Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Diners Club [various countries] linking free lounge access to transaction volume

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diners Club [various countries] linking free lounge access to transaction volume

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Sounds very reasonable to me. Only 300 €/month is not much.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsastor
Given that it's an average (ie, it's that average amount per month for a full year), yes. It's just to insure that you don't keep the card open solely for a couple of the benefits. (I don't know if the card there comes with collision/theft coverage for rental cars, but the Diners Club USA card does, and there are a number of USA-based FTers who use that card only for rental cars and nothing else, which if they don't rent cars often enough could well be less than that amount that Diners Club Austria requires for lounge access.)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Executive club, Membership rewards, Diners Club, El Al Matmid.
I wonder if they'll make restrictions on the UK issued ones? If they do, I doubt I'd give it up. They offer better Travel insurance than my amex tbh. The rewards program is very poor though.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by tsastor
I understand the change. I don't like the details: The rolling 365 days rule is very hard to keep track off. How much have you spent on your card in the last 365 days?

And they should have announced that earlier - and told all their customers. I read it on AustrianAviation.net - but Diners Club hasn't made me aware of it. So it can be a trap for many members and that will upset them.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Given that it's an average (ie, it's that average amount per month for a full year), yes. It's just to insure that you don't keep the card open solely for a couple of the benefits. (I don't know if the card there comes with collision/theft coverage for rental cars, but the Diners Club USA card does, and there are a number of USA-based FTers who use that card only for rental cars and nothing else, which if they don't rent cars often enough could well be less than that amount that Diners Club Austria requires for lounge access.)
There are no Austrian credit cards on the open market with such rental car benefits. (Not sure about Amex Centurion.) It is totally unheard of.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:25 pm

Card business in the US is a whole other ball game entirely...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by bumblebees
They offer better Travel insurance than my amex tbh.
This surprised me, but I guess it depends on which AmEx you're comparing. I had a look at the new DC website and still find the DC insurance offer disappointing. It's emergency assistance only. No harm with that but hardly comprehensive.

The airport lounge programme for the UK card is also disappointing, especially in the US. Far less comprehensive then the Priority Pass programme included with some UK AmEx cards.

As for the rewards, I see that even the new DC website is offering Swiss International travel miles (at a poor rate) which DC says can be redeemed on a bunch of OneWorld airlines. Perhaps somebody should tell DC that Swiss are now part of Lufthansa, the Star Alliance and Miles and More.

OTOH, if the Swiss International travel miles can really be redeemed on American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas and more, I stand to be corrected.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:28 pm

Diners Club UK stopping free lounge access

See http://www.headforpoints.com/2013/10...r-cardholders/

Does anyone know if Diners Club members from other countries (I'm in Australia) no longer get free airport lounge access?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcba
See http://www.headforpoints.com/2013/10...r-cardholders/

Does anyone know if Diners Club members from other countries (I'm in Australia) no longer get free airport lounge access?
Interesting. The link to Diners Club in the link above says it's £15 per visit. But at the top of the page, my browser tells me I'm looking at the Airport Lounge site for Diners Club UK and Ireland. Well, what's the price for those in Diners Club Ireland??? A conversion from £15 on the ever-fluctuating exchange rate between GBP and Euros???
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

edcba's report about changes to lounge access with a UK-issued card has been appended to the established thread. I will improve the thread title after I have time to digest the policies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.