Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) awards via SkyMiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines (SQ) awards via SkyMiles?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 1999, 9:54 am
Original Member
Original Poster

New: You can now earn miles on SQ in economy class

I just noticed this whilst browsing the DL web site. This is from their on-line newsletter. Note the certain limitations on fare class - I don't fly SQ much so don't know how restrictive this could be!

This Just In: Earn SkyMiles With
Singapore Airlines!

Starting on February 1, 1999, you can accrue Delta SkyMiles
with Singapore Airlines in Economy Class. Singapore Economy
Class flights will accrue 70% of the actual miles flown,
excluding X, G and Q class fares. Certain other fares excluded.
Check with Delta for details.
Old Oct 29, 1999, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold
How to get an F award seat on SQ w. DL miles?

Has anyone tried this? It seems you have to call 331 days in advance and even then it seems there might not even be an award seat open on the flights you want.
Business is much easier available and a lot closer to your preferred travel date but it's not what I want.
Old Oct 29, 1999, 7:44 pm

Freebird,

I'm leaving on SQ tomorrow to SIN and HKG. Booked about 6 weeks in advance - no problems. What routes are you looking for?

Try flying through the Pacific gateways instead of Europe.

Good luck.

Carberry
Old Oct 29, 1999, 8:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Sorry - no experience with booking awards on SQ. On a somewhat related note, do either of you know if / when DL will end its ff relationship with SQ since SQ is going to join Star? Hopefully, they won't, but unfortunately, I would think it would be a distinct possibility - unless UA is nice and allows both to participate!
Old Nov 2, 1999, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org
As of yesterday, I am in the same boat(except I want 2 First seats). I found one, but can't get another. I have called 5 times and each time am told to continue calling back to check on cancellations. Every other time I have found a different flight open up(only with one seat though). If you needed one seat it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure they are checking every flight possibility(over the water is the biggest problem-there are only approx. 12 seats in Rainbow First so DL probably doesn't get too many). I am leaving in three weeks so I am hoping to have plenty of cancellations this close to bookings.

I am planning to try and pull some strings with a supervisor this weekend. If it doesn't open up, I am going to ask for some concessions (if possible) since both of us are Platinum-Y fare people. It would never hurt to ask.....but I will send evil emails if you take my seat.....

Good luck

p.s. Are you flexible with your dates?
Old Nov 3, 1999, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold
Carberry: I'm looking for SFO - SIN and then connecting to SGN or BKK or Denpasar. You only booked 6 weeks in advance? There might be hope then.

leroy11: As far as I know DL and SQ are still partners and mileage can still be earned and redeemed between both of them.

ChrisMoss7: Don't worry, I am looking for a seat in November of 2000 (I know, it's still too soon but my past attempts have failed).
I am not really flexible with my dates, that's why I will try 331 days in advance once I made up my mind about my final destination.

Old Mar 31, 2000, 12:00 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Getting SQ award seats?

I have been having trouble trying to book an SQ flight for SFO-HKG-SFO in first and business class. I asked DL award desk to help me do a search and between now and Jan '2001, there were less than 5 dates with first class seats available.

Has anyone had the same experience?
Old Mar 31, 2000, 8:05 am

I booked in March 99 for Raffles Class to SFO-HKG-SIN-BKK in November 99. Didn't have much of a problem.
Old Mar 31, 2000, 10:08 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I think it really depends on the agent you get ... I recently booked a First Class seat on SR to Barcelona in June ... I had tried a couple of times with no success, but in the end I was finally successful when I got an agent who just tried a little harder
Old Mar 31, 2000, 3:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
bagold, SFO-HKG-SFO is a VERY popular route. I am not surprised at all that you are having a hard time getting F award seats.

Since DL and SQ have kept their partnership "to a minimum" (since Fall 1999), award seats on F have been EXTREMELY hard to get. SQ is also joining the Star Alliance so that means lesser award seat availability for DL members. Sometimes I wonder why DL and SQ even kept this pseudo-partnership.

Your best bet is probably Raffles class. It doesn't hurt to call weekly to check if availability on F has opened up. Sometimes it's plain old dumb luck.
Old Apr 1, 2000, 12:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
bagold,
I know what you are feeling. A DL agent told me that they get zero to one and maybe two First class seat on each flight. SFO-HKG is very hard to get. Some flights on that route are acutally completely sold out on a couple of days in June and July in all three classes. An alternative, however don't get your hopes up, is LAX-TPE-HKG.

AusTXHiker is right. You best bet is Raffles class. DL will offer Raffles with a waitlist on First. Make sure they are not charging you for the First class award if you do take this option.

I booked my itinerary for June three weeks ago in First. Only one day and one seat available both on outbound and return. Had to have a 12 hours layover in NRT and another one in SIN to get to HKG and back. On top of this, DL called me a week after my reservation was made that the agent put me on an illegal routing. I had to get a supervisor to approve the illegal routing due to DL agent error. In other words, no SFO-HKG or LAX-TPE-HKG flights in June.
Old Apr 3, 2000, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
seawolf,

I had the same experience over a year ago when I booked an SQ award flight and had to route through SIN. At least I am not the only one that is having problems with SQ. I am just afraid that SQ will leave DL before I can use all my miles on them.

Beckles,
SR seems to be pretty easy to book awards on. I booked 2 first class tickets to ZRN and they had a lot of open dates.
Old Feb 5, 2001, 1:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
FC award availability on SQ using DL miles

Three of us are planning on taking a trip from the US to Singapore later this year, and are planning on using DL SkyMiles awards to get First Class award tickets on Singapore Airlines. I'm a bit concerned that it may be difficult, if not impossible, to get 3 award seats in FC on the same SQ flight.

Do any of you DL experts know the answers to these questions:

1. Does award travel on SQ using DL miles come out of the same inventory that SQ uses for its own awards, or does DL have its own inventory?

2. Does SQ under any circumstances release 3 seats in FC on the same flight for award travel?

I've read on the SQ board that they usually make available only 1 seat for round-the-world tickets, and only rarely 2 seats. I would imagine that they would be even more strict for pure award tickets.

Hopefully, someone here will have an informed answer. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 5, 2001, 6:54 am
Original Member

Issue is flight related---I'm beginning to think that you can get biz/first seats either 331 days out or 3 days out and nothing in between. Keep checking--probably the best advice.

JL
Old Feb 5, 2001, 11:56 am

Also, does the gateway matter? Is it better to go through JFK or LAX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.