Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Simply purchase the economy plus for your delta portion

Way too expensive for not much benefit and you would still need a pricey mileage run last minute in a very busy time of year.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Buy a $90 30-day SC membership for your overseas trip. Worth every penny if you have any significant layover.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:49 am

329 Miles from Silver Medallion...Recommendations?

I was looking at my account last night and realized I am only 329 miles from reaching 25k. Forgot I had taken several flights with Alaska this year and wasn't even expecting to be close.

Does DL ever do anything special in granting status or do I need to get on a plane by Sat? Currently in LAS through the end of the year. Any other recommendations to avoid the airport?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
You can buy 2500 MQMs for $295.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Originally Posted by UALPremier21
I was looking at my account last night and realized I am only 329 miles from reaching 25k. Forgot I had taken several flights with Alaska this year and wasn't even expecting to be close.

Does DL ever do anything special in granting status or do I need to get on a plane by Sat? Currently in LAS through the end of the year. Any other recommendations to avoid the airport?

Thanks!
There will be no exceptions granted. Either buy the MQMs, take a flight or earn them through another method.

Search is your friend ... We've had multiple threads on this topic over the past few days.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The best I'm seeing is LAS-LAX r/t on Sat for just under $260, including fees/taxes.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS 75k
A 1 year Skyclub membership nets 1,500 mqm for $450 (if you have no status).
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: Airtran A+ Rewards, Delta Sky Miles, US Airways Dividend Miles, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club
Try Atlanta to IMT (Iron Mountain, Michigan)

I've seen this round trip for under $400 and it gives you at least 3 segments each way and the miles from Atlanta to Detroit, Detroit to Escanaba, and Escanaba to Iron Mountain. Sometimes a connection through Ohio is in either the return or the trip there. Its about 2500 miles round trip and gives you 6-8 segments.

It won't beat your MQM's, but it will give you segments fast if you are traveling to MI or WI every week.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:16 am

does a 30 day $90 Sky Club membership give MQM miles?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:17 am

Best way to earn MQMs?

Hello there, I am about 6k miles away from being PM. Other than mileage runs or getting a $450 delta card, what is the best/cheapest way of getting 6k MQMs?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
These are the main ways. It's much easier to get redeemable miles.

However, if you'll fly 6000 miles by the end of the year, does getting PM a few months earlier really matter?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:24 am

Problem is that I don't know whether I will fly another 6k miles this year or not... A lot of my flying is done earlier on in the year for some reason (travel budgets).
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In a few previous years it was possible to get a limited number of MQMs at the end of the year, for example by making certain charitable donations, but you should not count on this happening again.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:45 pm
Suspended

1 Cent Per Mile

Originally Posted by Canarsie
To assist those SkyMiles members who want to reach a certain Medallion level next year, I pose the following challenge to all Delta FlyerTalkers:

What is the maximum number of Medallion Qualification Miles one can accrue towards Medallion status for next year?

The best fare I have found is $613.50 round-trip for an A-class (First Class) fare between Atlanta and Orange County airport in California. At an official distance of 1,919 miles each way (according to Delta Air Lines), that means one can earn a total of 7,676 Medallion Qualification Miles for $613.50.

That is a cost of 8 (or, to be more precise, US$.0799244) per Medallion Qualification Mile.

For the record, I am still weighing my options as to whether it is worth it for me.

I challenge other Delta FlyerTalk members to find a less-expensive Medallion Qualification Mile. Who knows it may assist someone to achieve Medallion status for next year (whether one thinks it is worth the effort and expense) who otherwise may not have been able to do so.

Go ahead. I dare you.
I took DL in Y 6 months ago from my home-DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-MSP-home for under one cent per mile. If one can afford a Y, B, or M fare, you are really in the MQM chips, but not cost wise.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:17 pm

There's a sign up offer for the Delta Platinum card that gives a 10k MQM bonus. If you already have a personal Delta card you can still get this bonus by applying for the business version of the card

Originally Posted by malkitsingh
Hello there, I am about 6k miles away from being PM. Other than mileage runs or getting a $450 delta card, what is the best/cheapest way of getting 6k MQMs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.