Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Another Skyteam partner Question- Delta/Copa Airlines

Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum, AAdvantage Gold

Since Copa is part of Skyteam, if I purchase a ticket on Copa, will I be entitled to a comp upgrade? I am Plat Elite with Delta.

Also, has anyone flown Copa before? This will be my first trip with them and I don't know what to expect. Thanks!!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
SkyTeam partners do not have reciprocal upgrades. The only exception for DL flyers is AM.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CulturalGuru
Also, has anyone flown Copa before? This will be my first trip with them and I don't know what to expect. Thanks!!
The Continental forum has lots of Copa flyers and certainly would be productive in a search.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I believe that Copa will no longer be a member of Skyteam once CO leaves in October.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum, AAdvantage Gold
If I fly on Copa in September, before they leave Skyteam, I still earn MQM's though, correct?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
If I fly on Copa in September, before they leave Skyteam, I still earn MQM's though, correct?
Yes.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...index.jsp#copa
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
You won't get an upgrade (probably), but you can get "preferred seating" (my wife and I got bulkhead in coach), and you can board early (first).

We were Silver Medallions when we flew on Copa and that's what we got.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
As a NW elite, I have gotten free upgrades on Copa, last year. They fly mostly 737-800/900 on their routes. Decent service, PTY is a good hub, I rarely have had problems when connecting there.

I've had numerous problems with them when getting award flights through NW. It seems if you make any type of change on the record, it gets messed up, and you will have to fight tooth and nail to be able to board. This year, I had an award that I didn't change (but the NW SIN office did), and it took more than an hour in both directions to get them to accept you on the flight.

Earlier this year, my wife had to pay a $50 charge to have them print the ticket out, before they would accept her (a day later than the original flight).
Old Aug 18, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Since Copa is part of Skyteam, if I purchase a ticket on Copa, will I be entitled to a comp upgrade? I am Plat Elite with Delta.

Shouldn't be any different than getting a Skyteam upgrade on any other Skyteam partner. I noticed Copa is an associate so there could be a different set of rules. I've never tried it. I recently obtained an upgrade from CO. Call Delta SMS, ask if an upgrade is available from Copa for your flight, if it is they will eventually charge you miles. Mine with CO is 7500 SM each way from Houston to Managua & RTN. Haven't heard any negatives about Copa, should be no problem. I think they are HQ'd in Panama and pretty tight with CO. Anyone know if Copa is leaving the Skyteam in Oct with CO?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.