Wiki Posts
Search

Diners, Drive Ins & Dives (Food Network) TV Show

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
Diners, Drive Ins & Dives (Food Network) TV Show

I am new here and did a little searching but didn't find anything. After a suggestion from a co-worker I have very recently begun to try and visit as many of the locations featured on DDD as possible when traveling around the country. While all may be featured on DDD they are definitely not all worthy of their prices, waits, or long drives. I thought it might be cool if we could all share our experiences at these various places.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/diners-dr...ves/index.html

If this thread already exists, please disregard.

On my most recent trip to Phoenix I visited Thee Pitts Again, Overeasy, Giuseppes on 28th, and Matt's Big Breakfast; here are my thoughts:

Thee Pitts Again, Glendale, AZ
I landed in Phoenix around 9am from the East Coast and decided to head to Thee Pitts as my first DDD stop of my vacation. I got the hot open brisket sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy. It was very generously portioned and tasted fantastic. My parents had the pork and slaw sandwiches which were out of this world as well. The service was attentive and the decor of the place was great. Perhaps the best part of my meal was the "dough pickles" appetizers. They are breaded and fried pickle slivers served with ranch dressing and they were OUT OF THIS WORLD! I definitely recommend trying these when you vist Thee Pitts.

Overeasy
I went to Overeasy for breakfast on January 1st...waited about 20-25 minutes for a table which didn't seem too excessive given the popularity of the place and the holiday. The cofee available while waiting is a very nice touch. I had the fried chicken and waffles, nothing special at all. The chicken lacked taste and the waffle was nothing special. The waitress was a sarcastic rude which didn't go over well with me as I was trying to get a to a tee time and a nearby course. My parents had blueberry waffles and an omelette. They both were very good and the omelette was HUGE. Be careful as I saw many tables near me getting french toast that was SMOTHERED in syrup and they had to send it back for dryer portions. Overall, worth a shot if the wait isn't too long but I wouldn't wait for it again. Try Matt's instead, now THAT's worth the wait!

Giuseppe's on 28th
There is no doubt in my mind this place has changed since being featured on DDD 3 years ago. The wait wasn't terrible, 25 minutes on a Monday night (the place is very small.) However, the value, portion size, and overall cost was simply not worth it. First off, I have never been to a small italian place like this where they charge $3 for a few pieces of bread. The bruschetta variety appetizer was tasty but nothing special. $13.95 for a plate of 18 pieces of rigatoni in a cream sauce is REDICULOUS. That doesn't even include bread! My father had Osso Buco ($19) which he said was excellent so I would definitely reccomend that. My mother ordered a side meatball ($2) and it was about half the size of a ping pong ball, not exactly worth it. Overall, the prices have DEFINITELY gone up (although I don't know for sure) since being featured on the Food Network. Even you are a DDD junkie then you will probably still try it, but beyond that it is nothing special.

Matt's Big Breakfast
Matt's was DEFINITELY worth the wait, I went theri the morning of December 31 and waited about 75 minutes for a table of 3. The salami scramble was AMAZING. My parents shared an omelette and a waffle which were both phenomenal as well. The service was great as they work in teams and there isn't just one person waiting on you. The portion sizes were very generious as well. I definitely reccommend the has browns and sour dough toast. While the wait may be long, you won't find better breakfast elsewhere. Keep in mind, this is not for the health conscious...I usually eat very healthy but everything here is smothered in butter and oil, that is why it tastes so great!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:46 pm

You should have passed up Giuseppes and gone to http://www.lapiazzaalforno.com/Default.cfm . We tried it about 6 months ago and it was just as good as Guy described it.

We had the linguine with clam sauce and the Italian stallion pizza, which were both very good.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by Devyan1
IMatt's Big Breakfast
Matt's was DEFINITELY worth the wait, I went theri the morning of December 31 and waited about 75 minutes for a table of 3. The salami scramble was AMAZING. My parents shared an omelette and a waffle which were both phenomenal as well. The service was great as they work in teams and there isn't just one person waiting on you. The portion sizes were very generious as well. I definitely reccommend the has browns and sour dough toast. While the wait may be long, you won't find better breakfast elsewhere. Keep in mind, this is not for the health conscious...I usually eat very healthy but everything here is smothered in butter and oil, that is why it tastes so great!
Sorry, but I cannot imagine any restaurant anywhere worth a wait of 75 minutes.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
I would highly recommend Kuma's: it's in Chicago.
They are noted for their hamburgers and they are very good. I have been there many times and never a meal.
In addition to the food, the place is not dull. Customers are all kinds, but this is basically a tattooed, biker bar. As far as tattoos and bikes go, I have nothing in common with the crowd and bartenders, yet they make me feel welcome and are friendly yet professional.
If you are into Rewards Network they give miles for United, and I assume others.
www.kumascorner.com

Last edited by u2fan; Jan 6, 2010 at 3:34 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
I went to the Cove in San Antonio.
Keep in mind its not in the best area of town, but is not too far by car from downtown.

I went in the middle of the week, and the place was pretty much empty (maybe 10 people). They had a large outside beer garden, but we opted for the dark and divey, but interestingly decorated wood interior. It kind of resembled an old barn. They had open-mic night, and there was a young girl singing most of the time who was phenomenal. We sat at the bar which had large glass cases filled with a huge selection of beer from all over the world. The bartender was very friendly, and also really knew her beer, which surprised me as this did not seem like your typical high-end beer joint.

After our introduction to the texas beer world, it was time to order some grub. The prices were not too expensive, so I ordered the lamb burger (showcased on DDD) along with the fish taco, which they claimed to be their specialty. One of the busboys overheard and gave a (sarcastic) spiel about how no one had ordered a fish taco in years, and they would have to dig some old fish out of the freezer (while wearing a shirt advertising the fish tacos).

After a few more rounds of beer, the food came. Its been a little while so I don't remember the exact details, but the lamb burger and fries were both great! Very unique and not too heavy. The fish tacos were decent, but overshadowed by the burger, and not a must try.

Overall, this place has great atmosphere, very friendly staff, and the food/beer to go with it! Highly recommend checking it out if you want to get off the riverwalk and enjoy some laid back drinks and grub.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:14 pm

I've been to two DDD restaurants, both in Texas. In Dallas I went to the Twisted Root Burger Company. They specialize in interesting burgers and make their own root beer. I had the burger with tangy buffalo sauce and blue cheese and sweet potato fries. Also the house root beer. The burger was very good, not the best I've had but this is not a fancy restaurant by any means. The fries were great and the root beer IMO average. I prefer IBC or Hires. It's a fun place to visit and the food is interesting and good. I'd go again and try another of their interesting burgers, perhaps buffalo.

In San Antonio (actually Adkins) I went to Texas Pride BBQ. It was just as advertised, meaning a typical BBQ joint atmosphere, this time in a converted old gas station surrounded by old vehicles. I think I had the brisket and sausage combination which was excellent. Terrific place to eat.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
In Chicago, Paradise Pup and Hackney's on Harms have both been destinations for FT events before DDD recognition. Some of the best burgers, two different styles of place. Paradise Pup is basically carry-out only, and Hackney's is an old-style roadhouse with a summer patio. I've been going to Hackney's for over 40 years.

Also in Chicago:
- White Palace is basic diner food. If you're passing by, it is worth going to at about 4am on most days for an early breakfast. Otherwise nothing special.
- Vito and Nick's is great thin crust pizza. I go to the one in Lemont instead of the original on 87th/Pulaski because it's closer to my house. Plus it's in a bowling alley - can't beat that kind of ambiance.
- The Shanty is on US 41 near the Wisconsin border. I thought it was good enough but not outstanding. But it's definitely a dive roadhouse, which is why it made sense on DDD.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't remember exactly how, but I downloaded the DDD locations into my garmin.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Just take care of your health while you visit these eateries. They are some of the worst artery clogging foods you'll ever eat.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:18 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Blue Berry Hill, several locations, in Las Vegas, great breakfasts, lunch and diner, reasonable prices and great and friendly wait staff, and off the tourist beat......
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by MSchott
In San Antonio (actually Adkins) I went to Texas Pride BBQ. It was just as advertised, meaning a typical BBQ joint atmosphere, this time in a converted old gas station surrounded by old vehicles. I think I had the brisket and sausage combination which was excellent. Terrific place to eat.
I'll second this recommendation. Didn't eat the sausage, but the ribs/brisket were great.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
I've been to 2 of them here:

Iron Barley, St. Louis - spectacular food, all cooked on cast iron. I really enjoyed my schnitzel and spaetzle, along with the cask beer they always have. It can be exceptionally hard to get a table though, as it's a small place.

Sweetie Pie's, St. Louis - soul food like crazy. It's served cafeteria style, so you pick what you want and they dish it onto your tray. Maybe $10 for a full meal of extremely filling soul food.

I'd recommend either if you're ever here in St. Louis.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
In Chicago, Paradise Pup and Hackney's on Harms have both been destinations for FT events before DDD recognition. Some of the best burgers, two different styles of place. Paradise Pup is basically carry-out only, and Hackney's is an old-style roadhouse with a summer patio. I've been going to Hackney's for over 40 years.
Oh I miss my french dip and a loaf of onion rings!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: ac ELITE,aa,nwa, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Dugernaut
I don't remember exactly how, but I downloaded the DDD locations into my garmin.
I don't know how up to date this is but you'll find the file at the bottom of the page if interested, I also have this on the Garmin

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/17389
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:16 pm

Lived for a short while near
"Chino Banditos"
Chandler AZ (there are two locations)
http://www.chinobandido.com/

Definitely exactly as advertised, a little wierd. Always had the same thing...a combo. Tried to mix it up on the contents though. For a combo you get rice (4 options), beans (2) and then two entree items either by themselves, in a burrito, or in a quesadilla. The quesadillas appear to use a mix of cheese and are grilled quite nicely to a perfect crispness. Burritos are pretty flimsy though (IMHO). Effectively, just the protein wrapped in a very thin tortilla. The combo also comes with choice of cookie, which are both very good. anyways of the individual components...

Components
black beans -very good
jerk fried rice -unique and fantastic
other fried rices - good texture, kinda bland

jade chicken - basically sesame chicken but has something else that makes it a much more complex and well balanced flavor. Fantastic
carnitas- good texture, not as flavorful as i might have liked
jerk chicken - very good.
machaca - again, good. High standard in the phoenix area. Actually kinda hit or miss. Some days to dry some days to wet some days perfect.
pollo diablo - spicy but really really good

Personal favourite combo is:
black beans
jerk fried rice
quesadilla with jade red chicken
chicken diablo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.