Diners Club UK closing personal cards

Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:15 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
....imply that the cap applies to DC too.
Apparently it does apply to a co-branded Diners product, but might not apply to Diners own brand cards. Explanation here regarding American Express (UK):

https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/0...-for-the-card/
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:09 pm
ECR

Originally Posted by mia
Apparently it does apply to a co-branded Diners product, but might not apply to Diners own brand cards. Explanation here regarding American Express (UK):

https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/0...-for-the-card/
If Diners Club is affected in exactly the same way as Amex that would explain why there haven't been other airlines or hotel chains launching Diners Club cards. It does make the Miles & More Diners Club partnership look even more strange.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: Miles & More
I thought that there would be some sort of personal charge card sooner or later. Bit unsure about the contactless on the Diners Club Card though. I’m assuming that this will only work if the merchant is set up to accept DC. Hopefully the limit on card usage per 24 hours won’t be there anymore as that stopped me using the card on occasion.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I hate to hear this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:04 am

So the new DC card is up and running. Had mine last week. The companion MasterCard is a good idea. Both are working, but the contactless on the DC doesn’t appear to work anywhere, the terminal asks for the card to be inserted. There seems to be other countries issuing M&M co-branded cards too.

Points/miles issued on all card purchases regardless of which card you use. Should be easy enough to rack up the points!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:22 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by justinghaynes
... seems to be other countries issuing M&M co-branded cards too. ...
Diners Club cards? Can you post a link to an example?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mia
Diners Club cards? Can you post a link to an example?
https://dinersclub.ch/en/private-cus...les-more-card/

https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...d=2568578&l=en

These are two I found. Seems to be the same set up. A Diners Club card and a companion MasterCard.

Maybe this is why they closed the original UK personal cards, as they must have partnered with Lufthansa/M&M.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:09 pm
mia

I guess that Cornercard UK (issuer of the UK MasterCard) is related to Corner Bank (issuer of the Swiss cards.)?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:46 pm

Yes, it is. They hold the licence for DC in Switzerland and also acquired Diners Club Italia apparently.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by justinghaynes
There seems to be other countries issuing M&M co-branded cards too.
Here in Austria Miles and More had an offer for "Diners Club Vintage Card" for free for the first year, which seems to be their top tier. I applied for it, and my application was accepted. I went for it purely because of the free access to lounges (I already have the other Austria based benefits with my Austrian CC). It seems to be the same lounges as the priv pass - I shall see if it actually works next month!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Question... for MasterCard Lufthansa UK card, can you add it to Curve?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
You can add it to curve now but Ive only used it for purchases suspect cash withdrawals etc will attract a cash advance fee from diners
Old Feb 6, 2021, 11:31 am

So it seems that Affiniture Cards (DC UK franchisee) are once again closing Personal Charge Cards (Miles & More) here in the UK. Had a letter today to say accounts would be closed, with card use suspended in two months.

Probably one of the biggest factor being COVID-19 affecting spending in general and travel. I think that they should have given a lesser rate of earning when using the MasterCard, to encourage members to use their Diners Club card. As the earning rate was the same, I imagine that most people just carried the MC, not bothering to use the DC, which must have affected their revenue from merchant fees to some degree.

I noticed also they are not taking applications for the Business Charge Card either. Maybe they are considering giving up the franchise here in the UK. I would have thought that as you now get a companion MasterCard it should have acceptance everywhere.

I would imagine that many people are put off by the 79 annual fee; there aren’t really many reasons to justify it, very few perks.

Oh well, have to wait and see what happens in the future with DC here in the UK.

Miles & More points/miles are perfectly safe (until 31.12.21) and their website encourages members to register their interest for a future Visa card.

Last edited by justinghaynes; Feb 14, 2021 at 2:40 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.