FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   ATTENTION: Cilantro Haters. A must-read (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1073978-attention-cilantro-haters-must-read.html)

obscure2k Apr 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC (Post 13777396)
I hate it. Totally ruins anything it is in for me.

I would absolutely love to visit Vietnam, but the cilantro is literally the only thing that's stopping me.

I make my own guacamole and salsa and substitute parsley (which I love) for cilantro.

I don't eat Indian food at all, and cilantro is definately a big reason.

As much as I detest cilantro, it wouldn't stop me from visiting somewhere. Not every dish in Vietnam contains cilantro. Also, Trader Joes makes an excellent cilantro-free quacamole.

Steph3n Apr 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Parsley in guacomole? YECK!!!!

:D

I love cilantro, could eat it daily.

PresRDC Apr 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 13779822)
As much as I detest cilantro, it wouldn't stop me from visiting somewhere. Not every dish in Vietnam contains cilantro. Also, Trader Joes makes an excellent cilantro-free quacamole.

We'll see. I'd probably still go. If all else fails, I know they have McDonalds. ;)

As for store bought guac, that's another thread, but I alwasy prefer to make my own. Takes only a few minutes.

milepig Apr 16, 2010 3:53 pm

I tested this cilantro hatred thing at dinner last night. Out of a group of 8, without being prompted two people said "it tastes like soap."

obscure2k Apr 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 13785993)
I tested this cilantro hatred thing at dinner last night. Out of a group of 8, without being prompted two people said "it tastes like soap."

Interesting in that they were not prompted and had not read the article. Thanks for your input.

MileageAddict Apr 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Cilantro....mmmmmm! I had chicken and cilantro (heavy on the cilantro!) Asian dumplings for my lunch today. :)

Madhouse24 Apr 17, 2010 1:26 am

I'm a huge cilantro lover as well but everyone I know who doesn't like it, hates it...boo to them:D

WelshGirl Apr 17, 2010 12:45 pm

I adore a beautiful salsa ( perfect with grilled chicken) made from finely chopped watermelon, red onion, coriander and a squeeze of lime.Summer in a sauce.Yummy

Steph3n Apr 17, 2010 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by WelshGirl (Post 13790460)
I adore a beautiful salsa ( perfect with grilled chicken) made from finely chopped watermelon, red onion, coriander and a squeeze of lime.Summer in a sauce.Yummy

mango and peach work well in such a combo as well, with a bit or a lot of jalapeno as well ;)

FlyerX Apr 17, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks for the link! I also absolutely HATE cilantro. I've even tried to like it but I just can't. I can tell, even in very small amounts, when it's in my food. I can't explain it, but it makes my brain hurt.

longwaybackhome Apr 18, 2010 10:39 pm

I absolutely adore cilantro, though for some reason I think I should hate it. I'm craving some Mexican food now, and it's 12:40 am.

N965VJ Apr 19, 2010 7:51 am

It tastes like soap to me, but the article mentioned that you can condition yourself to liking it. It’s tough to find good fresh salsa without cilantro, so I just add a little extra hot sauce.

nkedel Apr 20, 2010 7:23 pm

For such a love-it-or-hate-it herb, I find it oddly unmoving. I don't dislike it, enjoy it in moderation in say, Mexican food or when they sometimes include it in Pho or the occaisonal tomato soup (CX lounge in HKG had a memorably good one!) but don't care for it enough to use it when I cook.

Meanwhile, it seems like a lot of people who like it REALLY like it, and I don't get that either; my wife uses wayyy too much of the stuff when she cooks for herself.

Daawgon Apr 22, 2010 4:48 pm

It's the amount of cilantro that I hate - I can take it in small doses. It seems to me that it's used in much more abundance in Tex-Mex food than in real Mexican Food. As for Vietnamese, I've encountered very little in their food, but it's true that they love fresh herbs of all kinds.

Buster Apr 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 13766010)
i'm surprised that no one has mentioned the taste comparison to aluminum foil. :confused: I find the taste more comparable to foil than soap.

This is my reaction to it - I don't find it to taste soapy, but I do find that it tastes very metallic. I hate it, as does my dad - I always wondered if there was a genetic component to that.