is it really that bad?

Old May 12, 2005, 2:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
One perk I have not seen much discussion on is access to airport lounges.

While the list is not that extensive, with many lounges land-side to boot, still the availability of lounge access is a nice benefit.

Unless this is going away, too.
Old May 12, 2005, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by elgringito
Since I have not heard of any other card offering the one month deferral as a recurring (as opposed to promotional) benefit, there is no alternative. Therefore cancelling the card simply means you will then move to utilization of another card which also does not have the benefit.
True, but I have other cards (Starwood AMEX) that does not cost $95/year. And my big expenses (air/hotel/car) are pretty much all universally AMEX. And again (this is for me) Starwood redemption is asgood as Diners (without the charges to redeem!).

My sacrifice is for primary coverage on domestic rentals. I'm just not sure that's worth $95/year. Perhaps if I'd had an accident that caused my insurance to pay out in the last 15 years I'd feel differently about having to make a claim against it, but right now I'm not so sure.

Admittedly, I made a lot from Diner's coverage including Ireland, and the loss of it makes me sad. It made Diner's a slam dunk no-brainer until now.

Steve
Old May 12, 2005, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by KMHT FF
One perk I have not seen much discussion on is access to airport lounges.

While the list is not that extensive, with many lounges land-side to boot, still the availability of lounge access is a nice benefit.

Unless this is going away, too.
I think there are some incremental language changes on admission / guests in certain lounges. I have noticed that the Pacific Clubs in Chile now don't permit a guest. Of course, these are the only ones I use
Old May 12, 2005, 10:14 am

Programs: Diners Club, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Fairmont, Mandarin Oriental, Le Meridien, National
Originally Posted by sllevin
True, but I have other cards (Starwood AMEX) that does not cost $95/year. And my big expenses (air/hotel/car) are pretty much all universally AMEX. And again (this is for me) Starwood redemption is asgood as Diners (without the charges to redeem!).

My sacrifice is for primary coverage on domestic rentals. I'm just not sure that's worth $95/year. Perhaps if I'd had an accident that caused my insurance to pay out in the last 15 years I'd feel differently about having to make a claim against it, but right now I'm not so sure.

Admittedly, I made a lot from Diner's coverage including Ireland, and the loss of it makes me sad. It made Diner's a slam dunk no-brainer until now.

Steve
While I don't advocate this practice, here's how Amex users have gotten the peace of mind of the primary rental car insurance coverage, without paying for it:

They would make the car reservation with the additional $24.95 fee for primary rental coverage. When they turned in the rental car, and if there were no accidents to claim, they would give another card (Visa, MC, etc.) for payment.
Old May 12, 2005, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kixo
While I don't advocate this practice, here's how Amex users have gotten the peace of mind of the primary rental car insurance coverage, without paying for it:

They would make the car reservation with the additional $24.95 fee for primary rental coverage. When they turned in the rental car, and if there were no accidents to claim, they would give another card (Visa, MC, etc.) for payment.
This has been discussed in some other forums, I beleive. Certainly that is a possibility but the problem with this practice is that sometimes you are not even aware of a damage and the company sends you a bill later on. Then what?
Old May 12, 2005, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
If it weren't for this Mastercard alliance, I would have dropped my DC a long time ago. Now I will keep - flexible rewards at places that don't take Amex.
Old May 12, 2005, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
If it weren't for this Mastercard alliance, I would have dropped my DC a long time ago. Now I will keep - flexible rewards at places that don't take Amex.
Wow! you are the first person who appreciates this merger. Infact this is the one thing that demotes them from the status of elite alien species to the level of commoner. (Even dogs are approved for MC). It is like steping on the cat's tail. Dont you get it.
Old May 13, 2005, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by maulah
Wow! you are the first person who appreciates this merger. Infact this is the one thing that demotes them from the status of elite alien species to the level of commoner. (Even dogs are approved for MC). It is like steping on the cat's tail. Dont you get it.
Credit cards are not about status. It is about benefits and usability. To those who carry Amex Centurion, Diners Club, or the many other "elite" cards on the market because of status: That is a pity. Although I believe the DC and MC alliance has proven to some to be a poor choice because of the demotion of a few critical benefits, the MC acceptance is most certainly a plus. If the DC brand remained the same--as in no change in benefits--and it were to have the MC acceptance, the card would certainly be much more beneficial to many of its existing cardmembers. Whether there is going to be more DC Mastercards in circulation should not affect the quality of service or benefits associated with the card, or status might I add. Unfortunately, this is not what has succumb of the alliance.
Old May 13, 2005, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Kyle53719
Whether there is going to be more DC Mastercards in circulation should not affect the quality of service or benefits associated with the card...
What?? Of course it will. DC as a stand-alone product was known for a higher level of personal service that made it a better product than American Express and a FAR better product than a standard-issue Mastercard. DC as a Mastercard variant loses that edge, but they don't intend to charge any less for it.

While I take shots at Mastercard for being pre-approved for dogs, etc., the fact is that merging DC and MC is at least dumb brand management. You can't put a premium brand on a basic chassis and claim it's still a premium product, 'cos nobody buys it. Cadillac, to cite one example, almost got wiped out that way.
Old May 13, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by BearX220
What?? Of course it will. DC as a stand-alone product was known for a higher level of personal service that made it a better product than American Express and a FAR better product than a standard-issue Mastercard. DC as a Mastercard variant loses that edge, but they don't intend to charge any less for it.

While I take shots at Mastercard for being pre-approved for dogs, etc., the fact is that merging DC and MC is at least dumb brand management. You can't put a premium brand on a basic chassis and claim it's still a premium product, 'cos nobody buys it. Cadillac, to cite one example, almost got wiped out that way.
I absolutely agree with you with what has happened to Diners Club. What I was trying to convey is that irregardless of the stamp of acceptance on the piece of plastic--whether it be Visa, MC, Amex, etc--it is the service and benefits that matter. I believe others were saying that the DC Mastercard would loose its "status" symbol as more Mastercards, and DC Mastercards will be in circulation after the alliance. I thought the "status" statement was a poor way to characterize what most people should care about when they apply for a credit card.

You are right thought that the DC brand has diluted itself with the Mastercard alliance due to the loss of some central benefits and the new poorly management customer service.
Old May 13, 2005, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kyle53719
You are right thought that the DC brand has diluted itself with the Mastercard alliance due to the loss of some central benefits and the new poorly management customer service.
I am sorry I did not follow you here. The only loss of benefit that I see is the loss of 2 month biling cycle. What are other some central benefits?

Customer service is still the same atleast to my personal experience. Has any one noticed any change. Why has everyone presumed in advance ahead of time, poorly management customer serive?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.