Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Suntrust to offer Debit card. Mile for every $1

Suntrust to offer Debit card. Mile for every $1

Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
Delta Co-Branded Debit Card Coming in 2010

While perusing delta.com, I found this little tidbit:

Source: SkyMiles/WorldPerks Integration Timeline
August 2009
Announce the 2010 SkyMiles Medallion/Elite program details and tentative launch date of a new domestic SkyMiles co-branded debit card.
IMHO, I think this will probably be issued by US Bank in order to deal with having the WorldPerks Credit card not compete with American Express.

This should be good for those of us that prefer using Debit Cards for their purchases in this time of tight credit availability!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL GM
It's a debit card......what kind of benefits would that offer.....just a pretty photo?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
1 mile per $2 spent is what the WP Visa Debit card offers.

http://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/chec...ail.cfm?cid=6&
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: Independent
So long as it is not American Express. Why does everyone else get a Visa or Mastercard, but Delta only has AMEX?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
Originally Posted by lls138
It's a debit card......what kind of benefits would that offer.....just a pretty photo?
My assumption would be the ability to earn SkyMiles with your purchases!

I think they would need to offer the card with an annual fee. Who knows? MQMs through an AMEX "Mileage Boost" facsimile? It would be nice to have an alternative to AMEX! Especially merchants that do not accept AMEX (The Olympics, for example!)
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cloudship
So long as it is not American Express. Why does everyone else get a Visa or Mastercard, but Delta only has AMEX?
Ditto!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Thumbs up

It's probably very similar (if not the same) as this deal
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...heck-card.html

I just signed up for the NW Gold Visa debit card which normally has a $55 annual fee, but is waived in 2009. I got 5,000 WP points (which I immediately transferred over to my DL account) for opening a free checking account (transferring only $50). The card earns 1 mile/$ on all non-pin purchases. Pretty great deal IMO, especially since applying does not affect your credit and the checking account is free.

My miles posted before I even got my card. USBank has been a pleasure to deal with..nice reps that call to assure me everything is fine and all fees are waived.

Plus- I now have a 747 on my debit card
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:44 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no such thing as an Amex debit card, only Amex credit and charge cards, so my guess is that it won't be an Amex product.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by pitbrian

I just signed up for the NW Gold Visa debit card which normally has a $55 annual fee, but is waived in 2009. I got 5,000 WP points (which I immediately transferred over to my DL account) for opening a free checking account (transferring only $50). The card earns 1 mile/$ on all non-pin purchases. Pretty great deal IMO, especially since applying does not affect your credit and the checking account is free.

My miles posted before I even got my card. USBank has been a pleasure to deal with..nice reps that call to assure me everything is fine and all fees are waived.

That sounds marvie, but you'd think they'd go with someone like, oh, I don't know, Bank of America or something. US is no longer associated w/them, and they're pretty much coast-to-coast. And, I would imagine that a great number of us already bank/do business with them (I do).
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsupstate
That sounds marvie, but you'd think they'd go with someone like, oh, I don't know, Bank of America or something. US is no longer associated w/them, and they're pretty much coast-to-coast. And, I would imagine that a great number of us already bank/do business with them (I do).
I was thinking about it, and I realized that US Bank doesn't even exist in Atlanta! That would be interesting to have Delta's Debit Card not even available in Delta's hometown!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by pitbrian
Thankfully mine doesn't expire until 2011, so that 747 will say NWA.

Hello, our dear friend and supporter Jeff Robertson sold a billion+ dollars in SkyMiles to AMEX.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Hello, our dear friend and supporter Jeff Robertson sold a billion+ dollars in SkyMiles to AMEX.
That, and there are plenty of folks that like Amex and many, many more that are probably indifferent. The wife and I pretty much only use Amex credit cards (or debit cards), though not really for any reason other than we have had cards with them for a long time and never seen any reason to switch. Wouldn't say I think they are the best or anything, but we have never had any problems with the cards or with their service.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage NW WorldPerks DL Skymiles FL A+
I would like to see a pre-paid debit/credit card be associated with Delta, similar to the Mio Mastercard.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Dilemma
I was thinking about it, and I realized that US Bank doesn't even exist in Atlanta! That would be interesting to have Delta's Debit Card not even available in Delta's hometown!
It doesn't matter, you can use your debit card anywhere VISA or MC is accepted. I'm guessing US Bank as the debit card issuer for Delta is the consolation for loosing the NWA credit card business.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: DL GM, Mar Slv, HH Gld
Atlanta Banks

FYI, for those not in ATL...

major banks here include:

Wachovia (now Wells Fargo)
SunTrust
Bank of America
Washington Mutual (now Chase)

and, of course...
Delta Community Credit Union (debit card design)

Last edited by DL201*******; Mar 31, 2009 at 12:18 pm Reason: added card art link

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.