Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DeltaCustomerInsight "Real Deal" -- Be Skeptical Of Others

Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:22 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

All,

I recieved several comments from you all on whether "DeltaCustomerInsight" is real. He is a colleague of mine who works in our CRM and Research organization, and is the real deal. He will likely be communicating with you all about some potential product and service related changes we have in the works, and to gather your feedback moving forward. You can trust this source!

Other sources that claim to know information about Delta, including "DLRes2006" (I believe) -- I'd be skeptical of. In fact, I've viewed several posts from people who claim to be Delta employees (and who may be), that think they know what is coming. The reality is that they may be aware of bits and pieces of what is coming or what is being analyzed, however they don't generally know everything. To those colleageus however -- BE CAREFUL! If you really know something that the public shouldn't know -- and you release something early that would be deemed "signaling" or "competitive intelligence," you could pay a big price.

Later all,
Jeff
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Indeed, the cold truth is that no airline employee should post to FlyerTalk unless sanctioned to do so by his or her employer.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
This is a public forum and any particular set of people restricted to post would be considered discrimination.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:28 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zsmith2
This is a public forum and any particular set of people restricted to post would be considered discrimination.
I interpreted it more as a caution to "insider trading" or "insider knowledge" type information that could, potentially subject the poster or the company to regulatory or legal problems.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:42 am

It's fine to tell us what DL's policy is on something. It's not fine to release non-public information (new routes, etc).
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I interpreted it more as a caution to "insider trading" or "insider knowledge" type information that could, potentially subject the poster or the company to regulatory or legal problems.
Insider trading (i.e., including acting on "insider knowledge" in the securities markets) that would present any regulatory (and/or federal legal issues) is predominantly a US Securities & Exchange Commission matter when it comes to the US context. I don't recall seeing anything on FT from a DL employee (or one who come across as such) in this forum that would get their attention for securities-related violations.

That is, the dissemination of non-government-classified information in a public forum that doesn't involve securities transactions either on the part of the "disseminating party" or the audience would not be within their scopes. The Justice Department getting involved would require certain triggers, but nothing I currently recall as being posted by more frontline (customer-facing/-dealing) DL personnel (or those who come across as such) on FT would interest any federal prosecutor or any other DoJ (including anti-trust) authority I've ever talked to extensively.

DL putting the squeeze on DL employees is another matter.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mtparadis
It's fine to tell us what DL's policy is on something. It's not fine to release non-public information (new routes, etc).
Releasing information on new routes before Delta officially does may well be perfectly fine.

Information not readily available to the general public does not necessarily make it universally a forbidden fruit.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
All,

I recieved several comments from you all on whether "DeltaCustomerInsight" is real. He is a colleague of mine who works in our CRM and Research organization, and is the real deal. He will likely be communicating with you all about some potential product and service related changes we have in the works, and to gather your feedback moving forward. You can trust this source!

Later all,
Jeff
As one of the skeptics who quickly asked J the question, THANK YOU Jeff for a response and to DCI...WELCOME (no one who does CRM can be a bad guy (it is what I do for a living *grin*). We are THRILLED to have you here also. We can be a little scary at times, but overall this is the greatest group of posters on FT!

And Jeff thanks for not only answering our question but your other warning also. I think it is very valid, having been burned by a DL employee on line (celery-gate *shiver*) you are right on the money on being skeptical.

ZS, I didnt take the comments as anyone discriminating against you being part of FT, however your employer (ANY employer) can definitely take action if they feel you are posting corporate information inappropriately (or information that paints them in a bad light). If you do a google search on the topic you will see many have been fired for just that! You may at least want to add a disclaimer to your signature (as many airline employees on FT have) that you are posting in a non-official capacity and your comments are yours not the airlines!!!

Anyway, again, welcome to our two official Delta Dudes!!!! We are thrilled to have you!!!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lehava
ZS, I didnt take the comments as anyone discriminating against you being part of FT, however your employer (ANY employer) can definitely take action if they feel you are posting corporate information inappropriately (or information that paints them in a bad light). If you do a google search on the topic you will see many have been fired for just that! You may at least want to add a disclaimer to your signature (as many airline employees on FT have) that you are posting in a non-official capacity and your comments are yours not the airlines!!!

Anyway, again, welcome to our two official Delta Dudes!!!! We are thrilled to have you!!!
First off, RealDLInsider's advocacy of skepticism is something I personally can appreciate. (Skepticism is required for understanding to take place. )

That said, I would definitely not advocate what you are advocating in this quote as it facilitates the airline's (and airline employee's) identification of FTers, those who work for airlines and those who don't.

Personally, I view attempts to control frontline employees' off-hours messages as having as much chance for accomplishment as the TSA frontline employees "keeping" a secret about so-called "super sensitive (security) information" .
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Releasing information on new routes before Delta officially does may well be perfectly fine.

Information not readily available to the general public does not necessarily make it universally a forbidden fruit.
What I said. Also releasing information not available to the general public tends to be frowned upon by many employers. Witness the way Apple computer deals with people who "leak" future product information!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
All,

Other sources that claim to know information about Delta, including "DLRes2006" (I believe) -- I'd be skeptical of. In fact, I've viewed several posts from people who claim to be Delta employees (and who may be), that think they know what is coming. The reality is that they may be aware of bits and pieces of what is coming or what is being analyzed, however they don't generally know everything. To those colleageus however -- BE CAREFUL! If you really know something that the public shouldn't know -- and you release something early that would be deemed "signaling" or "competitive intelligence," you could pay a big price.

Later all,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the advice regarding releasing company information. I think most of us ( Delta employees) who post on FT are very careful about what we answer. I for one, if I'm not sure about a policy or procedure will not post it. I post on my own time (just like you do) and I simply want to help.

If what I do goes against any company policy please let me know and I will stop. Like many others I love my Job and would not want to jeopardize it by posting here. On the other hand if you think I should add some type of disclaimer to continue posting I will.

As others have said I'm happy that Delta has decided to have an official presence here.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Also releasing information not available to the general public tends to be frowned upon by many employers. Witness the way Apple computer deals with people who "leak" future product information!
Yes and yes, but frontline employees are "hard to control" and their messages obviously even harder to control.

Not that it will come to this here, but a witchhunt of airlines' non-official/unauthorized "ambassadors" on FT doesn't serve much positive purpose, especially when airlines' employees contributing here on FT are mostly doing so on their own time out of customer-friendly intentions that go above and beyond their ordinary duties at work yet are often enough a manifestation of off-hours extraordinary dedication to their employer and employer's customers. On FT, theirs is the kind of dedication -- like the RealDLInsider's dedication -- that inspires confidence in DL yet again.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Last time I checked, airline employees are not a discrete and insular minority subject to legal protection under the anti-discrimination laws.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Last time I checked, airline employees are not a discrete and insular minority subject to legal protection under the anti-discrimination laws.
As you well know too there's unlawful discrimination, there's unethical/immoral discrimination, and then there's discrimination. The three are not the same.

I would find airline employees having FT restrict their posting privileges on the basis of employment status and/or employer discriminatory, even as it wouldn't necessarily (or even generally) constitute unlawful discrimination.

Not entirely related, I, for my own personal reasons, would also tend to find as distasteful airline witchhunts for airline employees on FT. On the other hand, a kind note, like that made in the original post, to remind employees posting on FT to keep certain things in mind is more appropriate.

Employers trying to micromanage what employees do on off-hours is a largely futile endeavor. In such situations of micromanaging, things go "underground" but the messages still come out .... sometimes in worse ways than if the "laundry" was merely left hung out to dry as usual. This is all the more reason why airlines should have official contributors. For a model, I like something like FT's very own Starwood Lurker.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 29, 2007 at 2:18 pm
Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For a model, I like something like FT's very own Starwood Lurker.
Sadly if you notice the recent posts, it appears SPG is putting the handcuffs even on their officialposting and Starwood Lurker has said he is going to be able to share a lot less *frown*

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.