Best NY-Style Jewish Delis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best NY-Style Jewish Delis

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by mlshanks
I can't speak to "NY" Delis...as I'm a third-generation L.A. boy (w/ Jewish family)...

That being said, my NYC friends have been favorably impressed with:

Langer's (arguably the best pastrami on the planet!)
Brent's (Northridge)

or the grandfathers of LA Delis
Greenblatt's
or
Canter's ...where as a young teen I used to scandalize my kosher Zeda by asking the waiter for "ham and cheese on a bagel."
NY-STYLE...that's the key word. Many great delis all over the country!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
I am in SoCal.

Langers near MacArthur Park is good. So it Katella Deli in Los Alamitos.

Jerry's Deli.. forget it. Since they changed their menu with this NY or LA crap, it has been a ripoff. The NY version is now 1/2 the meat from the original, but the same price. The LA version is 1/2 a sandwich of the NY version. I used to go there alot, but now with the rip off prices.. forget it.

In NY, I liked Katz and Carnegie Deli. I never did like Bens (poor service).
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Chicago, the best deli is actually in the burbs - Kaufman's, in Skokie. Everything's great BUT if it's just bagels you're after, go to New York Bagel & Bialy, also in Skokie.

edit: oh, and Manny's, in the south loop, is also worth a mention. Not a deli per se, more an old fashioned Jewish lunch cafeteria type of place. Though they do have a pretty good (and huge) pastrami sandwich.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Shapiro's in Indianapolis.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Airokid
Harold's in Edison, NJ. The best.
http://www.haroldsfamousdeli.com/

The portions are extreme to say the least.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:07 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
NY-STYLE...that's the key word. Many great delis all over the country!
And what to you defines "NY-style"?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
I grew up going to H&I in Oceanside, NY, which is long gone, but we had a neighbor who worked at Ben's in Baldwin and often had food from there, too.

But the deli I dream of (and make pilgrimages to when I can) is the 2nd Avenue Deli. It's expensive and crowded and surly (and no longer on 2nd Ave), but the food is wonderful.

I like Pico Kosher Deli in L.A., too.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Snarling service.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Jewish delicatessen originated in Eastern Europe and was first brought to the USA via NY. Since NY was (and somewhat still is, although LA has caught up) the center of Jewish deli in America, it set the bar for delis across the country. As such, numerous delis around the country feature products as seen/perfected/etc. in NY such as corned beef, pastrami, etc. Some even have a NY decor/theme and/or include NY in the name of the deli. Some are started by native New Yorkers, while others are started by lovers of NY deli. There are countless delis across the country in various cities that are absolutely delicious, some of which have infused their items with their own twist, local flavors, etc. For example, Detroit is supposedly home to the best rye bread in the country due to its double-baked production method. So to directly answer your question, NY-style is essentially incorporating deli's American origin in the taste, appearance, name, etc.
Originally Posted by Rampo
Snarling service.
That's part of the experience and perfectly expected/acceptable only in this business
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I went to Pomperdale in Ft Lauderdale and it was pretty good. I asked my Israeli friend in NY for recommendations, he took me to Kat's last time I went to see him. Big sandwiches at $8 each, quite authentic in my (albeit novice) opinion.

I'm of Indian descent, and there were certainly a couple of 'sure you're in the right place?' looks when I walked in, even more when I said I just wanted mustard on my sandwich. I can't deal with coleslaw etc on my meat haha
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL KM
Deli may be disappearing, but not here in Michigan. Most are going strong and are well supported.

Now, after saying that, I think Tony's is closed. I used to drive by there often, but recently moved a bit east of there. I'll should be by there in the next few days and will check it out for you!

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Deli is already sadly disappearing. The generation that brought deli to NY from eastern Europe is gone. The kids now running those delis are dealing with much slimmer margins due to higher costs and/or a willingness of consumers to not pay more (compared to a decent 8-10 oz. steak, you get the same amount of meat of high quality on a deli sandwich for less than half the price), changed eating habits (either more sophisticated like sushi or healthy options or chain restaurants), and overall a disconnect. Yes, some delis in some neighborhoods still thrive, but in the grand scheme of things, deli has declined and continues to do so. You need to read the book for the many statistics given.

Being from MI, have you eaten at Tony's Embers? I'm willing to make a trip up there just for that experience.

I wouldn't 'run' to Ben's...maybe I am biased because the original Ben's was only 10-15 minutes away while growing up and it was the best deli around at the time. Somewhat commercialized, but the food is delicious for what it is...and most importantly, consistent. I've also befriended the mangers and servers.

I can't believe I left out Katz's in my OP. Katz's is hands down the BEST deli.

Supposedly Larry King eats breakfast there every morning.

You must! Expect a line out the door, rushed counter service and on AWESOME hole-in-the-wall experience! The food was simply amazing. It's supposedly the oldest Jewish deli in the country still run by the same family. My grandmother lived across the street in the 20s and ate there! It's not kosher so they also have MD crab cakes (didn't try one due to time constraints and the already large feast I ate there).
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Alas there are no good authentic delis in my home base in Chicago, but when I get a craving I head out west to Nate n Al's (414 N.Beverly Dr.BH,CA) for melt in your mouth pastrami, buttery delicious matzo brei and crustiest servers this side of the Hudson(not to mention Larry King most every morning I have ever been there). My parents, grandparents and great-grandparents have all enjoyed this before me, and i feel the tradition every time I step through the door. I can't wait for my next meal there a week from Sat when I am next in LA. Canters (419 N.Fairfax Ave. LA) comes in a close second due to great bagels and gooey desserts like bubby (or her cook)used to make.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:24 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
My very first (circa 1955) pastrami on rye with cole slaw was at a place on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks. Does anyone know if Art's was ever in Sherman Oaks? I believe that must have been the place.

I've been to several places in Manhattan and Miami, but never really found perfection. I was really disappointed in Carnegie a few years ago. Now my old standby is Langer's in LA.

I must tell you that these days I avoid mega-cholesterol like the plague, but do occasionally make my own stuffed hoagies at home (I'm a native Philadelphian, and will not set foot in places like Subway).

In my opinion, it's all about the bread! Without decent bread, you don't really have NY Deli or Philly Subs at all.

Last edited by Daawgon; Oct 20, 2010 at 12:34 am
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:05 am

One deli I remember enjoying is Rein's Deli, which is located in Vernon, Connecticut.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by gleff
And indeed, I thought the Boca location was pretty mediocre.
The Boca location started out well, but went downhill. I went a few times, as it was on Rewards Network, but I soon lost interest.

Nothing comes close to the original Pastrami King, the one on Queens Blvd. (across from the Courts building). They had their own smokehouse in the back of the property, did their own curing, and had the best pastrami I've ever tasted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.