Wiki Posts
Search

Record card closure time? 28 seconds.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
Record card closure time? 28 seconds.

I timed it, and from the time that the representative asked for my name, to the time that she thanked me for being a Diners Club customer, it took only 28 seconds to cancel a card that I've had for almost ten years, with annual spend between $10k-$50k depending on the year. No retention department either.

The conversation was:

DC: Hi there, this is x, can I have your name please?
Me: JohnnyGlobal
DC: And your password?
ME: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DC. Thank you. And how can I help you?
Me: I want to cancel my card.
DC: OK. Can I ask you the reason?
Me: Primarily because you don't report to credit agencies now, and because the DC card is less valuable compared to other cards that I use.
DC: I do apologize. The account has been closed and we'll be sending a letter to that effect to the address on file. I thank you for being a Diners Club customer and hope you have a nice day.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Million Miler
Amazing. I will be closing my account also.

I don't see the value of the primary insurance for rental cars as I have primary under my auto policy.

This is just another card with a high annual fee now. Why doesn't Diners Card understand that?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by m60521
Amazing. I will be closing my account also.

I don't see the value of the primary insurance for rental cars as I have primary under my auto policy.

This is just another card with a high annual fee now. Why doesn't Diners Card understand that?
So, are there any cards that do offer more than CDW??

I'm renting in Germany and would like to use the best one - have AmEx Plat/Diners/UnitedVisa(Chase)

TIA!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Call 800-753-5577 if you want the retention department.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Weird. Given the expense of customer acquisition on credit cards, I would think that at a minimum Citibank would try to convert you to one of their fee or no fee sister cards. After all, why did they buy the Diners brand and convert it to the mastercard network if not to grab the customer base?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Weird
The question is: Is it weirdness or incompetence??

As reported in other threads, the retention bonuses are in place; they are even more generous than in prior years; but they are only offered in the most sporadic, haphazard, seemingly arbitrary basis. Why should one customer service agent tell a customer that there are no bonuses available or that the customer does not qualify for any bonus, but another agent a few days later offer the same customer a generous retention bonus? Is it simply agent or system incompetence? Or is there some programmed basis that none of us can see?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
So, are there any cards that do offer more than CDW??

I'm renting in Germany and would like to use the best one - have AmEx Plat/Diners/UnitedVisa(Chase)

TIA!

I figure if you have the AMEX plat it is your best choice. It is second to your car insurance though...

PM and I sned oyu to the TOC....
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
I figure if you have the AMEX plat it is your best choice. It is second to your car insurance though...

PM and I sned oyu to the TOC....
After 14 years, I also plan to drop my DC when it comes up for renewal later this year. I already dropped the additional card holders and only keep the account to pick up the residual recurring bill pay charges that I am converting one-by-one elsewhere.

For U.S. cardholders, I think Visa now outdoes AMEX for international rentals because it also offers 30 days of coverage outside the U.S. and is PRIMARY. I remember there was a time when AMEX Plat offered PRIMARY coverage on international rentals but in recent years the company quietly dropped the coverage to EXCESS for international rentals. Given the annual fee AMEX charges for Plat, I think that is shabby to have reduced the rental coverage. However, I agree with you that I find my AMEX Plat to be my best overall card. Diners seems to have lost interest in maintaining its individual cardholders as customers.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by LAXRuss
For U.S. cardholders, I think Visa now outdoes AMEX for international rentals because it also offers 30 days of coverage outside the U.S. and is PRIMARY. I remember there was a time when AMEX Plat offered PRIMARY coverage on international rentals but in recent years the company quietly dropped the coverage to EXCESS for international rentals. Given the annual fee AMEX charges for Plat, I think that is shabby to have reduced the rental coverage. However, I agree with you that I find my AMEX Plat to be my best overall card. Diners seems to have lost interest in maintaining its individual cardholders as customers.
The fine-print for my Chase UA Visa does say coverage is primary for international.

If you're unhappy with Amex Plat you may want to give Citi Chairman a look. Their lounge access program and other benefits are in most ways better. The restaurant reservations program is not as good however, if that's important to you.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:04 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JohnnyGlobal
I timed it, and from the time that the representative asked for my name, to the time that she thanked me for being a Diners Club customer, it took only 28 seconds to cancel a card that I've had for almost ten years, with annual spend between $10k-$50k depending on the year. No retention department either.

The conversation was:

DC: Hi there, this is x, can I have your name please?
Me: JohnnyGlobal
DC: And your password?
ME: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DC. Thank you. And how can I help you?
Me: I want to cancel my card.
DC: OK. Can I ask you the reason?
Me: Primarily because you don't report to credit agencies now, and because the DC card is less valuable compared to other cards that I use.
DC: I do apologize. The account has been closed and we'll be sending a letter to that effect to the address on file. I thank you for being a Diners Club customer and hope you have a nice day.
I hate it when CSR's do what I ask them to do without putting up a fight ...
Old Jul 27, 2006, 1:46 am

Programs: UA 1P
What took you so long?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
<<why did they buy the Diners brand and convert it to the mastercard network if not to grab the customer base?>>

Citibank has owned Diners since 1981. The decision to utilize Mastercard's network in North America was apparently made primarily because Diners market share was miniscule. I think it is also related to Citi's decision to begin issuing American Express cards as part of the anti-trust settlement, but that is purely personal speculation.

There is ample evidence that Citi no longer considers Diners a consumer product. I agree it is surprising that the representatives are not trained to pitch a specific replacement card based on the customer's stated reason for cancelling.

dennis

Last edited by mia; Jul 27, 2006 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by Beckles
I hate it when CSR's do what I ask them to do without putting up a fight ...
My thoughts, exactly. It took me 28 seconds to cancel my AA citibank card and was quite pleased. But then, I was calling to cancel a card.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hedoman
My thoughts, exactly. It took me 28 seconds to cancel my AA citibank card and was quite pleased. But then, I was calling to cancel a card.
I'm with you 100%. But it was like when you call a significant other to break up--and you really do want to end the relationship--but that person doesn't even put up a fight or give you the impression that they care! It felt good to cancel the card, but I would've liked just a little bit of love
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:47 pm

not a consumer product/

[QUOTE=miaThere is ample evidence that Citi no longer considers Diners a consumer product. dennis[/QUOTE]

Really?
could you please elaborate? I'm curious. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.