Any reason to stick with DC?

Old Apr 15, 21, 12:14 pm

I don't know which version of the DC you have but an additional card holder on the Professional is only $35/year.
Old Jun 16, 21, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Based on recent posts over in the EMV thread, I'm still glad I applied for mine when they were open for applications. In fact, I'm kinda surprised they haven't gone signature preferring yet, especially since BMO Harris' other cards are. That could be due to relative neglect compared to their other card products, though; for instance, it took them quite a while after other PIN preferring issuers did so before allowing PIN bypass for domestic transactions.

That said, I'll definitely reevaluate keeping mine if they ever change how their cards are configured. Plus I'm still of the belief that PIN support/preference shouldn't be the first thing you look for in a card unless you have a specific need for it, especially since contactless payment is the de facto standard in a lot of the rest of the world.
Old Jul 2, 21, 2:59 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by brc01 View Post
OMAAT reported today that Priority Pass will no longer have access to Plaza Premium lounges.

I assume this won't affect access to Plaza Premium lounges with DC?
It appears Plaza Premium lounges have also been removed from the Diners Club network. I image that Diners has outsourced this benefit to Collinson.
Old Jul 9, 21, 3:11 pm

Reasons to keep the card?

Considering canceling at the end of the year when my annual fee is up. I've held onto this for mostly sentimental reasons and to have a true Chip and PIN primary CVM card, but with the advances in contactless, I see this as less of a need (and I haven't been to France in a long time!). Does anyone else have reasons for keeping their card? Aside from domestic lounge access in Japan that is not on the Priority Pass network and Alaska Airlines as a transfer partner, I feel there are equal or more benefits with Amex Plat and CSR.

Last edited by askmrlee; Jul 9, 21 at 3:20 pm Reason: Additional clarification.
Old Jul 9, 21, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by askmrlee View Post
Considering canceling at the end of the year when my annual fee is up. I've held onto this for mostly sentimental reasons and to have a true Chip and PIN primary CVM card, but with the advances in contactless, I see this as less of a need (and I haven't been to France in a long time!). Does anyone else have reasons for keeping their card? Aside from domestic lounge access in Japan that is not on the Priority Pass network and Alaska Airlines as a transfer partner, I feel there are equal or more benefits with Amex Plat and CSR.
I know that the primary CDW coverage on DC's consumer cards used to have advantages over the CSR's, but the difference might not be as great now.

Anyway, at $95, I think DC is good as a "just in case" as there are still unattended terminals that auto-decline signature-only cards (although not nearly as many as there used to be), not to mention that it's possible that the "temporary" increases in contactless limits might in fact be temporary after all. I'm not sure it'd be nearly as justifiable if I had the higher-AF version, though, and if DC had apps for either open today I'm not sure I'd recommend for the casual traveler either. Especially since Apple and Google Pay will bypass most contactless limits overseas anyway (at the expense of possibly needing to buy a NFC capable device, of course, plus needing to keep it charged lest you be forced to insert and sign everywhere).
Old Jul 13, 21, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I know that the primary CDW coverage on DC's consumer cards used to have advantages over the CSR's, but the difference might not be as great now.

Anyway, at $95, I think DC is good as a "just in case" as there are still unattended terminals that auto-decline signature-only cards (although not nearly as many as there used to be), not to mention that it's possible that the "temporary" increases in contactless limits might in fact be temporary after all. I'm not sure it'd be nearly as justifiable if I had the higher-AF version, though, and if DC had apps for either open today I'm not sure I'd recommend for the casual traveler either. Especially since Apple and Google Pay will bypass most contactless limits overseas anyway (at the expense of possibly needing to buy a NFC capable device, of course, plus needing to keep it charged lest you be forced to insert and sign everywhere).
Do you have DC Professional, the one originally from Citibank before before sold to Harris Bank/Bank of Montreal (essentially same bank?)? I had that one years ago, they created another version of DC with no foreign transaction fees, but wouldn't apply no FTF policy to DC Professional! And I believe I couldn't apply for the new DC version or product change over. Actually, they stopped taking new applications altogether. Any idea what was their business strategy of buying DC? And not wanting to expand DC card membership?
Old Jul 13, 21, 10:06 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by Magna View Post
....Any idea what was their business strategy of buying DC? And not wanting to expand DC card membership?
They wanted the Corporate accounts. The personal accounts are apparently just a nuisance.
LETTERBOY and brc01 like this.
Old Jul 13, 21, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Magna View Post
Do you have DC Professional, the one originally from Citibank before before sold to Harris Bank/Bank of Montreal (essentially same bank?)?
Yeah, I have the lower AF version of the Consumer card. If PIN usage in the US wasn't a total disaster at a lot more places than it should have been, I could still see the Professional cards having some use for those who want the extra security with domestic transactions, but then again, you could also just do that with Apple or Google Pay and a card from a major issuer (minus at places that are hostile to NFC usage, of course, which are still a larger set than it should be six years after the EMV liability shift).

Originally Posted by mia View Post
They wanted the Corporate accounts. The personal accounts are apparently just a nuisance.
I'm not sure I'd consider them a nuisance. More of a very low priority if anything. Consider how long it took for the Consumer cards to start reporting to credit agencies, for example. Or how BMO only finally integrated those with their existing online banking system within the last year or so.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 13, 21, 12:35 pm
mia

....More of a very low priority.....
The changes to the rewards program, which I summarized HERE, make the card unattractive for many cardholders. BMO has increased the minimum redemption by a factor of ten compared to the program they inherited from Citi. This really undercuts the way many people had used this card to top up an rewards balance. I think this move is mostly a cost saving measure, but it will have the effect of encouraging cancellations.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 13, 21, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia View Post
The changes to the rewards program, which I summarized HERE, make the card unattractive for many cardholders. BMO has increased the minimum redemption by a factor of ten compared to the program they inherited from Citi. This really undercuts the way many people had used this card to top up an rewards balance. I think this move is mostly a cost saving measure, but it will have the effect of encouraging cancellations.
That post is from 2021, however. I would also have expected devaluations to have happened sooner if the card was a higher priority, but then again, perhaps there were never enough DC cardmembers using their points for them to justify doing it before.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 13, 21, 2:07 pm
mia

That post is from 2021,
Yes, I wrote it on Friday . I do not know when Diners changed the minimum redemption from 5,000 to 10,000 miles. I just noticed it when I needed to make a redemption last week. They are simultaneously increasing the minimum redemption -and- increasing the number of points needed per mile. This makes mileage transfers impractical for smaller spenders.
Old Dec 10, 21, 8:40 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by DivMiler View Post
I've had a Diner's Club Card since the early 1990s, and am likely going to drop it this year. It is a "Professional" card, and I've kept it for just the primary car rental insurance...
Part of me wants to keep it "for old times' sake" (and, frankly, that I'll never be able to get it again if I wanted to), but I can't justify to myself the $95 annual fee...
I might call and half-heartedly ask for a waiver of the annual fee, but with my usage I imagine the agent won't try too hard to keep me.
Well, a year (and $95) later, I finally cancelled this week. I only used the card once since I had written the above a year ago. I asked about a waiver, but (as I predicted) with my very low usage, the agent didn't grant me one.
Old Dec 13, 21, 11:10 pm

I did a quick search and I saw a Plaza Premium in New Delhi still listed and no change to domestic lounges as far as I can tell.
Old Yesterday, 10:27 am

I have the Professional card, for over 20 years, and my annual fee of $95 is due. I haven’t used the card in at least 3 years, preferring to use other cards. I’ve transferred all of my points except about 1800 of them. I’ve started purchasing the American Express car rental insurance for my overseas rentals and I get Priority Pass Lounge access via another card. The only reason that I kept the card this long was for the car rental insurance.

Does anyone know if the DC rental insurance is better than the approx. $25 AmEx insurance? In my instance, is there a reason to keep this DC Professional card?
Old Yesterday, 10:40 am
mia

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
.... I’ve started purchasing the American Express car rental insurance for my overseas rentals....
I don't think you need to do this. Primary CDW coverage is not "better" coverage, it means only that if you have multiple policies it will be the first to pay. Most likely your personal auto policy provides no coverage outside USA (and perhaps Canada). This means that the CDW benefit provided by ANY credit card will pay "first" when renting outside the USA because there is no other coverage. The primary vs secondary distinction only matters for domestic rentals.

Search this Thread