Getting a DC as a US citizen

Old May 9, 22, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Diners Club is just a brand. It doesn't tell us anything about customer service, because the brand is operated by unrelated franchisees in various markets. If you held a USA-issued Diners Club card between 1981 ~ 2009 you were dealing with Citibank. If you were satisfied with the service, why not apply for (example) a Citi Premier card rather than focus on Diners Club? If you think BMO Harris Bank is a superior issuer, why not apply for one of their other MasterCard products?
Hmm....I really didn't think of that! I'm used to acquisitions retaining staff.

Do you know who supports DC in other markets where it is not on the Mastercard network? Various national banks maybe?
Old May 9, 22, 3:36 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bigmillz View Post
Do you know who supports DC in other markets where it is not on the Mastercard network?
Diners Club International, the company which grants franchises, but does not issue cards, is owned by Discover.

To read about the transaction processing network for cards issued outside Canada & USA, read here: https://www.discoverglobalnetwork.com/

To read about the card issuers in various countries, start here: https://www.dinersclub.com/ and then click on (Find Your Club).
Old May 9, 22, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Diners Club International, the company which grants franchises, but does not issue cards, is owned by Discover.

To read about the transaction processing network for cards issued outside Canada & USA, read here: https://www.discoverglobalnetwork.com/

To read about the card issuers in various countries, start here: https://www.dinersclub.com/ and then click on (Find Your Club).
Thanks. I've browsed through the various countries, which surprisingly all seem to have a unique site and application process.

I'm also trying to consider the fact that I may just be chasing this because it's "hard to get" not because it would be the best for my needs.

I have just had consistently poor service from anything Visa/MC and it's really pushing me to find a better business travel card for places that don't accept Amex. For better/worse, it's made me realize the value in the annual fees I pay Amex though!
Old Jul 16, 22, 6:35 pm

Diner Club franchisees are slowly disappearing in Europe and acceptance has be declining steadily in the last 10 years. The most common card processors are loosing business to new ones and those only work with Visa/MC and Amex..

the Italian Franchisee is in Liquidation and in the UK, after stopping the Card business, they are now using the branding to offer Business Invoice Payment service (those service where you as a supplier get paid no matter the buyer but losing a fee charged by DC and then DC acquire the debts and is responsible of collecting payment from customers..

Growing up it was very common in Italy, more then Visa in the early 1980’s . A shame that they made it disappear. I remember trying to get one after few years I had moved to the UK but was impossible to get, could not pass their acceptance criteria whilst I had cards from various networks and Bank as well as the BA Amex
Old Jul 18, 22, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Silver
Originally Posted by bigmillz View Post
Thanks. I've browsed through the various countries, which surprisingly all seem to have a unique site and application process.

I'm also trying to consider the fact that I may just be chasing this because it's "hard to get" not because it would be the best for my needs.

I have just had consistently poor service from anything Visa/MC and it's really pushing me to find a better business travel card for places that don't accept Amex. For better/worse, it's made me realize the value in the annual fees I pay Amex though!
Again, it is NOT Visa/Mastercard providing bad service. It is the banks. Get a card from a credit union or something
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread