Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have an original Carte Blanche card?

Does anyone have an original Carte Blanche card?

Old May 28, 2004, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diners Club, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Fairmont, Mandarin Oriental, Le Meridien, National
Question Does anyone have an original Carte Blanche card?

Although Diners Club hasn't accepted any new cardmembers in almost 20 years, apparently about 17,000 diehards still use the original Carte Blanche card. All I know is that it cost $40 per year and there are no reward points for purchases. Diners Club is waiting for these people to do one of three things:

- finally upgrade to a Diners Club card
- not renew the card
- die

Can anyone shed more light on this card. It's actually more exclusive than the Amex Centurion!
Old May 30, 2004, 8:20 am

I didn't know that there were still old (white) Carte Blanche cards in use...
Nobody seems to have seen any in Europe for centuries.

According to http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/97737.htm , there were 25,000 cardholders in 1997 so 17,000 accounts now is certainly correct.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diners Club, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Fairmont, Mandarin Oriental, Le Meridien, National
Last new member in 1991

So, did receive confirmation that Diners Club stopped accepting new applications for the original Carte Blanche card in 1991.

Apparently, the card is still popular in diplomatic circles, like the UN.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:00 am

It would have been a better move to reactivate the original Carte Blanche product with new perks, instead of launching this poor new black card ....
Old Jul 19, 2004, 3:07 am

Programs: LH Senator, Million Miler but now only Silver DL, No status AA
I'm confused by the term "original" Carte Blanche. You can still apply for a Carte Blanche at:

http://www.citibank.com/dinersus/blanche/root/index.htm

It is $300 a year and has more benefits (though I don't see many that are all that useful...at least not useful enough to justify the higher price).

Is there a different program that long-time "original" cardholders would have with different benefits/services?
Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by BruiserB
I'm confused by the term "original" Carte Blanche.
The "original" Carte Blanche was launched in 1964 (AFAIK) as a high end charge card. The card was white, and had its own acceptance network.

Citicorp acquired Diners Club, and a few years later Diners Club acquired Carte Blanche (at the beginning of the 80s) , but did not really promote the product. DC stopped Carte Blanche (but existing cardmembers could keep their account : 25,000 accounts remained in 1997).

The "new" Carte Blanche has been launched by Diners Club US a few years ago (in black) as a concurrent product of Amex Platinum charge card.

Last edited by ahrz; Jul 19, 2004 at 9:43 am
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:24 am
Original Poster

To add, the original Carte Blanche card is accepted wherever Diners Club is accepted, except that the cardmember receives very few benefits. On merchant windows where they show what credit cards they accept, you'll often see the both the Diners Club and Carte Blanche logos.

It's probably the card program with the fewest customers that still exists....
Old Jul 20, 2004, 9:34 am

Programs: LH Senator, Million Miler but now only Silver DL, No status AA
So do the "original" Carte Blanche cardmembers continue to have fewer benefits and fall under different terms and conditions from the "new" Carte Blanche, or have they been integrated into the new program (i.e. Do they have black cards, more benefits, and pay $300/yr. now?)
Old Jul 20, 2004, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

They continue to have fewer benefits and pay a lower annual fee. No Club Rewards. No VIP desk. Strictly a charge card, which Diners Club refers to as the "Classic Carte Blanche" card. Users have not been automatically moved up into the Premium Carte Blanche card, and would probably revolt, as all they want are charging privileges, not all of the benefits.

Carte Blanche was once owned by Barron Hilton, and there's an apocryphal story that he named his San Diego football team the "Charges" to help promote the Carte Blanche card.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:41 pm

Carte Blanche and Diners Club

My parent have and have had in their possession both diners club and carte blanche. Both are original and have been in use since the 70s as far as I can remember. As a kid, I remember one card or the other always got us into better.... well, everything. They are up there in years but still travel to Europe and use the cards. I was shocked to find them still using them.
sdsearch and gregorius like this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MinusMikey
My parent have and have had in their possession both diners club and carte blanche.....
Welcome to Flyertalk.

By "original" do you mean that they do not have a MasterCard logo? My recollection is that Citi force converted all USA & Canada Diners products to MasterCard network in 2005, but if their cards were issued in another country they remained on Diners own network.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.