Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Diners Club Elite at Target: AFT, fraud alerts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know if Diner's club codes target as grocery? I'm still waiting for my card to come in the mail and I just picked up a Redbird temporary card today. As soon as I get my card I plan to experiment using it to load the Redbird.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by ftomasze
Major fraud alert issues!

I received my card in the mail today and went to Target to load up my AFTs. My first swipe of the card was for $2006 and was declined. Called the number on the back of the card and spoke with a CSR who had me on hold for 10 minutes after verifying my identity and that it was truly me attempting to make the purchase. She had stated that I was good to go and that the transaction would go through. Went back to customer service at Target and swiped again for $2006, declined again. ...! Called DC back and the next agent told me that any transaction above $200 will create a fraud alert at Target given their latest data breech (I get it, but its a brand new card...my first swipe, how could anyone have the card number already -- I digress). The CSR tried to get me to swipe in $200 increments, I told her that was impossible due to limitations on the Target POS device (quick thinking on my feet). I did say I could do 2 swipes, the first swipe for $1003 went through fine...the second swipe for $1003 was declined (as I thought would happen). She cleared the alert and I swiped again and it went through.

After all of these issues I asked to be transferred to a supervisor, I explained that I spend a great deal of money at Target quite regularly and these fraud alerts (if they continue) would be a huge inconvenience. He explained that he would notate the account but could not promise that it wouldn't happen again.

I won't be loading tomorrow but will be loading again on Saturday so I will post an update with my experience then. I have a feeling I will be on the phone with DC again...Will also be trying a large purchase at CVS as well, we will see how that goes.

Off to a little bit of a rocky start.

PS -- For declined transactions, they will appear in your pending transaction list but DO NOT affect your CL. The merchant category is not listed so I am unsure (but I feel that it will based on my experience with other MCs) that it will code as grocery.
This is obviously only related to charges at Target because of the recent breach and for good reason. Ive had charges of $1500, $2300 and $980 in the first week on my DC card and not a sigle fraud alert. No charges at Target.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by IWOL
This is obviously only related to charges at Target because of the recent breach and for good reason. Ive had charges of $1500, $2300 and $980 in the first week on my DC card and not a sigle fraud alert. No charges at Target.
agree it's Target

so not withstanding the cost factor which card has the best offering ?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond
So I seem to be the guniea pig on the Target front.

Ran into the same issues again tonight. Tried to do my usual $2006 charge at Target to load my 2 AFTs and alas it was declined.

Contacted DC and, of course, it was a fraud alert. I spend 45 minutes on the phone back and fourth with the CSR, who eventually got a supervisor who then got security involved. They now cannot unlock my account for some reason and security opened up a ticket on it (great, unwanted attention).

A few points...
1. The CSR did ask what the nature of my purchase was, I told him a TV.
2. The CSR did ask (and informed me that I did not have to answer) if the purchase was for myself or another person (weird).
3. The CSR did mention that "fraudsters tend to go for giftcards when they get ahold of someones credit card." (Duh) -- not sure why he made mention of this -- I am not sure what level of data gets transmitted during a declined charge (My experience with Amex during a FR is that they can see exactly what is being purchased -- but this is on cleared charges).

So, for now, my account is on a security freeze with a ticket pending. I have never experienced this type of trouble with any bank. It, honestly, is unacceptable. I want to use their card and I am (was) considering making it my daily driver, but if they cant get this Target mess under control I am going to cancel the card. Many people will be shopping at Target this holiday season, and most spening more than $250 a trip...their trip wire for Target is set way too low (this is per a conversation I had with the supervisor the first time this has happened).

Anyway, I set a personal record...renedered a card useless in less than 72 hours, hopefully this gets cleared up on Monday.
Not sure I would've lied to them about the purchase... that could've been a red flag right there.

Many Target stores participate in enhanced data programs that allow the issuing bank to see your actual itemized receipt. You can check here to see which ones participate with Visa -- not sure of the comparable site for MC, but the results are probably similar if not identical.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Not sure I would've lied to them about the purchase... that could've been a red flag right there.

Many Target stores participate in enhanced data programs that allow the issuing bank to see your actual itemized receipt. You can check here to see which ones participate with Visa -- not sure of the comparable site for MC, but the results are probably similar if not identical.
Interesting. Off-topic, but I wonder if this means that banks like Chase could deny bonus points if they see gift cards for in-person transactions.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

90% of my spend for initial bonuses across all cards I have were gift cards. If they can see it they're not enforcing it.
Which is pretty surprising because they definitely do if you use the online portals. I get that it's a lot easier to do it for online transactions but apparently they already have the information to do it for at least some in-person transactions.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
...definitely do if you use the online portals....
I think you mean that you do not earn bonus points for purchases of giftcards when prohibited by the terms of a shopping site, such as Ultimate Rewards Mall. That's because shopping portal points are awarded by the merchant, not by the portal operator. The merchant always knows exactly what you purchased, and decides whether to pay commission to the portal operator. No commission, no bonus.

Last edited by mia; Oct 20, 2014 at 7:32 am
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I think you mean that you do not earn bonus points for purchases of giftcards when prohibited by the terms of a shopping site, such as Ultimate Rewards Mall. That's because shopping portal pints are awarded by the merchant, not by the portal operator. The merchant always knows exactly what you purchased, and decides whether to pay commission to the portal operator. No commission, no bonus.
Indeed. I always thought that it was Chase, etc. dictating the terms, not the merchant. Learned something new. ^
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:20 pm

So an update on my situation -- Spoke with a supervisor today at DC (I was told to call back for an update today when my account was frozen on Saturday) and they still haven't taken care of the "security issue." I asked to speak with the security person who was taking care of my account and they told me they do not speak to customers unless they initiate contact. The supervisor told me that the security team would be contacting me when the issue is resolved.

Overall I'm not impressed with DC customer service. I have had long wait times (about 30 min for each call) and no resolution thus far, they've had an entire business day to clear this security thing up.
Please keep us updated. Your detailed posts are very much appreciated and have been helpful to the group.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Loaded $1000 to my pre-paid redcard (redbird) today using my Elite. It went through with no problems.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Good to hear.

My account is still locked at this point.
That's awful, hope it gets cleared soon. I'm going to try to slowly build a purchase pattern and see if that helps me stay under fraud trigger radar.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:17 pm

I've made this my go to card for daily spend. Except today when I got some Legos at Target. I just paid cash. I can't even remember the last time I used cash when a CC was an option.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
I dont even get to try to load my AFT yet.

My account is locked after buying various things at WG and supermarkets. I made 4 charges of 500, and a normal spend of grocery ~30.

My 5th purchase of 500 was declined, so I called trying to clear a security fraud. The rep told me she could not discuss my account with me at this point and I would receive a call back. My guess is there will be something similar to Amex FR or they will just close my account.

If they are so cheap not even paying out 3x on 2500 purchase, do they really expect people pay 300 AF and not spending anything on 3x categories at all? I know some people on myfico really enjoy getting approved for high AF cards just to carry them. But sorry not for us FTers.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ayase
If they are so cheap not even paying out 3x on 2500 purchase
Why do you think this has anything to do with rewards? Rewards expense is trivial compared to fraud losses. Work through the process, and please let us know the outcome.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:43 pm

I got DCElite beginning of the month with $5k CL. I've only used the card for bonus spend. I bought $4k paypal mycash and a few gas a grocery purchases. Paypals were bought with 4 $1k trips to CVS. No issues. I use my PPBusdebit for all my everyday spending. Basically getting 3 miles/$ on all spend these days. Went for simplicity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.