Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:42 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
The most recent beer I can't get for my beer fridge but wish I could is Stash IPA from the Independence Brewing Co. of Austin, Texas. I had some at a beer tasting recently and I'm really impressed. That's one of the best new IPAs I've had in quite some time.
So, you should come to Austin for the Austin Mega Do and join us for some Independence Stash IPA at the local Flying Saucer.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
So, you should come to Austin for the Austin Mega Do and join us for some Independence Stash IPA at the local Flying Saucer.
But don't I have to stay faithful to a friend who tends bar at the Austin Ginger Man? (Although, I think she's away on maternity leave with return uncertain. No, I am not responsible.)

Unfortunately I already have plans for that weekend, otherwise I'd be in Austin for sure.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:11 pm

But don't I have to stay faithful to a friend who tends bar at the Austin Ginger Man? (Although, I think she's away on maternity leave with return uncertain. No, I am not responsible.)

Unfortunately I already have plans for that weekend, otherwise I'd be in Austin for sure.
Oh, we'll be going to the Ginger Man as well.

Sorry that you are already committed, but we will hoist one in your honor.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Guinness
Miller Lite
Asahi Dry
Northwood's Whitetail Wheat
Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I haven't been home for awhile, but when I get back there will soon be a fresh 12 pack of Molson Goldens, some Red Tail Ales and a few Guinness. If I could find any Bitburger Pilsner in Fairbanks, I would replace the Molsons with that.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Ok, wasn't sure if I should post this in the tech forum or here...but I just downloaded a new iphone app last night (ha, at the bar) called Beer Cloud. It's free, so well...if I end up hating it, no loss, but so far seems pretty neat. You can type in your beer, then it'll use your current location to show you what places (stores or bars) nearby have it. It has a Sommelier too, but I haven't really used that yet. We'll see!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by exquisitered
I liked it! However, it was not really uhh...a 'winter' brew the way that I think about winter brews. It didn't really seem very full-bodied...was more light & crisp. It was tasty though, that's for sure. Still have half of the 6-pack in my fridge and will probably finish it this weekend...
Okay, so I got a 6-pack of Shiner Frost this weekend and I have to say that I agree. Quite tasty and crisp, but definitely not a full-bodied ale. We might have to ask our resident beer expert, however, if that is by design or just a short-fall on the part of Spoetzl. According to them, this is a Dortmunder-style ale and they use the words "hearty, full-bodied ale" and "a classic golden ale...that brings a hint of malty sweetness that quickly fades to show a crisp, hoppy character" to describe it.

Personally, I think they could have dropped a few adjectives. IMHO, it is a crisp, golden ale with a hint of malty sweetness, but very little of anything else they use to describe it. Still, it is far from being swill and I would make the purchase again.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:17 am

Okay, so I got a 6-pack of Shiner Frost this weekend and I have to say that I agree. Quite tasty and crisp, but definitely not a full-bodied ale. We might have to ask our resident beer expert, however, if that is by design or just a short-fall on the part of Spoetzl. According to them, this is a Dortmunder-style ale and they use the words "hearty, full-bodied ale" and "a classic golden ale...that brings a hint of malty sweetness that quickly fades to show a crisp, hoppy character" to describe it.

Personally, I think they could have dropped a few adjectives. IMHO, it is a crisp, golden ale with a hint of malty sweetness, but very little of anything else they use to describe it. Still, it is far from being swill and I would make the purchase again.
I haven't had a Shiner Frost yet (haven't even seen a bottle) so I can't say anything about the beer in particular but I can pass along a little information about the Dortmunder style of beer.

I'd expect a Dortmunder-style lager to be malty but not to the point of being biscuity in the way a malt-heavy English ale might come across. The hopping would be light and primarily European "noble hops" with less of the citric flavors of the hop varieties most widely grown in the U.S.

Most of all, I'd expect a beer of moderate alcohol and balanced flavor; remember, this is a style of beer created for coal miners to drink after their shifts underground. It's not something "poundable", but it is something thirst quenching and something that can be drunk by the liter (or two).

I hope this'll do until that "resident beer expert" chimes in.

Last edited by greggwiggins; Feb 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Ok, wasn't sure if I should post this in the tech forum or here...but I just downloaded a new iphone app last night (ha, at the bar) called Beer Cloud. It's free, so well...if I end up hating it, no loss, but so far seems pretty neat. You can type in your beer, then it'll use your current location to show you what places (stores or bars) nearby have it. It has a Sommelier too, but I haven't really used that yet. We'll see!
I wonder if they have their own database or rely on some site such as BeerAdvocate for that data?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:31 pm

...I hope this'll do until that "resident beer expert" chimes in.
LOL. I think he already has.

I'll see if I can find a Dortmunder Union Export or a DAB here locally to compare it to, but from the description you provided, I think Spoetzl is producing more marketing than Dortmunder-style ale.

In the meantime, here is a review and a picture of the bottle/pour:

http://brewyorkcity.wordpress.com/20.../shiner-frost/

Frankly, I think it is tasty, but not all that hoppy. YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:42 pm

I'll see if I can find a Dortmunder Union Export or a DAB here locally to compare it to, but from the description you provided, I think Spoetzl is producing more marketing than Dortmunder-style ale.
Actually, a Dortmunder-style beer is a lager, not an ale. I'll edit my earlier remarks to clarify that.

Oh, and I appreciate your kind praise about and high opinion of my expertise.

Last edited by greggwiggins; Feb 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm Reason: to add my blushing thanks
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:11 pm

LOL. I think he already has.

In the meantime, here is a review and a picture of the bottle/pour:

http://brewyorkcity.wordpress.com/20.../shiner-frost/

Frankly, I think it is tasty, but not all that hoppy. YMMV.
Interesting link! Glad you found my "review" useful. I read BA all the time & could never dream of being able to review beers like the folks on that site. Don't think I'm as good at picking up all those subtle aromas & such. I just know what I like...

Newest beer in the fridge: Brasserie Des Rocs Grand Cru...was feeling lazy & there was nothing interesting that caught my eye, so I picked something I already know I like.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:34 pm

Actually, a Dortmunder-style beer is a lager, not an ale...
LOL. I guess I'm not the one who needs to be convinced. It says right on the label "golden ale" and you can read the words "A Seasonal Ale" on the neck band in the photo, so my comment that Spoetzl is brewing more marketing than actual Dortmunder may not be far off after all.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:39 pm

Interesting link! Glad you found my "review" useful. I read BA all the time & could never dream of being able to review beers like the folks on that site. Don't think I'm as good at picking up all those subtle aromas & such. I just know what I like... ...
Wow. I had no idea that was yours. I just Googled Shiner Frost and there it was.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:49 pm

Wow. I had no idea that was yours. I just Googled Shiner Frost and there it was.
LOL I meant when you said this....

Okay, so I got a 6-pack of Shiner Frost this weekend and I have to say that I agree.
Heh. I haven't gotten smart enough about beer to review it officially yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.