Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by greg0ire
.... and it still feels wrong.
must be some Catholic in you as well
Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
must be some Catholic in you as well
Still Jewish because it was my mom who made me feel wrong.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:44 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by ainternational
For those in the Bay Area, check out Refuge in San Carlos on the peninsula. Rather amazing pastrami. It's thick cut but melts in your mouth.

And an amazing beer list to boot.
Just found this thread again. Awesome reuben sandwich, but it is a schlep to get to. Also, the limited hours are sooooooooooooo annoying. Finally, if anyone is planning on checking this out, then I strongly recommend res since seating options are limited (especially in inclement weather).
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:20 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Another very good deli in NYC is Jay & Lloyd's in Brooklyn.

My favorite is still Katz's for pastrami and an egg cream among other tasty items.

Ben's Best Deli in Rego Park, Queens makes very good potato latkes.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:03 pm

A tongue sandwich and a chocolate phosphate at Sam and Hy's on Dempster in Skokie - been closed for many years, but it was our "treat" place as kids. Of course, when my grandparents visited us from New York and we took them there, they kept telling us how it didn't live up to "their" NY delis ("You call this brisket?!"). As to Kaufman's, it still hasn't re-opened since it had a fire last year.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by uxb
Just found this thread again. Awesome reuben sandwich, but it is a schlep to get to. Also, the limited hours are sooooooooooooo annoying. Finally, if anyone is planning on checking this out, then I strongly recommend res since seating options are limited (especially in inclement weather).
Wasn't aware of the limited hours. Only have been for lunch. Did you see that beer list?!

Hey, so when you're ready for more, this time go to Ike's in Redwood City, SF or Cupertino and order the "Not a Reuben" on dutch crunch with everything. It's the best sammy I've had in a long time.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:10 am
uxb

Originally Posted by ainternational
Wasn't aware of the limited hours. Only have been for lunch. Did you see that beer list?!

Hey, so when you're ready for more, this time go to Ike's in Redwood City, SF or Cupertino and order the "Not a Reuben" on dutch crunch with everything. It's the best sammy I've had in a long time.
Redwood City is even further away!!! :-P I had a bit of a Clipper card fiasco. At Millbrae, for whatever, reason, my card doesn't register on or off, so $10,75 is deducted, but $8,00 is never returned when I tap out. Ugh!

Anyway, sounds like a plan otherwise.

Re: limited hours, it is a smart business practise to create/maintain strong demand for a product. There was a place in Berkeley I used to frequent called Rocky's Hamburger and Cheesesteak. It was on Shattuck, but I dun think you could call it in Berkeley since it was near Ashby BART. Anyway, the owner had banked on college folks filling the seats, but because he was located too far away from Downtown Berkeley BART, the owner ended up maintaining long, gruelish hours. They finally went belly up earlier this year.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MichaelWTravels
Ben's Best Deli in Rego Park, Queens makes very good potato latkes.
I ate there for my first time last week, excellent sandwiches too ^

Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:03 pm

I usually only get matzo ball soup when I go to Jewish-style delis, so for the MD suburbs of DC, I'd recommend Uptown Deli in Bethesda - tasted homemade with light, fluffy matzo balls. I was not a fan of the matzo ball soup at the Parkway Deli in Silver Spring.

Keep in mind my recommendation is only in regard to their matzo ball soup!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 2:20 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Originally Posted by CMK10
I ate there for my first time last week, excellent sandwiches too ^

Glad you enjoyed! The sandwich I had was also very good but to me the latkes stood out.

Last edited by MichaelWTravels; Apr 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Finally made it to Katz's last week. That hand cut pastrami is amazing. In my view Langer's has better bread than anyone else, but Katz's is now king for me.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:33 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Originally Posted by Dudemius
Finally made it to Katz's last week. That hand cut pastrami is amazing. In my view Langer's has better bread than anyone else, but Katz's is now king for me.
Did you get a chance to try any of the other tasty items at Katz's???
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:47 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by Dudemius
We'll have to agree to disagree in re: Langer's.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:18 pm

it's always fun to chat up the guys at katz's...if you're nice and/or tip well they'll give you extra stuff.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:42 pm

You know, I am born and raised in Brooklyn and my fav is actually Famous in Philadelphia.
They have the absolute BEST corned beef on this planet.

I'm going to NY in May and definitely will drive to Famous. LOVE IT!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.