Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is anyone doing the 100% Icelandair bonus??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2007, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Question Is anyone doing the 100% Icelandair bonus??

Oct. 1--Dec. 31/ 2007
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Hadn't known about it...

Iceland is high on my list of places I need to visit, so this is tempting.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
ECOTONE, I don't know if UR serious or sarcastic, but the beauty of Icelandair is that IIRC they always allow a free stopover in Iceland en route from USA--Europe, so U can see both Iceland & mainland Europe on 1 ticket!
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:03 pm

Great deal! Thanks for the heads up. I would certainly like to visit Iceland, and like that you can combine miles and $$ for a ticket. How is award availability on Iceland Air?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:01 am

Looks like DC to Iceland Air for Marriott nights is a good deal. 10,000 DC points for a free night @ Marriott.

http://www.icelandair.co.uk/home/fre...e280/item3201/
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by Schutzee
Looks like DC to Iceland Air for Marriott nights is a good deal. 10,000 DC points for a free night @ Marriott.

http://www.icelandair.co.uk/home/fre...e280/item3201/
Not quite free. Right on that page is says 2000 ISK fee for this (or apparently any partner) award. That's about $32. And of course add to that what DC charges you to transfer 10k DC points, and you're up to about $40.

OTOH, 10k DCpoints during the current Midwest 50% bonus will get you 15k Midwest miles, which transfer to 15k Amtrak Guest Rewards, which transfer to 75k Choice Priveleges hotel points. Which, in turn, you can use for almost 2 nights at plush Preferred or Summit hotels, or 3 to 4 nights at nice Clarion Hotels in Europe (which often cost 16k to 20k depending on country). And, if Choice runs their Preferred/Summit sale again this winter, then for a few months you will be able to get 3 whole nights at those "luxury" properties!

Beats 1 night at Marriott in my book no matter how you skin it, except of course, if you don't have anough DC points to do Midwest this month (becuase the 50% bonus expires at the end of November), or if you want to stay someplace where Marriott is but Preferred/Summit isn't.

And for the Choice transfer, you don't have to pay that $32.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:19 am

Thanks for catching that. That's why I always turn to Flyer Talk before I move points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.