Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diners Fee Increase to $95

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2002, 9:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajnaro:
OK, will anyone be staying with Diners? And if so, why? Even though my fee is taken care of by Citigold, I am OUT because their attitude is obviously changing from customer service to customer rip-off. I am using Starwood Amex, backed up by a Barnes & Noble MasterCard (I like books), even though the Amex effectively costs more for me.</font>
I like the Diners card because of the rental car insurance. I frequently rent in Europe and it becomes my primary insurance. I found out that my U.S. auto insurance does not cover me outside of the U.S.. If there is a better solution to this situation, I'd like to hear it.

Old Feb 13, 2002, 6:40 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FLYMSY:
I like the Diners card because of the rental car insurance. I frequently rent in Europe and it becomes my primary insurance. I found out that my U.S. auto insurance does not cover me outside of the U.S.. If there is a better solution to this situation, I'd like to hear it.
</font>
For less than $95/year, I doubt there is ... I would think you could get it added to your regular insurance policy, but I doubt it will be less than $8/month ($96/year).

I still do not find the SPG card a viable alternative rewards wise because of the lack of hotel partners available on that card (obviously they only have one) and the AMEX card is still behind DC in hotel partners quntity and redemption wise.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 8:24 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum, AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FLYMSY:

</font>
The primary insurance in the US IS a good deal unique to Diners, but all platinum visas go primary in Europe (except for Ireland and Israel, which aren't covered at all.) I'm using a First USA British Airways platinum, which is, I think $65 a year. It also charges one per cent for foreign transactions versus Diners' (and many other mile-accruing cards') three per cent. In other words, if I *only use the card in Europe and spend as little as $3500 abroad, the card pays for itself AND accrues miles. There is a United Airlines card with similar terms, as well as a Marriot, maybe some others. The customer service sucks compared to Diners, but for people who rent and spend abroad, it's a much better deal.

Old Feb 17, 2002, 9:22 am

..When I called Diners about renewing my card and heard about all these new fees, I asked WHY? Get ready for a sleazy answer...because of the events of Sept 11, it costs more for us to do business, people are not buying as much, (aka, we loose interest on that Club Plus pay over time), and for the FF mile transfer - Airlines are charging us more to do it. (I would have thought Airlines would be happy to get peoples miles transferred in so they fly again) Hmmm, seems like $80/yr wasnt enough for the greedy ones. I wonder how many people will drop it and then maybe the will have to reverse the change???
Old Feb 17, 2002, 9:36 am
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ABW:
Diners Canada have just announced a $100 increase in fee for their premium card (Maple Leaf Club card) to $375 effective Apr. 1.

In 98/99 the membership fee for this card was increased from $175 to $275. This latest increase will have members leaving in droves.

yes, but they also credited back $100 to Aeroplan members,otherwise definitely not worth it unless you use the 60 day payment feature.Does any other card do that?

</font>

------------------
AC*SE
Old Feb 17, 2002, 9:38 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ABW:
Diners Canada have just announced a $100 increase in fee for their premium card (Maple Leaf Club card) to $375 effective Apr. 1.

In 98/99 the membership fee for this card was increased from $175 to $275. This latest increase will have members leaving in droves.

</font>
I have already left Diners Canada. The card is not worth CAD$375. I feel I get more benefits from Amex platinum at CAD$399.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 6:25 pm
ABW

Programs: AC SE 3MM, Bonvoy LTE, Accor Diamond, Amex Centurion
parnel/AC*SE: The DC Silver ($65) and Gold ($120) cards also offer the 60 day payment option.

I do not have a problem with DC and will stay as a member - Silver or Gold. The problem I have is the new fee for the MLC card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.