Best NY-Style Jewish Delis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best NY-Style Jewish Delis

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
To those posting about the wonderful Zingerman's in Ann Arbor. A terrific restaurant and deli it is. A NY-style Jewish deli it isn't.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:00 pm

Not a New Yorker so for the price, I'll take Ben's in Manhattan any day. Far better than anything available in central PA. The rye bread is excellent. Last time I was there in mid-July, the service was good too.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
My vote goes to Katz's (though I've yet to visit any of the highly touted LA delis)

Funny, that 2nd Ave hasn't been mentioned.

Guess that's what happens when ya move uptown! I think I walked in there once & picked up some matzo ball soup & chopped liver but never been back. My pastrami allegiance will always remain on the LES.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by violist
Who orders a hot turkey sandwich at a NY deli
In [I]When Harry met Sally[I] Meg Ryan ordered a Turkey sandwich on White with Mayo. I suspect the pc answer is: people who do not dine at Jewish Delis on a regular basis for it's spiritually uplifting value.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I love Nate 'n Al in Beverly Hills. They also serve delicious double-baked rye.
The matzo ball soup is heavenly. When I visit my relatives in the Bay Area I have to bring them a care package of corned beef, pickles, pastrami and rye. Said nothing comparable in San Francisco or Oakland.
http://www.natenal.com/
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:32 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I love Nate 'n Al in Beverly Hills. They also serve delicious double-baked rye.

Feh!

Nate 'n Al's is for tourists to go to ogle wanna-be stars who don't know what real deli is and are too lazy to drive to a *real* LA deli.

If you're in that rough area of LA, drive 5-10 minutes to Canters.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL KM
Just a follow-up to my previous post- Tony's is NOT closed-I think they might have been for a short while for renovation, but today it looked quite open!

Originally Posted by Easy Victor
Deli may be disappearing, but not here in Michigan. Most are going strong and are well supported.

Now, after saying that, I think Tony's is closed. I used to drive by there often, but recently moved a bit east of there. I'll should be by there in the next few days and will check it out for you!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:13 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am down on Katz's simply because if you don't know the hidden ritual of how to tip the counterman -- and most all out-of-town visitors, including me, didn't -- you pay and get a a small, small sandwich.

And I honestly don't know where all the fans of Canter's are coming from. Nothing special IMO. Art's or Bagel Nosh in the Valley beats it hands down.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
In DC proper, I think Loeb's deli is as a close as we come to a real NY style deli. After 51 years at 15th & H, NW, it closed in September but is scheduled to reopen next month at 17th & I.

Does anyone remember Stacks, Jack Abramoff's horrible kosher deli in the old Washington Star building Pennsylvania Avenue? It attracted lots of customers from the Holocaust Museum but did not last long. Now it's home to the DC branch of Fogo de Chao.

For a better memory, I miss the old Shirlington Deli. Surly service, kosher pickles on the table - it was great! When Shirlington was redeveloped it briefly moved to Jeff Davis Highway but did not last very long.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock, NJ is tops for me..I like it better than Katz and Harolds...
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeHateY
A quick plug for my former locals:

Izzy's Deli
Ugh. I wouldn't even describe Izzy's a Jewish-style.

Much, much better than Izzy's and true Jewish-style. Still, though, nowhere near as good as real NY Jewish-style deli. Canter's has gone way down hill, and Jerry's, even in its heigh-day, was hit or miss. Art's is, in my opinion, the best Jewish-style deli in Southern California. Unfortunately, living in Orange County, my only convenient option is Jerry's in Costa Mesa. Though still hit-or-miss (and too over-priced), I do, on occasion, get a decent corned beef or pastrami sandwich there.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by mlshanks
Feh!

Nate 'n Al's is for tourists to go to ogle wanna-be stars who don't know what real deli is and are too lazy to drive to a *real* LA deli.

If you're in that rough area of LA, drive 5-10 minutes to Canters.
My turkey sandwich at Nate'n'Al's was just that: turkey and bread. Maybe that's a deli tradition, but it sure seemed odd to me.

Bagel chips, on the other hand, were spectacular and the price wasn't LA-exorbitant either. If I'm ever in Beverly Hills again (not that I plan to!) I'd grab another bag for sure.

For my money, on a trip to LA I'd make a point of getting In-n-Out and Korean food. You can't get those on the east coast*, whereas our delis are at LEAST as good as those out west.

* well, obviously there are Korean restaurants, but unless you live in NYC it's unlikely they'd compare...
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Deli?

For those who make it north of the 49th parallel:

Schwartz's in Montreal

Centre St. Deli in Thornhill (just north of Toronto)

Both are Montreal style delis, which are quite different form New York style delis. For those in the know, hand cut, old -fashioned smoked meat on rye...NOTHING is better!

Back in the day, Shopsy's at Spadina and Dundas for Corned Beef on Rye.

Deli in Canada is very different from deli in the USA
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by remphish1
Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock, NJ is tops for me..I like it better than Katz and Harolds...
Agreed, I have been to Katz's, Bens, 2nd Avenue (the original), all of the Harolds, Carnegie, Stage, etc. but Kosher Nosh is my favorite. Their russian dressing complements one of the best turkey sandwhiches on the planet.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by flying chef
For those who make it north of the 49th parallel:

Schwartz's in Montreal

Centre St. Deli in Thornhill (just north of Toronto)

Both are Montreal style delis, which are quite different form New York style delis. For those in the know, hand cut, old -fashioned smoked meat on rye...NOTHING is better!

Back in the day, Shopsy's at Spadina and Dundas for Corned Beef on Rye.

Deli in Canada is very different from deli in the USA
So funny. I just read through this thread, waiting to get to the end so I could plug Schwartz's. It may be more Montreal style than NY style, but nothing on this planet will ever compare to a smoke meat sandwich from Schwartz's. No pastrami, no corned beef, not even smoked meat from other places in Montreal...for a second I though you mentioned smoked meat and Toronto. That's like saying the bagels are as good as Montreal's.

And whoever mentioned Brent's in Northridge (now Westlake Village too), I second that as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.