Retention bonus

Old Nov 2, 06, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat,Starbucks Gold
Thumbs up Took The $$$

I called the retention line today and was offered 10,000 points over 5 months or the $95 credit. I took the credit. My monthly charges have been running about $5K. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get the retention bonus!
Old Nov 3, 06, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
Exclamation 10,000 points ($120) is worth more than $95

Originally Posted by OnAMileHigh
I called the retention line today and was offered 10,000 points over 5 months or the $95 credit. I took the credit. My monthly charges have been running about $5K. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get the retention bonus!
Unless you don't plan on actually using the card every month, I would have taken the 10,000 points considering you can convert 10,000 points to $120 in cash basically (10,000 points x 1.25 cents/point credit against a charge - $5.00 fee = $120).
Old Nov 3, 06, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
Unless you don't plan on actually using the card every month, I would have taken the 10,000 points considering you can convert 10,000 points to $120 in cash basically (10,000 points x 1.25 cents/point credit against a charge - $5.00 fee = $120).
Ineresting. I did not know that points could be used in such a way. Oh well, good to know for next year. Thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 3, 06, 7:02 pm
CRC

Programs: *wood/DC
Originally Posted by Beckles
I'm assuming this 1.25 cents/point is using Club Reward points to pay for a purchased airline ticket on a Diners Club card. Another words, Club Reward points are worth more as airline tickets purchased then the annual fee of $95. Good thought since the type of redemption determines the value of points.
Old Nov 3, 06, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CRC
I'm assuming this 1.25 cents/point is using Club Reward points to pay for a purchased airline ticket on a Diners Club card. Another words, Club Reward points are worth more as airline tickets purchased then the annual fee of $95. Good thought since the type of redemption determines the value of points.
You can use the "Tailored Travel" program to pay for any travel expense with points is my understanding, so you don't even need something as expensive as an airline ticket.
Old Nov 9, 06, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP; WN A-List; Hyatt Expl; MR/CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
This used to be a great card and I've been happy for most of my 9 years but starting last year I decided it was no longer worth the annual fee. I got that waived in '05. This year I called about the fee, was told that it could not be waived and had the account closed within 3 minutes. I pretty much stopped using it because of the other great offers out there so it will be one less account to keep track of.
Old Nov 27, 06, 11:21 am

Programs: WN A List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Just talked with the Retention folks. Current offer is 7,500 points with no usage requirements or a rebate of the $95 fee. I took the rebate when I couldn't get the rep past 7,500.
Old Dec 4, 06, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta FO
Originally Posted by Rtgdoc View Post
Just talked with the Retention folks. Current offer is 7,500 points with no usage requirements or a rebate of the $95 fee. I took the rebate when I couldn't get the rep past 7,500.
Be advised, there apparently is no such thing as the "current offer." It's simply a matter of which rep you end up talking to.
Old Dec 19, 06, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott,SPG
I called the direct number today and got 10,000 points over 5 months.
Old Dec 20, 06, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
I called the direct number today and got 10,000 points over 5 months.
In my book you turned a nice "profit" by getting 10K in return for your $95 annual fee, I currently value my DC points at just under 3 cents/pt but even if using the more widely-accepted valuation of 2 cents/pt you still come out about $100 ahead.
Old Dec 27, 06, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Canada

Does anyone have any experience with the enhanced Canadian DC retention bonuses.

I will most likely keep the card, mainly because of Priority Pass membership and the car insurance, but it would be nice to get some sort of a bonus!
Old Dec 31, 06, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by opus17 View Post
After 13 years of having the card and never calling for retention, I called. I have another CITI card through my brokerage, where I get (at no fee) one AA mile per dollar spent -- which is pretty much the same deal I get with Diners.

The offered me $50 off the fee, or 5000 miles over 5 months.
I can't remember which one I took, but I've received neither.
I'm going to cancel, once I've tranferred my points.
Old Jan 7, 07, 3:28 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
I had a DC since 1994. When the merger with MC took place, I thought DC would become the family's main card as I transferred all my charges from AMEX. Once my main airlines dropped out of the DC program, I realized there was no reason left for me to use the program. The 60 day float ended, the lounge access is not extensive, the primary rental is not a make or break. Last year after the merger with MC, my account averaged $7k monthly until my favorite airlines departed the program. Now my charges were again near zero.

I called to cancel, talked with retention. They said they were sorry to lose me, that I could call back in the next year to reactivate my account anytime and that they could offer me enough points to reduce my annual fee from $95 to $75 this year. Maybe it was they knew they had already lost me, as I made sure I cashed out all my Club Rewards points before calling, but in any case I simply cancelled and that was the end of a 12 year most satisfactory relationship. Today I'm back with AMEX, a more loyal customer than ever, as I no longer have DC as an option for my travel related charges.

I had much hope in the MC consolidation. Now I realize for my own needs that the old Diners Card was better than the new program after conversion.
Old Jan 8, 07, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA 2.0mm, BA, DL, NW
Thanks for the 800 number. Just called and was offered 5,000 points at 1,000 per month or complete credit for annual fee. So I took the $95 credit. Very pleasant customer service rep.. He also could look up my Citibank Mastercard info too.
Old Jan 11, 07, 11:50 am

20,000 points with one call

After stumbling on your well-documented thread, I called the direct DC retention line and, within 3 minutes of conversation with a very nice CSR, was offered 20,000 DC points of a waiver of my $95 fee. Clearly, I took the points given the conversion value.

Thanks again guys - I can always rely on FT for the best tips.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: