Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any Ideas When Diners Club might take New Applications Again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Ideas When Diners Club might take New Applications Again?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well depending on how you want to define it, Barclay makes some "true" CHIP and PIN cards. They aren't PIN priority, like BMO DC is, but they have both offline and online PIN. I have that on my Barclay AA Aviator Red. (I don't offhand know which, if any, of their other cards, besides the AA Aviator card group, have that.)

So if you just want something to work in situations where only offline PIN or only online PIN is supported, there are other solutions out there besides waiting for BMO to maybe start re-issuing Diners Club personal and/or professional cards.
I recently was in Italy, and had issues with my Citi Prestige card (chip and signature) with automated gas stations and automated parking garages. The Citi card would not work despite numerous attempts. I ended up using my Barclays Aviator Red (chip and pin) without any issues.

I phoned Citi today, and there is absolutely no work-around.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
There is none . The solution is use Barclays. Thank goodness that exists !
Or diners if BMO would take applications. Or one of those credit unions

Basically Citi , Amex , Chase don’t want your business while traveling and they don’t care to implement offline chip and pin capability for true international travelers / or cards with the option of chip and pin priority

Basically last month when I was in Germany for a whole month I must’ve charged about €3000 worth of stuff. it all went to Barclays. Much of it was related to renting cars and filling up at gas stations etc.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by OpenSky
There is none . The solution is use Barclays. Thank goodness that exists !
Or diners if BMO would take applications. Or one of those credit unions

Basically Citi , Amex , Chase don’t want your business while traveling and they don’t care to implement offline chip and pin capability for true international travelers / or cards with the option of chip and pin priority

Basically last month when I was in Germany for a whole month I must’ve charged about €3000 worth of stuff. it all went to Barclays. Much of it was related to renting cars and filling up at gas stations etc.
The easily accessible solution for most people is to use a mobile wallet. Contactless acceptance in Europe is a lot more common than in the US and is increasingly being used by the locals instead of chip.

Or maybe get a contactless card but US banks outside of AmEx and a few others are also loathe to issue those for whatever reason. And you'll still have to insert for larger amounts with those, unlike Apple Pay et al.

(On that note, Diners Club's contactless will supposedly work on TfL based on what I've read off of mine. I may give that a shot when I'm in the UK to confirm.)
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Actually a good alternative is Apple Pay, though Apple Pay US doesn't always work with Apple Pay international. ( it goes berserk if not in US dollars).
I haven't tried extensively, that may have changed.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually a good alternative is Apple Pay, though Apple Pay US doesn't always work with Apple Pay international. ( it goes berserk if not in US dollars).
That's what I mean by "mobile wallet" above, as well as Samsung and Google's offerings. AFAIK, there shouldn't be any problems using any of them overseas.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
That's what I mean by "mobile wallet" above, as well as Samsung and Google's offerings. AFAIK, there shouldn't be any problems using any of them overseas.
Well AAPL pay just got launched in the UAE. Well see if this saves me from having to give the speech about wanting to in local currency and not have to go though DCC
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
It works fine. I have a Citi US debit card linked to my Apple wallet and it happily processes AUD transactions here, though I do it very infrequently because of the 3% fee. It does display weird though, as the transaction listing in the Wallet app shows the AUD amount not the debited USD amount.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
It works fine. I have a Citi US debit card linked to my Apple wallet and it happily processes AUD transactions here, though I do it very infrequently because of the 3% fee. It does display weird though, as the transaction listing in the Wallet app shows the AUD amount not the debited USD amount.
This is actually a great way to avoid DCC
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is actually a great way to avoid DCC
I remember reading posts over in the DCC thread about how contactless doesn't actually avoid DCC in some cases. YMMV, as always.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:31 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I personally want one because it is a a true CHIP and PIN card ideal for international travel, with all the true travel perks.

Amex, Chase, Citi don't even come close Heck, Chase and Citi are both Chip and Signature only with no offline PIN capability . Good luck trying to pay a toll booth in france with that.

As usual, all the MS people ruin everything they touch.

Please BMO, open your product to new apps!!

They bought the business for 800+ million dollars, I can't imagine why they are just parking it without growing the business.
Get a Target VISA. It is chip and PIN with no FOREX and no annual fee. Target went with a PIN after their big hacking problem. And unlike Diners it was easy to set up a PIN I wanted.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puddinhead
Get a Target VISA. It is chip and PIN with no FOREX and no annual fee. Target went with a PIN after their big hacking problem. And unlike Diners it was easy to set up a PIN I wanted.
Target switched to MC, IIRC. Also, from what I remember you can't directly apply for it; you have to apply for the private label credit card and hope that they eventually switch out your card (though this could have changed recently).

A possibly easier/quicker route to go would be to get yourself a Redbird. But then you may have acceptance issues considering it's AmEx.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puddinhead
That implies that the Target card is "online" PIN only.

It is because Diners also supports "offline" PIN that it requires extra steps to change the PIN, since an "offline" PIN can only be changed when the chip on the card is in physical contact with something that can update it.

An "online" PIN is verified by contacting the bank, so only the bank needs to have the PIN updated. An "offline" PIN is verified at the terminal, even if there is no internet connection, and thus it requires the card itself to have the PIN updated.

And having both "online" and "offline" PIN gives you the most compatibility possible with a card issue in the USA. There are a handful of unattended kiosks in Europe that only accept "offline, not "online", PINs.

Such just having some PIN support on a card is not as good as having the two types of PIN support that Diners Club has (and that some Barclay cards have).
askmrlee likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 6, 2017 at 7:51 am Reason: corrected third paragraph (online & offline reversed)
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That implies that the Target card is "online" PIN only.

It is because Diners also supports "offline" PIN that it requires extra steps to change the PIN, since an "offline" PIN can only be changed when the chip on the card is in physical contact with something that can update it.

An "offline" PIN is verified by contacting the bank, so only the bank needs to have the PIN updated. An "online" PIN is verified at the terminal, even if there is no internet connection, and thus it requires the card itself to have the PIN updated.

And having both "online" and "offline" PIN gives you the most compatibility possible with a card issue in the USA. There are a handful of unattended kiosks in Europe that only accept "offline, not "online", PINs.

Such just having some PIN support on a card is not as good as having the two types of PIN support that Diners Club has (and that some Barclay cards have).
"Offline" is verified by the terminal/card, actually, while "online" is verified by the bank. Online PIN isn't too commonly supported outside the US, though, so it's not nearly as important for compatibility as offline PIN.

Also, I can't speak for Target's other cards but the Redbird only has offline PIN. Fortunately the PIN change instructions from what I remember specifically state that the old PIN may need to be entered one last time.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by kshanew
Not answering the question you asked but asking one of my own. SDFCU does Chip & PIN now? I've had both an SDFCU Visa CC and a Debit card for a few years..both are chip & sig and I didn't know they now had the option for Chip & PIN.
why did you post this here?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kshanew
....SDFCU does Chip & PIN now? ...
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
why did you post this here?
Read the post immediately preceding:

Originally Posted by LAXRuss
... Recently at least I discovered that my State Department Federal Credit Union (SDFCU) has opportunities for virtually any U.S. resident to join and they allow their credit card holders to choose between a primary Chip & Signature and Chip and PIN card.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.