FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Tipping-Who has been chased down outside a restaurant (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1105458-tipping-who-has-been-chased-down-outside-restaurant.html)

mike_asia Jul 14, 2010 11:46 am

Tipping-Who has been chased down outside a restaurant

Ever had the waiter/waitress come out of the restaurant and complain you did not give a big enough tip?

CMK10 Jul 14, 2010 3:52 pm

No. I'd bet a large sum of money this will never happen to me as well.

milepig Jul 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Actuially still IN the restaurant, and the situation was NO tip rather than too small.

Fairly embarrasing actually, I was part of a group or maybe 4-5 people, and another member collected all our cash and then put the whole thing on his credit card, neglecting to add a tip.

I was sort of the last one leaving and the waiter pulled me aside and explained the lack of a tip for what was a fairly large bill.

I offered to take care of it, and it turned out that since I didn't have enough cash (having just GIVEN all my cash to the person who paid the bill) I tried to put it on my credit card. Turned out they couldn't bill me for tax only, so I "bought" a cup of coffee and left a huge tip.

Flahusky Jul 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by mike_asia (Post 14299312)
Ever had the waiter/waitress come out of the restaurant and complain you did not give a big enough tip?

If that was to ever happen, I assure you there is a call to the restaurant owner/mgr in question and snail mail to back up the call.
Depending on the wait persons attitude, a call to the local police for assault may happen.

SkeptiCallie Jul 14, 2010 4:23 pm

It was a cab, but--

Years ago, some friends arrived in Manhattan for the summer with two or three suitcases. I met them, and we hailed a cab.

The friends paid the cab driver but neglected to add enough to the tip to cover handling the suitcases. It wasn't a deliberate oversight, they were just very young. So the cab driver threw the suitcases some distance, maybe 10-15 feet, and called the friends a phrase I had never heard until then or, for that matter, have heard since. Frightening incident with the suitcases, more than it sounds, and we were shaking for some time.

One of the friends, however, had the presence of mind to run to the cab while this was happening and get his name or number from the dashboard. and she subsequently filed a report. He faced an administrative hearing some weeks after. The board wrote her and told her that she wouldn't have to appear in court, as he had pleaded guilty.

gj83 Jul 14, 2010 4:30 pm

In Jamaica they came after the group I was with twice saying we didn't pay them enough.

This is one of the many reasons I don't plan on returning to Jamaica.

neuron Jul 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie (Post 14301098)
Years ago, some friends arrived in Manhattan for the summer with two or three suitcases. I met them, and we hailed a cab.

The friends paid the cab driver but neglected to add enough to the tip to cover handling the suitcases. It wasn't a deliberate oversight, they were just very young. So the cab driver threw the suitcases some distance, maybe 10-15 feet, and called the friends a phrase I had never heard until then or, for that matter, have heard since. Frightening incident with the suitcases, more than it sounds, and we were shaking for some time.

One of the friends, however, had the presence of mind to run to the cab while this was happening and get his name or number from the dashboard. and she subsequently filed a report. He faced an administrative hearing some weeks after. The board wrote her and told her that she wouldn't have to appear in court, as he had pleaded guilty.

Also had it happen from a cab driver. Friend had just moved to the city and we were taking a cab. He offered to pay so I got out and headed towards the restaurant. He hops out and I hear the cab driver cursing out the window. I asked him - "did you leave a tip?" and he replied, "I rounded up". I laughed and said welcome to New York!

TimF1975 Jul 14, 2010 5:08 pm

I was at a Thai place with a few friends. One guy was taking care of the bill (we all threw in what we thought was our share) when I got up and walked out. It was probably a $60 or $70 check and he messed up his math and only left $5 tip. The girl chased him down and yells, "Five bucks? That's it?" It was pretty embarrassing for him.

Spiff Jul 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Never.

Devildawg13 Jul 14, 2010 5:35 pm

Blame goes to the cheesy lowners of such cheesy places that tips are lifelines

I remember some eons ago when I was in my late teens and working the front desk at Mount Washington Hotel, Bretton woods, New Hampshire, two of the executive staff dining room waitresses chased after me when I returned to my official hotel duties at the front desk and proceeded to embarass me in front of some of the hotel's guests I was helping at the time, for not leaving them a tip there and then, instead of them waiting for staff-tips at week's end as was executive staff's custom of paying up dining room tips at end of week.

Needless to say they neither received any tips from me (or any of the other members of executive staff at end of week as they were discharged from service by the hotel's owners within the hour after the incident.

NEVER had it happen anywhere else afterward, hotel or restaurant or bar.

Of course, since graduation from college, and holding a comfortable position with accompanying comfortable perks, I can well afford NOT to patronize cheesy-places where management hires cheap labor that need to chase cheapstake people down to beg after what reasonably fair tips that should be left for their good service, especially after either a large bill or party of 4 or more.

Management of many of these establishments charge sufficient (be it hotel, restaurant and club, lounge or bar), that they ought to pay their staff a decent, living wage without the need for reliance on tips.

4now Jul 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Takes me back 40 years or so, when I was young and fresh outta the hills. At the Frisch's Big Boy on Central Parkway in Cincinnati, I saw a waitress get into a mean argument in the parking lot over a tip. Said to myself then and there that that would never happen to me; and it never has;).

Non-NonRev Jul 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Latter 1980s; I had just started a job, and a group of seven went to the nearby Chevys in Greenbrae (Marin County, California) for drinks and dinner. The service was so atrocious (more mean-spirited than inept) that we decided as a group to leave only 10 percent.

As we went out to our cars, the waitress and one of the managers ran out into the parking lot screaming "YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE TEN PERCENT FOR THAT BILL". One member of the party said, "Oh yes we can, and with such bad service, she barely deserves that"!

As they slithered back inside, the male yelled "don't come back" to which another of our party retorted "what makes you think we would"?

Italy98 Jul 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 14300963)
Actuially still IN the restaurant, and the situation was NO tip rather than too small.

Fairly embarrasing actually, I was part of a group or maybe 4-5 people, and another member collected all our cash and then put the whole thing on his credit card, neglecting to add a tip.

I was sort of the last one leaving and the waiter pulled me aside and explained the lack of a tip for what was a fairly large bill.

I offered to take care of it, and it turned out that since I didn't have enough cash (having just GIVEN all my cash to the person who paid the bill) I tried to put it on my credit card. Turned out they couldn't bill me for tax only, so I "bought" a cup of coffee and left a huge tip.

Originally Posted by Flahusky (Post 14300969)
If that was to ever happen, I assure you there is a call to the restaurant owner/mgr in question and snail mail to back up the call.
Depending on the wait persons attitude, a call to the local police for assault may happen.

milepig Which is why I offer to leave the tip. I see the bill and collect the appropriate amount from whoever is paying the check. Precludes any embarrassing scenes while ensuring an appropriate amount has been collected from everyone in the group.

Flahusky, would your response apply in milepig's situation?

Jaimito Cartero Jul 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 14301526)

As they slithered back inside, the male yelled "don't come back" to which another of our party retorted "what makes you think we wound"?

So, you weren't hurt at all? ;)

PFKMan23 Jul 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Never have. To be honest, I feel that it's pretty unprofessional and speaks poorly of the restaurant and the person who does the chasing.