Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond

I used to be able to bank miles on china eastern with NW. Can i still do the same with Delta?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL
From looking at the list of airline partners on DL.com it doesn't look like it. It lists China Airlines and China Southern, but no China Eastern. Take a look for yourself.

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by M Singh
I used to be able to bank miles on china eastern with NW. Can i still do the same with Delta?
No, you need CZ metal
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by zman
No, you need CZ metal
MU miles for worldperk yes. Probably not yet for Skymiles.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: FB Platinum; BD*Gold; SPG Platinum, PriorityClub Platinum, HHonors Gold...
Delta Gold benefits when flying China Eastern Airlines

Hello everyone,

Does somebody know if Delta Skymiles Gold have any perks when flying with China Eastern Airlines (not code sharing with DL)?

Thanks so much,

Erik
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:04 am

There are no benefits on China Eastern.

There are some benefits on China Southern through Skyteam, but generally not well enforced.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: FB Platinum; BD*Gold; SPG Platinum, PriorityClub Platinum, HHonors Gold...
thanks for your reply. that confirmed what i thought so...
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:49 am

Flying China Eastern as a PM - Questions

I'm flying China Eastern for the first time in several weeks, HKG-PVG-HKG. Having never flown MU before, I have several questions:

• Am I entitled to lounge access as a Platinum Medallion in HKG and PVG?
• My reservation states that seat assignments will be allocated at time of check-in. Has anyone had luck in calling the reservations line and requesting seat assignments prior to check-in?

Since MU is a DL "partner" and not a SkyTeam member, I'm unfamiliar with the benefits I may have as a PM, if any at all.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Robert
I'm flying China Eastern for the first time in several weeks, HKG-PVG-HKG. Having never flown MU before, I have several questions:

• Am I entitled to lounge access as a Platinum Medallion in HKG and PVG?
• My reservation states that seat assignments will be allocated at time of check-in. Has anyone had luck in calling the reservations line and requesting seat assignments prior to check-in?

Since MU is a DL "partner" and not a SkyTeam member, I'm unfamiliar with the benefits I may have as a PM, if any at all.
Basically you get no benefits. You can get DL base miles, no bonus elite miles. Until MU get's into the ST, there's nothing special. Sometimes you can sneak your way into the elite check-in lines, but that's about it.

No lounge access, and try calling. Not sure if there's much luck with the US numbers, but China numbers work ok if you only speak English.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:34 pm

Award availability on China Eastern

I am trying to get 3 seats on China Eastern NRT-PEK in the last week of July next year. Does anyone know how far in advance they release award inventory and how one can check it online?

I have called Delta several times and they say that there is no availability at that time. China Eastern's website is very wierd. They show no availability (even for paid seats) in July which leads me to believe that no inventory has been released yet. However, if I enter an outbound date in March, then it will let me pick return dates in July...

Any help will be appreciated.

This is my first post - but I have learned a lot from FT over the years. Thanks a lot for all your help.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
DL agents often don't know how to get MU (China Eastern) award flights properly. I once called back 7 times - yes, seven! - but all along they had the MU flight in the wrong fare class, so it was not coming back as "confirmed" and was just waitlisted for over a week. All it took was one competent pm-NW agent to rebook it into the proper fare class for MU (alas, now I forgot what it was) and it came back as confirmed in a few seconds, and was all set and ticketed.

So, make sure that you get a competent DL phone agent and ask them are they sure, really double, triple sure, that they are booking it / querying into the right fare class (ask them what it is, see how many different fare classes you are told each time you call - then when so, ask them, "but the other agent said it has to be fare class __, so what is it really?" and perhaps then they'll check and confirm).
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
yes, if they do it right, it should come back confirmed a few seconds later. It might be hard to get 3 tickets on the same flight, they usually release 2 at a time only. You should also look into China Southern or Korean.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:15 am

Thanks. I will try calling them back again.

My intention is to travel BKK-PEK (stopover)-NRT one way and wanted to get the seats in the lowest (20k) award level. The way I am approaching this is to get a BKK-PEK RT via NRT where I will not use the last NRT-BKK segment. I already have seats on hold at delta.com for the BKK-NRT segments.

Is this the right way to approach this? I could not find a ST airline that flies non stop from BKK-PEK and PEK-NRT.

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
1 Delta agent must request seat from MU to know if there are seats or not. I for economy, D for Business

2 If an agent tells you no seat within a second after you asked, then the agent is wrong. They may say they can not see the seat, there is no an availability, they can not request unless they see the seat. All BS, just keep in mind, they will not see anything unless manually request the seat.

3 you can not book MU A class with Delta, which is their 2 cabin first class award code.

4 Availabilities are quite good, again agent must know how to do it.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by abagga
Thanks. I will try calling them back again.

My intention is to travel BKK-PEK (stopover)-NRT one way and wanted to get the seats in the lowest (20k) award level. The way I am approaching this is to get a BKK-PEK RT via NRT where I will not use the last NRT-BKK segment. I already have seats on hold at delta.com for the BKK-NRT segments.

Is this the right way to approach this? I could not find a ST airline that flies non stop from BKK-PEK and PEK-NRT.

Thanks.
also try CZ BKK-CAN-PEK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.