Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport: The Center of Hell

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2003, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

http://www.somethingawful.com/
The article's currently at the top under the heading Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport: The Center of Hell. It’s position will change as new articles are added. Be warned that the other content on the website can be tasteless.

Excerpt:
No matter where or when you decide to travel, you will invariably be forced to travel through the Atlanta International Airport regardless of Atlanta's proximity to your final destination. If you're traveling from Los Angeles to Seattle, you will be forced to stop in Atlanta. If you go out hiking and decide to swim down a stream, you'll invariably encounter the Atlanta International Airport midway through your journey. If you try to pick a friend up from the Denver airport, travel officials will forcibly pull you out of your car and throw you on a plane bound for Atlanta. Every form of transportation everywhere goes through Atlanta's airport, and when the Earth is nothing but a charred lump of clay 1,000 years from now, the only remnant of our glorious civilization will be the hulking remains of the Atlanta airport, which will be used by a super-intelligent race of centipede monster aliens who inexplicably have to stop there on their daily commute from Neptune to Pluto.

- - -

DELTA AIRLINES EXECUTIVE: "Hmmm, it says here on the chart that we have 238 people booked on a plane that only has 150 seats. Is this a problem?"
DELTA AIRLINES ENGINEER: "No."
DELTA AIRLINES EXECUTIVE: "Well I don't know what we're going to do, how can we fit 238 people on a plane with 150 seats? Do you know?"
DELTA AIRLINES ENGINEER: "No."
DELTA AIRLINES EXECUTIVE: "Let's go get drunk with the pilots."
DELTA AIRLINES ENGINEER: "Okay."

[This message has been edited by IndustrialPatent (edited 06-16-2003).]
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:18 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
GG & I have managed to avoid this for 5 months.

What are you trying to do, ruin our therapy?
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
IndustrialPatent..thanks for the post. Prior to you excerpting the article, I copied your whole post and sent it to my ATL buddies......with a big !!
Old Jun 17, 2003, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
That was amusing, but it got me thinking: When was I last in ATL? So I checked my records, and the answer is February 3 -- more than 4 months ago -- on my way home from New Orleans. I bet it's been more than 10 years since I went so long without visiting ATL! My next expected visit will be in November, when I will pass through on an award ticket.

Of course, now I'm getting REAL familiar with Chicago O'Hare -- on United! Delta hasn't lost me forever yet, but they can't wait too much longer to roll back some of those SkyMiles changes that are in the works.

Bruce
Old Jun 17, 2003, 11:05 am
Original Member

I'd not put too much faith in that article's objectivity.

I think the author must have actually been in Hartsfield at some point, and this has biased him against it!

P.S. Also note the inaccuracy of the schematic of Concourse C. It purports to be all of Concourse C, but is clearly only the ASA half of it...
Old Jun 17, 2003, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
As I sit here in concourse A Crown Room enduring my 3 hr layover (to get BE eqpt to SFO) ,it seems poetic.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 2:32 pm

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
It could be worse . . . last week I saw a Delta employee directing someone to Concorce F by mistake. That poor soul was found wandering around I-75 with their luggage weeks later.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 3:23 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JoeFlyer:
It could be worse . . . last week I saw a Delta employee directing someone to Concorce F by mistake. That poor soul was found wandering around I-75 with their luggage weeks later.</font>
At least they probably got there before their ASA flight boarded!

Old Jun 17, 2003, 3:43 pm

I flew AirTran 2 weeks ago PHL-ATL-FLL, and ATL is a VASTLY different airport when you only have to walk 2 gates to your connecting flight vs trek from one end of a concourse to the center, down to the trains, over to another concourse, then up and over. Also, at least on my route to FLL, ATL is really not that far out of the way.

I still remember about 15 years, way before I was knew about FT or mileage runs, going from PHL to MCO that went via CVG, now that seemed like a STUPID routing, go West instead of south. And yes, back then it was a Delta flight.

Jeff
Old Jun 17, 2003, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
you know what they say ...

D - does
E - everything
L - leave
T - through
A - atlanta
Old Jun 17, 2003, 4:40 pm

I've only been connecting in ATL for around six years. No matter how much I grumble about those MCO-ATL flights arriving in E and having to run to A, it is still far better than ORD, DFW, DEN, and IAD.

marc
Old Jun 17, 2003, 5:00 pm

I agree that there are worse airports than ATL. Even if it is big, the walks can be good for you. Above all, however, the best feature at ATL is in concourse A: Paschal's (for great southern food). But has it reopened from the remodeling yet?
Old Jun 17, 2003, 5:16 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jwhite4:
I flew AirTran 2 weeks ago PHL-ATL-FLL, and ATL is a VASTLY different airport when you only have to walk 2 gates to your connecting flight vs trek from one end of a concourse to the center, down to the trains, over to another concourse, then up and over. </font>
Imagine my shock last month when I stepped off my BOS-ATL flight only to realize the same equipment would take me on to LAX! (on DL)
Old Jun 17, 2003, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Going through Atlanta earlier this year, I thought that I would have to do the whole tram thing, but it was just the next gate down! Then I had quite a lot of time to kill before my next flight, or at least a lot more than I expected. But I had a bit of a walk on the way back through CVG.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 6:28 pm

Paschal's is great!! However, I am now on a diet so I go to the wrap place a few stands down for an absolutely wonderful salad with grilled chicken. Fantastic for less than $5.

One advantage of losing the MD-11s and 777s out of MCO is now our flights are in A (763) or T (764) so no more hikes to E.

marc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.