Search

[USA] PayPass/contactless feature gone?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
[USA] PayPass/contactless feature gone?

I had a recent interaction with a Diners/BMO CS agent via SM who basically indicated that the cards don't have PayPass at all and that the card will decline if PayPass is attempted. (Which it doesn't, at least on my card.) Has anyone gotten a replacement card from them recently and can confirm whether the card still supports PayPass/contactless? I'm curious if anything actually changed with the cards they're mailing out recently or if this is an error on the CS agent's part.

I'll be disappointed if that feature actually went away but considering that they support Apple Pay I kinda understand.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I had a recent interaction with a Diners/BMO CS agent via SM who basically indicated that the cards don't have PayPass at all and that the card will decline if PayPass is attempted. (Which it doesn't, at least on my card.) Has anyone gotten a replacement card from them recently and can confirm whether the card still supports PayPass/contactless? I'm curious if anything actually changed with the cards they're mailing out recently or if this is an error on the CS agent's part.

I'll be disappointed if that feature actually went away but considering that they support Apple Pay I kinda understand.
You understand, because everyone on the planet has an iPhone, right? What a horrible attitude. I mean, I actually just got an iPhone for practical reasons, and I am using Apple Pay... and liking it. But sometimes I almost don't want to just to prevent this kinda thinking that people will just use their iPhones and thus don't need a working card.

That attitude destroys competition in the mobile phone market...

/end rant
Old May 18, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AllieKat
You understand, because everyone on the planet has an iPhone, right? What a horrible attitude. I mean, I actually just got an iPhone for practical reasons, and I am using Apple Pay... and liking it. But sometimes I almost don't want to just to prevent this kinda thinking that people will just use their iPhones and thus don't need a working card.

That attitude destroys competition in the mobile phone market...

/end rant
It took BMO a while to do Apple Pay in the first place. I'd imagine that they'd definitely do either Samsung Pay and/or Android Pay if offered--just that neither seem to do nearly a good job at recruiting banks as Apple.

And let's be honest, PayPass on DC probably gets very low use. They never mentioned much if anything about it on their website, and combined with the fact that the PayPass implementation on the card is MSD-only it's totally possible that they thought that the Pays were more worthwhile to support than trying to upgrade the cards.

This is all assuming it actually went away, of course.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:52 pm

It took BMO a while to do Apple Pay in the first place. I'd imagine that they'd definitely do either Samsung Pay and/or Android Pay if offered--just that neither seem to do nearly a good job at recruiting banks as Apple.

And let's be honest, PayPass on DC probably gets very low use. They never mentioned much if anything about it on their website, and combined with the fact that the PayPass implementation on the card is MSD-only it's totally possible that they thought that the Pays were more worthwhile to support than trying to upgrade the cards.

The MSD-only implementation really destroys the value proposition, I'll agree. Renders it useless for the Tube, one of the big international travel needs. Android Pay still only adds the two major platforms? What about Windows Phone? Ubuntu? Etc...
Old May 18, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AllieKat
What about Windows Phone? Ubuntu? Etc...
Very few people use those devices relative to the big two (3 if you count Samsung), so it's difficult to justify to issuers why they should support them.

At least Blackberries run Android now so there's that.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:04 pm

Very few people use those devices relative to the big two (3 if you count Samsung), so it's difficult to justify to issuers why they should support them.

At least Blackberries run Android now so there's that.
Or they can continue to issue good old contactless cards that work everywhere. Apple Pay is nice. I use it. But compatibility is awful compared to a physical card (I believe this is because Apple Pay is online-only).
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:10 pm

Is there a difference perhaps between the "new" Diners Club (no forex fee I think starts with 5412) and the "old" Diners Club (w/forex fee starts with 5528)? I have an "old" Diners Club card and it cannot be added to Apple Pay, but I wonder if the new one can and will get dropped for built in Paypass. Citi dropped support for their Paypass chip stickers in favor of mobile phone.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by askmrlee
Is there a difference perhaps between the "new" Diners Club (no forex fee I think starts with 5412) and the "old" Diners Club (w/forex fee starts with 5528)? I have an "old" Diners Club card and it cannot be added to Apple Pay, but I wonder if the new one can and will get dropped for built in Paypass. Citi dropped support for their Paypass chip stickers in favor of mobile phone.
The new one definitely can be added to Apple Pay. I don't know if that necessarily means that they're going to get rid of it on future replacement cards, however, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
A month or so ago, I got a replacement card (on impending expiration) with both chip-and-pin and PayPass.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichG
A month or so ago, I got a replacement card (on impending expiration) with both chip-and-pin and PayPass.
Consumer card or Professional? If the former, can you try tapping it at Walgreens and see if there's some set of numbers near the bottom of the receipt that starts with A? It'll probably be something like A0000000041010 if Google is accurate.

(If that is the case, it's possible that they updated their cards to behave more like contactless cards in some other countries--that is, you'll be able to enter a PIN over a certain amount instead of having to insert.)
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had my card replaced recently and I can answer my own question: PayPass is still on the card. ^ It might still be tap and signature (vs. tap and PIN) for large transactions though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.