Retention bonus

Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
Just got off the phone again as it's that time of the year -- I think calling the retention number directly definitely throws them for a loop - this year, the guy answered "Hi, this is Rob" and I asked if it was Diners Club -- he apologized, said he though I was a CSR he was just helping who was calling back. Similar thing to my experience last year. Anyway, after a long wait on the computer pulling up my info, he offered 3 different deals. Waive the fee. Straight up 7,500 points. 10,000 points over 5 months with at least one purchase every month. I always take the last deal and did so again this year. And I still probably spend between 1000 and 2000 per month.

-Mike
I had the same experience & 3-way choice this January , while in previous years I was always offered only the fee waiver. I took the 7500 points because I thought I would need them for something soon, which need didn't happen then but is coming now.

I do value points @ 1.5--2 US cents, so I would advise against getting GCs @ 1cpp.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ohmark
By the way, here's the retention dept phone number again, so as to save time searching through the thread for it. 800-753-5577. Every so often, somebody may want to re-post it.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:19 am
SST

Diner's tells me the new policy is 2500 points, period. I'll have to determine whether the $90 annual fee is worth this..... probably not.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Thanks for the heads-up, SST! I hope BMO announces the new award structure before I have to decide in January!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
I called yesterday and got 5000 points. (1000/month for 5 months.) Less than the 10,000 I had gotten the last few years.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:58 am

Thumbs down Nada

Gave me no points for renewal. Cancelled card am looking for a rewards card with no annual fee.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by melodrama
Yep, I have both a personal and corporate. Because you have a corporate card, you don't have an annual fee on the personal card (or the company pays it), and you still get all the perks on your personal car rentals, etc.

The cards are different numbers, and only the corporate card purchases get sent to the company for reimbursement. The way it is tied together is that it's one login (both accounts show up), and also the diners club rewards points are lumped together. So I don't have to pay an annual rewards membership fee for two accounts, it's already covered when I pay for it with points for my corporate account.

I don't think you can add an authorized card under the corporate plan, it's 2 different accounts that are linked to the same rewards program. I think the personal one shows up on your credit report, but don't think that's the case with the corporate one.

As far as the retention bonus, the guy said 'I don't have a retention bonus for the other [corporate] account at this time, but check back because the bonuses change' (either weekly, sometimes annually, depending on the person and I'm guessing a change in spending affects this).
that's nice, I didn't know about that. I might just apply for the personal card now, since i have a corp one.

Last edited by gomezjan; Aug 10, 2010 at 6:07 pm
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Was offered either 2,500 points for keeping the account open or $25.
I took the points!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:22 pm

My offers:

1. Use 8,000 points to pay for the $95 fee and receive 2500 points for retention; net cost of 5,500 points which = 1.7˘/pt.

2. Receive 2,500 points with no spend & pay $95 fee.

3. Receive 5,000 points with monthly use of card for 8 months.

I'm leaning more towards option 1, but, also, considering #2. Any comments?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
leaning more towards option 1, but, also, considering #2. Any comments?
I would choose option 3.

Option 1 is only $0.012 per point. You are redeeming 8,000 points to save $95. This is a standard feature of the card, not a retention offer. The 2,500 point bonus is unrelated, and is also available if you pay the fee with money. I would not choose option 1 because fthe points are worth $0.0225 each to me, more if I wait to transfer to BA during a 50% bonus. I don't understand why anyone would choose option 2 over option 3. If you aren't going to use the card at least once a month, cancel it.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:54 pm

Just made my annual call to the retention phone number in post #1. The rep asked if I intended to cancel if the annual fee wasn't waived and I said perhaps, he immediately offered to give a $95 account credit. I then mentioned that in past years I'd also been offered options involving Club Rewards points, he then said he could give me a free 5K or 7.5K points (sorry, it happened so fast I couldn't remember which amount it was) with no purchase requirements OR 2K per month for 5 months as long as I make one purchase a month. I gladly accepted the latter offer, I'm thrilled.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:56 am

2k bonus per month for 5 months (10k total)

Paid annual fee with points (cost 8k points)

Net benefit to renewal - 2k points

Cash cost to renewal - ZERO

Not bad.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CountinPlaces
2k bonus per month for 5 months (10k total)

Paid annual fee with points (cost 8k points)

Net benefit to renewal - 2k points

Cash cost to renewal - ZERO

Not bad.
It may not be bad, but it may not be anywhere near as good a value as you can get for 8k points. I think with more than ohe hotel program, 8k points could get you a room night (or a big enough fraction of a room night) that could easily cost much more per night than the DC annual fee.

For example, 8k DC points can translate to 19800 Best Western points (which, by the way, are harder to get other ways than most other hotel points, since BW rarely has lucrative point bonuses). This July I got a nice BW room at a new hotel near Bryce Canyon NP for 16000 BW points per night, and the lowest rate available was $150/night (and that's before taxes). Btw, near Bryce Canyon there is not much else hotel-wise besides two Best Westerns for miles around.

As another example, 8k DC points can translate to 12000 Choice points (though if you stay at Choice properties often it's even easier to earn high numbers of Choice points fast because of their very lucrative bonuses). And I stayed in hotels in London in March a year ago and in Tokyo in April of this year for only 8k Choice points per night, at hotels that certainly cost more than $95/night including taxes (and foreign conversion fees!).
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:49 am

I agree with Sdsearch, as I can get > $95 out of 8K DC. However, if CountinPlaces has 100Ks of DC points with little use, his/ hers is an OK choice.
One correction on the math: 7500 DC --> 6x 2400 Choice = 14,400.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Just a quick question, how long in advance of your anniversary date do you call the retention department?

I've never asked for one in the past, but I feel compelled this year due to the gradual decline in DC benefits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.