Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starbucks learns from the airlines: "enhances" Starbucks rewards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Unlike with the Gold Card where you could pay with your own (non-Starbucks) credit card or cash, with the new Rewards program, you only accumulate "stars" when you pay with a Starbucks card. Personally, I have no intention of advancing interest-free loans to Starbucks by adding money to my Rewards card and then leaving it there. You may disagree.

You get one star per purchase regardless of what you buy or how much you spend.

So for example, the following will each earn one star although they are different quantities and prices:
  • One short cup of Pike Place;
  • Two Venti lattes;
  • One 18-cup Coffee Traveler;
  • One dozen cups of coffee (say you're paying for a group or your office mates).
Thanks for the info! I got the gold card (REALLY gold in color) in the mail today and I had no idea there are so many restrictions. I go to Starbucks 4 or 5 times a week and mostly using my corporate credit card since I expense my meals. With these new rules, I wonder what's the best bet for me to utilize the rewards program, or maybe it just doesn't even make sense for me at all. Not sure how I can justify random $5 charges to the Starbucks card from the corporate credit card.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: A few
I tried to use my old black card this morning and the barista said it had expired... I couldn't remember only that I took it out in jan last year. Anyway when I got to office I checked online and it does not expire until 1/22. So BE CAREFUL!

I almost gave up on Sbux last year as it was getting too expensive. My Amex statement showed $1700 of spend with them in 2008. The 10% off for $25 was literally a tipping point in stopping me defecting to cheaper wares.

This year I've spent $1200 so the $25 gave me back around $133 (must have tolled up $1333 so after discount $1200). It's still a lot of money but taking the edge off the pain really helps.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with the new system. My typical week involves latte every morning and then on the weekend the family will pop in for a snack so usually couple of coffees, couple of milks for the kids and a couple of food items. So even if I game this to the max and pay for each item separately (and frankly I don't want to be the d**k in the store doing that) I'm going to be losing out.

Sadly for me there is not much alternative, but I will certainly be trying hard to find them
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by riant
Thanks for the info! I got the gold card (REALLY gold in color) in the mail today and I had no idea there are so many restrictions. I go to Starbucks 4 or 5 times a week and mostly using my corporate credit card since I expense my meals. With these new rules, I wonder what's the best bet for me to utilize the rewards program, or maybe it just doesn't even make sense for me at all. Not sure how I can justify random $5 charges to the Starbucks card from the corporate credit card.
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I tried to use my old black card this morning and the barista said it had expired... I couldn't remember only that I took it out in jan last year. Anyway when I got to office I checked online and it does not expire until 1/22. So BE CAREFUL!

I almost gave up on Sbux last year as it was getting too expensive. My Amex statement showed $1700 of spend with them in 2008. The 10% off for $25 was literally a tipping point in stopping me defecting to cheaper wares.

This year I've spent $1200 so the $25 gave me back around $133 (must have tolled up $1333 so after discount $1200). It's still a lot of money but taking the edge off the pain really helps.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with the new system. My typical week involves latte every morning and then on the weekend the family will pop in for a snack so usually couple of coffees, couple of milks for the kids and a couple of food items. So even if I game this to the max and pay for each item separately (and frankly I don't want to be the d**k in the store doing that) I'm going to be losing out.

Sadly for me there is not much alternative, but I will certainly be trying hard to find them
My "gold card," issued around July, 2009 is black in color.

I uge both of you (and everyone else feeling the same way) to make your displesure known to Starbucks. I have done so both by phone and via their Facebook page. You can also use the feedback section at starbucks.com.

ma91mph, with your spending level, they should be taking you seriously. And I agree; 10% off everything (e.g. coffee and cake) certainly beats one free drink every 15.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Why not try the home espresso machines? This sort of spending on coffee and milk is excessive.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by MWRFlyer
Why not try the home espresso machines? This sort of spending on coffee and milk is excessive.
not really an option when you're traveling
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:14 am

Ha funnily enough we have one of the amazing Nespresso machines at home too, and I go through 5-10 capsules of that per week too, at least. We drink a lot of coffee in Chez MA and on the road

I will go try to get the feedback to Sbux. I am actively looking for cheaper alternatives now
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I will go try to get the feedback to Sbux. I am actively looking for cheaper alternatives now
Please update us on the response you get.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:23 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We go to Starbucks maybe 3 times a week in the evening and always use the card just in case we need the wifi. It's the middle of June and we just got an email saying "Hey, you're now a magical gold member! Wow! Starting from this email, every 15 visits, you'll get one free drink."

So apparently you have to make something like 25 visits EACH YEAR before you even start accumulating free drinks.

As a loyalty program this makes the Delta frequent flyer program look generous.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
We go to Starbucks maybe 3 times a week in the evening and always use the card just in case we need the wifi. It's the middle of June and we just got an email saying "Hey, you're now a magical gold member! Wow! Starting from this email, every 15 visits, you'll get one free drink."

So apparently you have to make something like 25 visits EACH YEAR before you even start accumulating free drinks.

As a loyalty program this makes the Delta frequent flyer program look generous.
It's actually 30 visits to get gold status.

FYI, once your card was registered, it was not necessary for you to buy something with it more than once every thirty days for free wifi. Once you get the gold card, you can use the wifi as long as the card is valid.

As to your comments about the program, I agree completely.

Think of it this way. A customer who buys a short Pike Place ($1.50) gets the same reward as a customer who buys an espresso machine. Better yet, buy one cup of coffee, get one star. Buy two cups of coffee, get one star. Buy four cups of coffee, you still get one star.

I guess none of these pinheads ever figured out the difference between segments, miles and points.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
.. Better yet, buy one cup of coffee, get one star. Buy two cups of coffee, get one star. Buy four cups of coffee, you still get one star.
Well that would be a silly thing to do - we are coming from mile collecting background after all... Both Starbucks stores near me know well by now to ring each of my items separately, I don't even have to ask anymore...
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Well that would be a silly thing to do - we are coming from mile collecting background after all... Both Starbucks stores near me know well by now to ring each of my items separately, I don't even have to ask anymore...
There is a BUX on the Upper East Side of Manhattan where the employees are so bad about this that it recently required a talk with the manager.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt. RewardsNetwork dining.
Free Wifi at Starbucks coming soon

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I make sure I buy something or put some money on the card once every four weeks. The free wifi is great to have.
I read in the paper that Starbucks is going to start doing free WiFi (some links below). I wonder what that will do to their loyalty card business?

I always thought that they charged $ for Wifi not because they wanted the money, but because they couldn't have people sitting there for four hours with a laptop. A deterrent.

Starbucks to begin offering unlimited free Wi-Fi at 6,700 US stores in July
http://www.latimes.com/sns-ap-us-sta...,4396648.story
Starbucks: Free Wi-Fi at 6,700 US sites
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_15294991
Starbucks Previews Free One-click Wi-Fi and Next Generation In-store Digital Content
http://news.starbucks.com/article_di...article_id=397
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, One Pass Silver, SPG Gold
i bought 5 drinks with my card last week.... only got 1 star ...?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Cheaper alternatives for what? Their drip coffee was cheaper than what I got at Dunkin Donuts last time. The other places offering italian style coffee are just as much. The Starbucks where I live is always cheaper than the local roaster. Two breakfast sandwiches and an Americano don't break $10. It's close to $15 at the local place.

I've never bothered with a Starbucks card, but nothing is forever. I mean, you used to get fed, and not just fed, but fed well and give unlimited alcohol on pretty much any flight. You could smoke too. You can't do it anymore. It's just the way the world is. They have laid off a huge amount of staff and closed stores. Staying profitable and an ongoing concern is rather important. To me, it's still the easiest place to find to get a decent cup of coffee, something nutritious for breakfast and a comfortable, clean place to sit. They do also have good staff and they actually give them health insurance. In terms of big evil companies, I think they're a lot further down the spectrum from BP and Microsoft.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:28 pm

I have to say as someone who complained about the new card when it came out i've actually been quite happy... the biggest plus is I can use it at all the airport outlets where I never used to be able to use my old discount card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.