Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I would try: 1 800 234.6377
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I would try: 1 800 234.6377
Called the 800 #. Was told that the signup bonus was part of a promotion for online applications, and that they are no longer accepting online applications and the bonus points were no longer offered. Not sure what to do now.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It's true there is no longer an online application form, but I would try calling a few more times to see if someone will agree to the bonus. It's a longshot, but I might also look at some restaurants or hotels for a paper application.

At a guess, Diners has experienced a high rate of new accounts that cancel at the end of the first year to avoid paying the second annual fee. Citi has repositioned Diners as something other than a "consumer" card and now seems to be actively discouraging those who are only interested in the enrollment bonus. I don't blame them. It's just unfortunate when those who churn spoil it for those who are genuinely interested in the product.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mia
It's true there is no longer an online application form, but I would try calling a few more times to see if someone will agree to the bonus. It's a longshot, but I might also look at some restaurants or hotels for a paper application.

At a guess, Diners has experienced a high rate of new accounts that cancel at the end of the first year to avoid paying the second annual fee. Citi has repositioned Diners as something other than a "consumer" card and now seems to be actively discouraging those who are only interested in the enrollment bonus. I don't blame them. It's just unfortunate when those who churn spoil it for those who are genuinely interested in the product.
While I can somewhat understand their position, I don't completely agree. Most "churners" aren't very interested in applying for cards with an annual fee, especially for only 11k points...and $95 is a relatively high one. And it's not like DC would really lose their shirts charging this fee for 11k points. I would have to think that most people would be a lot more interested in the Advantage MC deal where they can get 30k points in the first year for no annual fee.

Anyway, I may try and speak to another representative. If that doesn't work I may just pick up another Advantage card. 30k miles is a nice bonus...but once again I'll have that mileage cap to deal with. Maybe I'll have to do a gold challenge to remove it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.