Is Diamond Medallion Status Worth it?

Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL (Platinum), AA, CO, US, SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Silver), Hilton (Diamond)
Is Diamond Medallion Status Worth it?

Do you think the benefits of the new 4th tier are worth trying to obtain an extra 50k MQMs? I'm torn on what to do b/c I currently have 97,000 MQMs (I do love the new rollover) and can't decide if I should go for the Diamond tier or focus my efforts on getting elite status on other airlines.

I live in NY and fly to London monthly in business class and also do a lot of travel within Europe. My plan for the year had been to get Platinum on Delta (the triple MQM promotion was great for this) and then work on getting either Gold or Platinum on American, as well as on Continental (so I could have status on the Star Alliance when they join in October).

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Delta tier as well as whether it's better to keep flying Delta/SkyTeam to achieve 125k MQMs vs spreading myself out and at least getting the first level of elite status on both OneWorld (which I already have) and Star Alliance?

Would love any advice!
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Welcome to FT, ny2london.

The big perks of Diamond are free SkyClub, 125% bonus miles (vs. 100%), unlimited award ticketing redeposits, better phone support, and two choices between 6 SWUs, 6 SkyClub passes, give Gold to someone or 25k bonus miles.

Given that free SkyClub, better odds at upgrades and the 6 SWUs aren't important to you (it sounds like) given that as a PM in Business you already get free lounge access when you're flying and you're sitting up front, that's a big strike.

I'd honestly say having mid-tier on Star and OneWorld (if possible) is better than Diamond on Delta - free lounge access at the mid-tier elite levels, 100% bonus miles, etc. I'd honestly stay put at PM and rollover those MQMs to next year - gives you a better chance of making top tier on Star or OW next year, while only needing 50k MQMs or so to requalify for Plat.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yeah, absolutely NOT worth it for you. You won't use any of the features and just for the 25% extra miles? Take the 50k miles and get yourself BD *G.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by cfischer
yeah, absolutely NOT worth it for you. You won't use any of the features and just for the 25% extra miles? Take the 50k miles and get yourself BD *G.
The one downside to BD *G is the looming takeover by LH - everything I've heard is BD will be joining the Lufthansa M&M brigade...
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mersk862
The one downside to BD *G is the looming takeover by LH - everything I've heard is BD will be joining the Lufthansa M&M brigade...
yeah, some time in 2010 I guess. The upside will be that they will VERY likely move us to LH Sen (which is good for another 2 years).
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
If you're going to keep flying DL, go for Diamond so that your upgrades clear next year. (Then again I fly in a market with tons of Y fares where Silvers trump Plats)

Diamond is NOT as good a tier as UA 1K or AA EXP.

But no reason to go for mid-tier somewhere else if you're going to keep flying DL next year, more important to be top dog in one place.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
If you're going to keep flying DL, go for Diamond so that your upgrades clear next year.
How does Diamond instead of Platinum help with clearing upgrades for someone who mainly flies business class NYC-LON or within Europe? Does elite level play a significant role in determining international ugprades via PMU or miles?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starflyer
How does Diamond instead of Platinum help with clearing upgrades for someone who mainly flies business class NYC-LON or within Europe? Does elite level play a significant role in determining international ugprades via PMU or miles?
That's my thoughts - if one is doing pretty much all JFK-Europe and doesn't fly domestic, the need to clear upgrades domestically is not needed. And even if flying on full Ys domestically, elite status doesn't mean a ton (as a Silver on a Y will trump a Diamond on a B).

Only thing status would do for international upgrades is be a priority in waitlists. But if flying paid Business, waitlists wouldn't really apply.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 8:23 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If you are buying business class with DL AA's EXP and their SWU would be great.

Many routes have three class service and their SWU allow you to upgrade to FC from BC. Why not just go for EXP and forget about DL altogether?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:09 am

The rollover is much better. Makes sense.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by ny2london
Do you think the benefits of the new 4th tier are worth trying to obtain an extra 50k MQMs? I'm torn on what to do b/c I currently have 97,000 MQMs (I do love the new rollover) and can't decide if I should go for the Diamond tier or focus my efforts on getting elite status on other airlines.

I live in NY and fly to London monthly in business class and also do a lot of travel within Europe. My plan for the year had been to get Platinum on Delta (the triple MQM promotion was great for this) and then work on getting either Gold or Platinum on American, as well as on Continental (so I could have status on the Star Alliance when they join in October).

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Delta tier as well as whether it's better to keep flying Delta/SkyTeam to achieve 125k MQMs vs spreading myself out and at least getting the first level of elite status on both OneWorld (which I already have) and Star Alliance?

Would love any advice!
I would not go for DM if I was in your shoes; instead I would do the following with those 50k extra miles:
  • go for a Platinum Challenge on AA and become PM (even possibly ExP) this year (see http://members.shaw.ca/fewmiles/AA/r...allenge.html#1 for details). BTW, I don't know if UA has a similar challenge...
  • Keep my 97-75k miles for the rollover next year on DL. In 2010 I would decide if to go for PM or DM
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Interesting situation for the OP.

AA would be a logical choice with the JFK-LHR being the only TATL and the rest of the flying being intra-Europe, but there are other considerations.

1. AA biz is not lie-flat, but lie flat at an angle. DL's JFK-LHR is lie flat now. If flying this route in J, DL has the advantage.

2. AA has a real F class, that is better tan DL's new J on the 764s. If you could upgrade on all flights, the nod goes to AA.

3. AA partner BA has a hub in LHR, where you are flying to. A small convience advantage to AA, (somewhat negated by having to go to LHR).

4. I assume some domestic USA flying, where route structure and upgrades probably slightly favor DL, but can be variable depending on routes.

5. If other USA TATL routes are flown, then it would again depend on the routes.

Bottom tier is really not worth much on any alliance in comparison to the benefits of top tier on an airline (just the bonus points difference). If you can't at least make mid-tier, I would not bother with a second or third alliance.

Lots of things to consider....
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL (Platinum), AA, CO, US, SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Silver), Hilton (Diamond)
Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll definitely hold off on going for DM this year and focus on getting mid-tier on AA.

I've heard a lot of comments about AA vs. DL, but what do folks think about Continental and Virgin Atlantic? I've heard that Virgin Atlantic is the best airline to fly between NY and London so was thinking about trying them and earning some CO points. I live in Manhattan so EWR vs JFK isn't a big deal for me.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
Translation?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by ny2london
Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll definitely hold off on going for DM this year and focus on getting mid-tier on AA.

I've heard a lot of comments about AA vs. DL, but what do folks think about Continental and Virgin Atlantic? I've heard that Virgin Atlantic is the best airline to fly between NY and London so was thinking about trying them and earning some CO points. I live in Manhattan so EWR vs JFK isn't a big deal for me.

Thanks!
I would suggest you consider their "status match" on Continental or the "AA Challenge" as a short cut to Plat. status before making your decision.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.