Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dinners Club Alliance with MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
This merger certainly makes DC a better product, though I do not think I will go back. I had the card 5 years ago I probably only was able to use it for 25% of charges. Funny that while in Chile, it was accepted almost anywhere, but here in the US I could hardly expect to be able to use it for any daily expense except gasoline.

Definately the upped annual fee and the fees for converting to miles were not welcome additions.

Eventually I switched to the SPG Amex and have not looked back. In fact, even though I can convert to airline miles, I end up using points for hotels instead most of the time since not only are they a better value, but SPG does not have the stupid capacity controls that make reward redemption an exercise in frustration.

Although this change does make the DC a significantly more valuable card, I doubt I would switch to DC, even with this change, as the SPG points are more valuable and the annual fee is less.

... and about the rental car insurance? My own auto insurance provides that so I would not be paying for it anyway.

Last edited by quinella66; Sep 28, 2004 at 11:56 am Reason: forgot something
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Worked smooth as silk. Made me a customer for life.
It's been a number of years since I had a DC; however, I was wondering if the primary auto coverage also covers liability should one get into an accident that causes damage not only to the rental car, but to another vehicle? In other words, if I rent a car and back into another vehicle in a parking lot, would the primary coverage apply to both vehicles, or just my rental car?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Official announcement

^ ^ ^

Official Press Release: http://www.dinersclubnewsroom.com/vi...ase.cfm?id=190

See Webflyer article below for commentary.
http://www.webflyer.com/programs/not...hp?art_num=200

Now, if we can just get DC to pick up some purchase security and warranty protection, almost everything can be covered by one card.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P
If I understand this correctly - Diners will become a MasterCard.

... so watch out while overseas. Do not look for DC signage because it's a MC in your wallet.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by TTT103
if I rent a car and back into another vehicle in a parking lot, would the primary coverage apply to both vehicles, or just my rental car?
Both.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Both.
Outstanding!
Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Now that I think about it, it may be that your rental agreement includes coverage for the other guy's car, and that DC only needs to cover the rental car to complete the picture. Regardless of who covers what, I am certain that there is no need to involve your insurance company. Nobody even asked me for that information.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:15 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Originally Posted by GeorgeF

... so watch out while overseas. Do not look for DC signage because it's a MC in your wallet.
I read the announcement and prior discussion somewhat differently. As I read it, DC cards will have the MC logo added to the cards, so that in addition to anyplace DC is currently accepted, it will also be accepted in places which do not accept currentlty DC but do accept MC. To me, the concern with DC and this arrangement is that merchants currently signed up with both DC and MC may drop DC if the MC charges are lower (even though all DC's worldwide may not bare the MC logo for some time, if ever).
Old Oct 1, 2004, 4:37 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GeorgeF

This is essentially my reading as well. This announcement could solve a major mileage dilemma for me. As I will soon be spending a large amount of time in a country for which I am unlikely to have or be able to obtain a local currency credit card, I was debating between SPG Amex and Amex Plat IDC, with a low currency surcharge Visa/MC as backup. Now it appears that I could get away with a combination of the SPG Amex and "new" DC (acting as a MC), which would give me a great combination of points/benefits and acceptability. The airport I will use most frequently for non-business travel even has a lounge that is linked to DC.

OT, but is DC still a 2% foreign currency surcharge (on US$ cards)?
Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by chalf
OT, but is DC still a 2% foreign currency surcharge (on US$ cards)?
Last time I checked, yes, 2% it is.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 2:54 am

DC outside of USA also merging with MC?

Are all DC cards merging with MC? Even DC cards based outside the US? Or are they completely independent?

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS, AA LT PLT 2MM+, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
North American-centric deal

Originally Posted by 747heavy
Are all DC cards merging with MC? Even DC cards based outside the US? Or are they completely independent?

Thanks.
The primary deal here is between Citibank (the US and Canada Diner's Club International licensee) and Master Card. All US/CA DC cards will become MasterCards. International licensees (non-US/CA) have the option to put a MC logo on the back of their cards and have it accepted in the US as a MasterCard. While this is not said explicitly, it would be logical to guess that DC will disappear as an independent payment marque in North America. The main point that I am not clear on is whether or not the US DC/Citi Mastercard will be accpeted at an international location that accepts DC, but not MasterCard (I am not sure how many such places exist?).
Old Oct 6, 2004, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
My worry is that this will mean lower interchange fees paid by merchants accepting M/C but not Diners.

Those fees fund Club Rewards, and Diners Club could well want to cut costs in their rewards program.

Now, I don't KNOW that lower fees are involved. I suppose it's POSSIBLE that Diners Club cards will yield the higher interchange fee, even to Mastercard merchants, but I find that a bit unlikely (forcing all MC merchants to pay a higher fee than they had signed up for).

Worrying about lower fees and what that will do to my points...
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:02 am

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
Volume Might Help

Originally Posted by gleff
Those fees fund Club Rewards, and Diners Club could well want to cut costs in their rewards program.
Gleff, you paint a plausible picture. OTOH, the increased number of transactions versus no significant increase in operating costs (once all of those new cards are issued) might well make up for the reduced margin per transaction. (Yes, this might be an example of "making it up on volume".)

While I expect any program such as this to be devalued over time (it just seems to be the way things are), I don't anticipate major changes. After all, Citi could have just dropped Diners and mailed each of us a "super tintanium" MC. Citi sees some value in the Diners franchise and is trying to grow it. THat bolds well for us.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
My worry is that this will mean lower interchange fees paid by merchants accepting M/C but not Diners.
No worries. The charges are already high enough to fund it.

I've also heard somewhere that merchants pay higher fees for transactions made with VISA Signature and MC World Cards. Much more (almost as AmEx). I suppose the DC charge card will be put into that category.

Anther thing to remember - we are paying for those points. It's not the merchants who pay the fees, they pass it to us - the customers.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Diners Club flavored MasterCard in my wallet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.