Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Out Food Worth Flying For - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: SM Gold, MP 2P, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC
Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer
From around Austin or San Antonio - I would recommend stopping in any HEB grocery or other and looking at things you can't find at home - many shelf stable hot sauces and salsas (look for local made and not Pace), real tortilla chips like El Milagro (they will crush so you'd need them in a box).
I second the above, but particularly HEB's in-store made fresh butter tortillas. They often are still warm when you buy them and are deliciously thin. Plus, no refrigeration or freezing necessary to get them home!

Another place that could be interesting for grabbing food is the Strip District in PIT, especially with all the decent PIT deals and fares lately.

The Strip is attached to Downtown so its a bit of a way from the airport, but has amazing wholesale grocers with storefronts for regular shoppers; I strongly suggest PennMac (www.pennmac.com) for the best selection of italian meats and cheeses I've seen outside Italy (plus you don't have to deal with finicky customs to get it home).

Wholey's is another winner as a great fish market -- they pack to ship or transport, no problem.

The Parma Sausage makes delicious italian sausage and all kinds of their own smoked pepperoni, proscuitto, etc. Overall, the Strip District is foodie heaven, yummmm. (Don't miss Pittsburgh Popcorn Company, the chocolate cruch popcorn is amazing)
Old May 10, 2011, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Fresh live lobster from New England.

I once carried a couple from Maine through ORD to SAT.
I used to bring them to PDX all the time.

Originally Posted by u2fan
The reasoning behind this is interesting. The airlines do not consider live lobster to be an animal (and thus subject to any carrying animals onboard regulations), but consider it food.
Very interesting. I'd make a poor taste joke about my cat, but no, I won't.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me it's Wine from France and/or Chocolates from Swiss or Belgium.
Old May 12, 2011, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Don't take sushi or any glutinous rice that has been refrigerated. Tastes awful if you can't heat it up. Went to Uwajimaya in Seattle to stock up before a SEA-KEF flight last year. Didn't go down very well.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dope Man
Oh... Voodoo is great. The couple times I've been there, they've always sold out of the Bacon Maple Bar. Still need to go back and try it.

Hmm.. I'll give Frost a try next time I'm heading to Seattle.
I believe Frost does the bacon maple bars, too
Old May 12, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Originally Posted by piratejo
I second the above, but particularly HEB's in-store made fresh butter tortillas. They often are still warm when you buy them and are deliciously thin. Plus, no refrigeration or freezing necessary to get them home!
If they are making them while your in the store ask them for one. I get a tortilla every week when shopping.

Austin TX, Round rock donut 4lb donut
Chicago Il, Nancy's stuffed pizza. Not sure of the logistics on this one.
Old May 17, 2011, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Nothing like Teppanyaki, and a side of sushi.. with a bowl of rice..

Inflight.^
Old May 20, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
i usually just bring a sandwich and a piece of fruit, after being glared at by other passangers enough for having fragrant food i try to avoid it now
Old May 20, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Airokid
Cheesesteaks in PHL
Terrible idea for long-distance take-out...
Old May 20, 2011, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Don't take sushi or any glutinous rice that has been refrigerated. Tastes awful if you can't heat it up. Went to Uwajimaya in Seattle to stock up before a SEA-KEF flight last year. Didn't go down very well.
Oops.. need to point out..

Definitely fresh sushi..

The sushi sitting around.. the rice becomes hard, and basically rather not have any.. and make sure the Teppanyaki is warm as well.. consume as soon as soon as the plane reaches altitude.
Old May 24, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
I had a couple of Whataburgers flown in. I think the're great and a friend never tried them so I had to get them. He liked them, but they were expensive.
Old May 24, 2011, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by missydarlin
VooDoo donuts in Portland
I had a four hour layover in PDX last Sat night while on a mileage run. We got in a little early so I decided to check the rental car rates and found a decent enough one so I made a quick trip over to Voodoo Doughnuts (their Downtown store is currently closed for rennovations, but the original location is open 24 hours).

I think the whole errand took a little over an hour to complete. I got a lot of jealous looks from people at the airport and on my flights; the TSA folks told me they were going to do an "E.A.T. inspection" of my box.

A few years ago, I flew into TPA on another mileage run and drove down to Sarasota and picked up a frozen Turducken. We cooked that bad boy up a few days later and fed about 20 people.
Old May 25, 2011, 2:05 pm

One of the reasons I drive 5+ hours to ORD for my TATL flights is so I can stop at the Giordanos on Higgins Road near the airport for a couple of pizzas.
Old May 25, 2011, 6:24 pm

Originally posted by Flyin Hawaiin
I had a four hour layover in PDX last Sat night while on a mileage run. We got in a little early so I decided to check the rental car rates and found a decent enough one so I made a quick trip over to Voodoo Doughnuts (their Downtown store is currently closed for rennovations, but the original location is open 24 hours).
I was in PDX for the weekend when the Voodoo downtown location was closing up for renovations last month. Of course all weekend there was a line around the block to get in. The funniest thing was seeing all of the Voodoo boxes in the overhead carry on bins on on the way home. (I did manage to score a couple of the Bacon Maple and they never made it to the airport.)
Old May 25, 2011, 7:47 pm
Suspended

BKK for the street food.

STS for a growler of Pliny the Elder put in the hold

/thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.