reference points to understand they're getting taken. (El Gaucho expands into B-tier cities for this reason -- not NY, Chicago or Vegas.) Avoid Morton's and Ruth's Chris.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:54 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by monitor
Why is it that I am confused by this OP? He says that the steak at Peter Luger was "one of the best he ever had" and then complains that it was too expensive and by implication (found in his thread title) that Peter Luger is one of "the most over-rated steakhouses..."

Then he goes on to say that he does "not mind paying top dollars for great food.."

So what does this OP mean by this thread? Is it that since he got the one of the best steaks he ever had he begrudged the check that he got even tho he claims that the money is not important when the food is great?
Agreed 100%. Its also hard for me to understand how the OP did not know about the price level of Peter Lugers before going there... and after ordering from the Menu. Unless Im mistaken and they dont have prices on their menus.......
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:55 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
In Buenos Aires.... Cabania Las Lilas is the best example of over-rated and super over-priced in the dead/grilled cow department....
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA GM (ex 1K-lite), Priority Club Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, DL GM
Morton's has disappointed me twice on the (lack of) flavor of the steak itself in two different cities.

Abe & Louie's in Boston is a notch down in atmosphere and two down in steak quality.

Shula's in Portland is completely disconnected price vs. value (no excuse not to go to Ringside instead!)

Palm and Capital Grille are probably fairly-rated but overpriced in every city.

I've actually been pleased at Ruth's Chris in two cities (but it's been awhile...)

Favorites are Ringside mentioned above and LG's Prime in Palm Springs.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:34 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
In Seatown I like the Buenos Aires, the Brooklyn and even Daniel's ahead of El Gaucho, which I think is a big, expensive show put on for locals who don't have enough reference points to understand they're getting taken. (El Gaucho expands into B-tier cities for this reason -- not NY, Chicago or Vegas.) Avoid Morton's and Ruth's Chris.
I used to love Buenos Aires Grill. We had semi-regular FT events there. But then I had a streak of really crappy (indifferent and neglectful) service. The food quality started to drop and the prices kept going up, so I stopped going. I miss the skirt steak there though.

I'm a fan of the mac and cheese at El Gaucho

Peter Luger was just OK. They did have some nice wine options though.

LOVE the Primehouse in Chicago.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:22 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Deleted

Last edited by SFflyer123; Mar 22, 2011 at 12:49 pm
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:26 pm

What is your recommendation for the best in DC/NoVA? I'll be there for two weeks on business soon.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:33 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Deleted

Last edited by SFflyer123; Mar 22, 2011 at 12:48 pm
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:43 pm

In descending order of most over rated:

1) Harris' in San Francisco
2) smith and wolinsky everywhere
3) mortons
4) Capitol grille
5) palm

these places, howver are great:

del friscos
bourbon steak in San Francisco
house of prime rib in San francisco
city hall in Scottsdale, AZ
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by missydarlin
...Peter Luger was just OK. They did have some nice wine options though...
Do not deny that a little of Pacific Northwest chauvinism did not make an appearance when we spotted that marvelous Bookwalter on their wine list.

I, however, thought that my steak was excellent and it did not seem to me to be overpriced for New York. The wine was also not terribly marked up and had been perfectly stored. No matter what this OP has to say about it, this is a very, very good steak restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.