Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Diners Club (USA) now includes Priority Pass.

Old Dec 9, 21, 6:56 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Diners says it is a new benefit, Priority Pass says it is not.

I just checked the Diners Club lounge list online and in the app for the first time in a few months, and it appears as though Priority Pass restaurants have been included in the list, offering a $28 credit for each visit. There is also fine print on the website referring to Priority Pass and also in the app.

A call to Diners (a BMO Harris rep) to get the real story turned into a CSR phone tag, as no one knew the answer. A call to the DC concierge yielded someone who claimed "just show up and they will know your Diners Card has the benefit".

That sounds squirrelly, as I don't believe that 1000+ restaurants will know that Diners Club is a separate program from Priority Pass and that they should just go ahead and give me free stuff. I also have difficulty believing why Diners would add what is essentially the Priority Pass Prestige level benefit ($429/yr) to a $95/yr card.

The Diners Club app claims you need to enroll in Priority Pass to "personalize" the benefit, but also says that if you do not do so, you cannot receive the benefits (contradicting my earlier phone call with DC). When attempting to enroll in Priority Pass within the Diners Club app, it claims my Diners Club card isn't valid.

Okay, let's call the 24 hour Priority Pass number (800-352-2834). After giving them my DC number, they tell me that DC needs to activate this benefit on their cards and that I wasn't the first person to call them in my same predicament.

So..... has anyone utilized this benefit, or is Diners just making stuff up?
Old Dec 9, 21, 7:12 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
....checked the Diners Club lounge list online ....
Diners Club is a franchise system. The lounge benefit is managed by Diners Club International, but they do not issue cards. BMO Harris Bank is the notional card issuer for Canada and USA, but they are not accepting applications from individuals.

It looks as if Diner's lounge program has been administered by Collinson (the owners of Priority Pass) for some time. It's possible that Collinson and Priority Pass have agreed to add the Restaurant feature to Diner's lounge program. It's also possible that Diners (USA) will opt out of the Restaurant benefit, just as American Express has:

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

It's also possible that the Restaurants have appeared in the Diners lounge list by mistake.
Old Dec 14, 21, 11:13 am
Original Member
Original Poster

So has anyone actually used this benefit? I plan to do so in the near future, and if the $28 discount isn't provided, I will be contesting the charge with BMO Harris.
Old Dec 16, 21, 10:19 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

I think the dispute will fail unless Diners (USA) confirms that restaurants are now part of the benefit. It doesn't matter what we see on the Diners Club International website. Everything is at the discretion of the local card issuer.

Note this language which appears in each lounge or restaurant listing:

Access available to the upgraded Diners Club® Airport Lounge and Travel program Clubmember. Please contact your local Diners Club provider to confirm upgrade status....Please contact your Diners Club card issuer regarding your card features and benefits, including any applicable airport lounge fees.

Also note these entries in the FAQ section:

To find out if you have access to Priority Pass, please contact your local Diners Card provider.
You may learn more about The Diners Club Airport Lounge and Travel Program benefits including airport lounge visit allowance, entry fees and whether you have access to Priority Pass membership by contacting your local Diners Club provider.
https://www.dinersclub.com/help-center/?s=faq-section
Old Dec 17, 21, 10:35 am
Original Member
Original Poster

It doesn't matter what we see on the Diners Club International website.
Maybe, but not in this case. See the red highlighted text below to see why.

Well, I decided to burn another hour of my life to figure it out by calling a few more times to my "local Diners Club Provider", which is BMO/Harris. Here is where we stand:

Six representatives (three in my initial attempt plus three today, including a manager in the card benefits department) from BMO/Harris have told me that my card, and Diners Club US (DC-US) Professional card members, have the full lounge benefit as listed on the DC-US website. Note this language which appears on the dinersclubUS.com website under the benefits tab:

Airport Lounge Access

Cardmembers can access an extensive network of airport lounges in countries around the world featuring English-speaking staff, complimentary beverage service, flight information, newspapers, television, and business centers.

That link to airport lounges sends you directly to the Diners Club International (DC-I) website, with the new full list of 1,000+ lounges and restaurants. Not just the legacy lounges, which still have only Diners Club in the fine print, but the new addition of 1,000 restaurants that are referred to as "Diners Club lounges" and have DC and Priority Pass in the fine print. This new benefit is where I am extremely skeptical.

Priority Pass, who manages the DC-I lounge program, looked up my CC number and catagorically denied that my card is eligible for the benefit. MasterCard, who at one point I was transferred to, also looked up my CC number and says my DC-US card does not have this benefit. The MC rep also said, non-jokingly, that I should get the Priority Pass rep and DC-US rep on a conference call to sort it out.

On a call back to BMO/Harris that was escalated to a manager, "Meeta" assured me that I just show up, present the DC-US card, and get the full $28 benefit. However, like mia above, I was repeatedly told "don't refer to the DC-I app and website for your benefits, you need to use the DC-US website". BUT THE LOUNGE BENEFIT ON THE DC-US WEBSITE DIRECTLY LINKS BACK TO THE DC-I WEBSITE. ***THERE IS NO DC-US LIST OF LOUNGES AND SPECIFIC BENEFITS.***

She was unable to explain why a $95 cardholder is now getting an additional $429/yr benefit for free. She also said that if it is denied, I should bring it back to BMO/Harris where they will adjust the price "because the benefit is on the website". If I have another hour or two to waste when I get embarrassed in an airport restaurant, I will do just that.

It is becoming more and more obvious that there needs to be better disclosure on the extremely sloppy DC-US and DC-I websites that separate out the two classes of benefits: the legacy DC lounges and the new Priority Pass restaurant/lounges. The lazy folks at BMO/Harris have no idea what they are doing, just collecting their fees until every DC-US cardholder cancels or dies.

Last edited by Tino; Dec 17, 21 at 11:00 am
Old Dec 20, 21, 6:17 am
mia

Setting aside the issue of Diners USA participating, Priority Pass now seems to say that the associated credit card can be used for lounge access. If this also works at restaurants, it might allow Diners Club holders to use those locations without a Priority Pass card.

Can I access a lounge without my membership card?
You will need to present your physical, Digital Membership Card or eligible payment card when entering a lounge.
https://memberhelp.prioritypass.com/...mbership-card-
Old Dec 20, 21, 6:56 am
mia

BUT THE LOUNGE BENEFIT ON THE DC-US WEBSITE DIRECTLY LINKS BACK TO THE DC-I WEBSITE. ***THERE IS NO DC-US LIST OF LOUNGES AND SPECIFIC BENEFITS.***
The lounge benefit has always linked to the Diners Club International site, because they operate the network, but for me the link is now broken:

Old Dec 27, 21, 11:51 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
The priority pass lounge benefit is only for the diners club international card. You won't get the benefit with the US Harris Bank DC card. for example, the Diners club card in India has this benefit: https://www.hdfcbank.com/personal/pay/cards/credit-cards/diners-club-black?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=tqD6DGN.aKzwN7s3P3EcP1yC sfYD0oMFKy8VTfth8_A-1640632642-0-gaNycGzNCJE

Last edited by smith80678; Dec 27, 21 at 12:20 pm
Old Dec 27, 21, 7:04 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Apparently, this whole thing got started because of the HDFC Diners club in India, which offers many privileges (kind of like a black card). https://www.hdfcbank.com/personal/pay/cards/credit-cards/diners-club-miles.
you have to register for the priority pass lounge benefits and I suspect your card won't go through.
Old Dec 28, 21, 8:16 am
mia

I do not see any mention of Priority Pass on the linked HDFC page. However, it is interesting to note that HDFC is not accepting Diners Club applications, same as Harris Bank.

It could be that Diners Club International is trying to put pressure on these disengaged franchisees by offering a benefit that their cardholders can see, but not use.
Old Dec 28, 21, 2:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smith80678 View Post
The priority pass lounge benefit is only for the diners club international card. You won't get the benefit with the US Harris Bank DC card.
This is getting circular.

You have restated my entire point - that no one at BMO/Harris knows this. 100% of the BMO/Harris staff I spoke to on numerous phone calls, including a "benefits manager" claimed the complete opposite.

Again, the DCI website (still up, but the DC-US link to it is broken) stills intermingles the lounges that were originally accessible with the DC-US card and the new Priority Pass lounges/restaurants. There is no DC-US lounge list in existence, you just have to show up and see if it works.
Old Jan 19, 22, 12:21 pm

So with the HDFC Diners Club with Priority Pass benefit, they will actually send you a priority pass card:
https://www.cardexpert.in/priority-p...-need-to-know/
Old Jan 19, 22, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-22
Maybe, but not in this case. See the red highlighted text below to see why.

Well, I decided to burn another hour of my life to figure it out by calling a few more times to my "local Diners Club Provider", which is BMO/Harris. Here is where we stand:

Six representatives (three in my initial attempt plus three today, including a manager in the card benefits department) from BMO/Harris have told me that my card, and Diners Club US (DC-US) Professional card members, have the full lounge benefit as listed on the DC-US website. Note this language which appears on the dinersclubUS.com website under the benefits tab:

Airport Lounge Access

Cardmembers can access an extensive network of airport lounges in countries around the world featuring English-speaking staff, complimentary beverage service, flight information, newspapers, television, and business centers.

That link to airport lounges sends you directly to the Diners Club International (DC-I) website, with the new full list of 1,000+ lounges and restaurants. Not just the legacy lounges, which still have only Diners Club in the fine print, but the new addition of 1,000 restaurants that are referred to as "Diners Club lounges" and have DC and Priority Pass in the fine print. This new benefit is where I am extremely skeptical.

Priority Pass, who manages the DC-I lounge program, looked up my CC number and catagorically denied that my card is eligible for the benefit. MasterCard, who at one point I was transferred to, also looked up my CC number and says my DC-US card does not have this benefit. The MC rep also said, non-jokingly, that I should get the Priority Pass rep and DC-US rep on a conference call to sort it out.

On a call back to BMO/Harris that was escalated to a manager, "Meeta" assured me that I just show up, present the DC-US card, and get the full $28 benefit. However, like mia above, I was repeatedly told "don't refer to the DC-I app and website for your benefits, you need to use the DC-US website". BUT THE LOUNGE BENEFIT ON THE DC-US WEBSITE DIRECTLY LINKS BACK TO THE DC-I WEBSITE. ***THERE IS NO DC-US LIST OF LOUNGES AND SPECIFIC BENEFITS.***

She was unable to explain why a $95 cardholder is now getting an additional $429/yr benefit for free. She also said that if it is denied, I should bring it back to BMO/Harris where they will adjust the price "because the benefit is on the website". If I have another hour or two to waste when I get embarrassed in an airport restaurant, I will do just that.

It is becoming more and more obvious that there needs to be better disclosure on the extremely sloppy DC-US and DC-I websites that separate out the two classes of benefits: the legacy DC lounges and the new Priority Pass restaurant/lounges. The lazy folks at BMO/Harris have no idea what they are doing, just collecting their fees until every DC-US cardholder cancels or dies.
My January 2022 statement from BMO/Harris Diners Club indicated enhanced benefit to Lounge Access. I am also alive and well. I too am still skeptical how my $95/Annual Credit Card gives me access to a $429/Yr Priority Pass. I am glad to have the dinersclub lounge benefit, enhanced or not, but this news of enhanced benefit .....Are they crazy? I can't see how they can survive.....

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Jan 19, 22 at 6:05 pm
Old Jan 19, 22, 6:31 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jiburi View Post
.... skeptical how my $95/Annual Credit Card gives me access to a $429/Yr Priority Pass...
The list price of Priority Pass membership is a marketing fiction. Credit card issuers would pay a tiny fraction of this amount for lounge access. Some years ago Priority Pass openly advertised a 70 or 75% discount for corporate accounts, and I daresay card issuers pay much less.
sdsearch likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 20, 22 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 20, 22, 6:26 am

I see that on the Statement also. Really confusing if they have expanded lounge access or not: If this is true you are getting a hell of a good deal:

Important update about your Diners Club® Airport Lounge and Travel Program benefits The Diners Club® Airport Lounge and Travel Program is being upgraded to include an expanded network of 30% more lounges worldwide to help make every business trip a successful one. There is no action required by you to search and access the lounges as the Diners Club® Travel Tools App will automatically update, so you can continue to enjoy the many current and new program benefits including: · Access over 1,300 lounges with handpicked offers from a growing selection of partners · New lounge alternatives including dining, sleep pods, gaming and spas · View airport maps and search for lounges, access offers and discounts · Access lounges by using your Diners Club Corporate Card · Enjoy 850+ offers including discounts, upgrades and free gifts with purchases in over 140 airports Check out the new benefits available to you at https://www.dinersclub.com/clubmembers/airport-lounges and/or the Diners Club® Travel Tools App. If you require lounge access only, just present your Diners Club Card to access any of the lounges in the Diners Club Tool App. Should you have any questions please visit dinersclubus.com. ®& Diners Club and Diners Club International with the Split Circle Device are trademarks of Diners Club International Ltd.

Last edited by smith80678; Jan 20, 22 at 6:43 am

Search this Thread