Club rewards transfer questions

Old Sep 17, 19, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Question Club rewards transfer questions

Hi all,

I am curious about your experience with two things? I have to drain points amassed over a few years of modest travel
- Are you able to pay the excise tax (for transfers to US airlines) out of pocket? The cash is a lot easier to make up than the insane points required to cover it
- What would be your preferred transfer option to wipe the balance out? I was looking at AS with their versatile partners but I am not sure I am willing to lose ~20% on the transfer (between the poor transfer ration and excise tax)
Looks like AC might be the way to go with its reasonable award rates - or VS I am NYC based and fly mostly Delta with plenty of miles there - so I was considering options out of skyteam

balance is about 250k points - not great but not insignificant either

Thank you!

Last edited by goodandclassy; Sep 17, 19 at 7:12 am
Old Sep 17, 19, 7:41 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
When Club Rewards was operated by Citi the excise tax was payable with money or points. When BMO took over they eliminated the excise tax fee for a few years, but when they reinstated it they built it into the transfer ratio.

There was a transfer bonus to VS in October 2017. The next one was in May 2018. I don't believe there has been on in 2019. If you can wait, I would defer until early October to see if there is a bonus to VS or another partner.
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodandclassy View Post
I was looking at AS with their versatile partners
In case you're not aware, AS only allows one partner per booking (though it can be a different partner in each direction if you book one-way awards). If you need a partner that flies out of (or into) another city, and AS (whose main territory is the US West Coast) can't connect you to that partner from where you are in NYC (on the other side of the country), then you'd have to book your own connector flight separately, together with all the risks that can entail.
Old Sep 18, 19, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by mia View Post
When Club Rewards was operated by Citi the excise tax was payable with money or points. When BMO took over they eliminated the excise tax fee for a few years, but when they reinstated it they built it into the transfer ratio.

There was a transfer bonus to VS in October 2017. The next one was in May 2018. I don't believe there has been on in 2019. If you can wait, I would defer until
early October to see if there is a bonus to VS or another partner.
Fair enough - thank you! I think BA has/had an offer currently but with their insane YQs and variety of other transfer partners, I opted against it... I will keep an eye out in October though, thanks!

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
In case you're not aware, AS only allows one partner per booking (though it can be a different partner in each direction if you book one-way awards). If you need a partner that flies out of (or into) another city, and AS (whose main territory is the US West Coast) can't connect you to that partner from where you are in NYC (on the other side of the country), then you'd have to book your own connector flight separately, together with all the risks that can entail.
Good point! Though my use case for AS miles is to do things like CX F etc
Thank you
Old Sep 18, 19, 8:08 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by goodandclassy View Post
.... BA has/had an offer currently....
Thank you. I had not yet seen this, and it does run to end of October which makes it improbable that there will be a Virgin Atlantic offer before November.
goodandclassy likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: