Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM, British Airways Silver
Originally Posted by escog
Hello,

Booked a flight SFO-CPT with Delta. Unfortunately, I just noticed that the connection time in JFK on the outbound portion of my trip is only 45 minutes. I called up Delta, and asked about this. The customer service rep could only say that it's a "legal" connection time. But, she did say, as a personal aside, that she thought it was too tight. However, she also said that it's very likely that there'll be a schedule change that'll make this an easier connection to make. She said it probably wasn't worth cancelling and re-booking at a higher fare - better to just wait it out as she was 90% certain they would reschedule by the summer.

Here's my itinerary:

Thu 26JUN DELTA 1074
LV SAN FRANCISCO 1025P
AR ATLANTA 608A#

Fri 27JUN DELTA 134
LV ATLANTA 1225P
AR NYC-KENNEDY 310P

Fri 27JUN DELTA 128
LV NYC-KENNEDY 355P
AR CAPE TOWN 355P#

Sat 12JUL DELTA 129
LV CAPE TOWN 600P
AR NYC-KENNEDY 630A#

Sun 13JUL DELTA 613
LV NYC-KENNEDY 820A
AR SAN FRANCISCO 1150A

So, what are the opinions here? Can I make this connection? Perhaps the departing flight is in the same terminal or nearby? Or, am I looking at a terminal change and having to go through security again?

Try to find different flights that give me a better connection time? There is a different routing (SFO-JFK direct), but it's $150 more. Worth it?

I've got 24 hours to cancel.

Thanks.
Isn't the minimum check-in for international flights 60 minutes? I wouldn't try anything this close at JFK, even though most outbound flights seemed to be delayed fairly consistently (although they may be sitting on the runway for some time).
Old Apr 3, 2008, 6:53 pm

Very tight but possible, most likely your outbound from JFK will be delayed as well. Saying that I wouldn't trust me or especially Delta that the schedule will change. If you still have time to cancel and rebook, do it, at least it will put your mind at rest.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:09 pm

Since you booked SFO-CPT - It's upon DL to insure that all connect times are legit. My sense is that if everything is OK - your gates will not be too far
Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, British Airways Silver
Originally Posted by akhullar
Since you booked SFO-CPT - It's upon DL to insure that all connect times are legit. My sense is that it everything is OK - your gates will not be too far
Trust me - I'm from Delta and I'm here to help!
Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I think that if you really want to be on your CPT flight (and why wouldn't you?), I would say that this is a very hazardous connection. A little ramp congestion can eat up much of your connection time even if you land on time. But you will not need to clear security again.

My suggestion: Either fly into JFK the day before and spend the nite in a local hotel, or at a minimum, fly into ATL earlier the day before and spend the night in an ATL airport hotel, flying ATL-JFK earlier in the day! A little June thunderstorm activity in either the ATL area or anywhere around the Northeast corridor, and you are cooked if you stick to your current itinerary.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
You won't need to reclear security. It's all in the same terminal.

That being said, it is a very tight connection. Given that JFK-CPT isn't a daily flight (I believe it's 4 days per week), you could be looking at a multiday wait in NYC for another flight (and that's dependent upon a seat being available). I wouldn't risk it, but that's just me.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I'd wait for a schedule change, but why didn't you book SFO - JFK instead of SFO-ATL-JFK? Also, you have a long layover in JFK, you might be able to get on an earlier flight to JFK that morning.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:59 pm

When I schedule a 3-4 hour connection in New York, it seems my flight arrives early. When I go for 90 minutes or less, it seems that my flight always has a delay into New York. New York is so prone to delays I would try to get a longer connection. If you go with a tight connection, know your re-routing options.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold
Why not DL4386? Leaves ATL @ 8:30am arrives JFK @ 10:55am giving you a very comfortable connection. Otherwise I would just SDC to DL 618 on the 26th direct SFO-JFK, but then you have most of the day in the airport...
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Do not attempt a 45 minute connection to International at JFK.

Repeat the above as many times as necessary so that you recall it just about as easily as you can recall your own telephone or social security numbers.

Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by DLinYUL
Why not DL4386? Leaves ATL @ 8:30am arrives JFK @ 10:55am giving you a very comfortable connection. Otherwise I would just SDC to DL 618 on the 26th direct SFO-JFK, but then you have most of the day in the airport...
Problem is you can't officially SDC on an international itin. Hence why I said the OP might be able to get on an earlier flight from ATL.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
For that matter, rather than factor in the nightmare than can be NYC airports, from ATL you could fly ATL-DKR to connect to the DKR-CPT flight and simply circumvent NYC altogether.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Hmm, o.k., it seems that the consensus is that this is too tight a connection, and that there is significant risk in depending on Delta to make a schedule change.

I guess I'll cancel in the morning and book SFO-JFK at the higher fare.

Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by DLinYUL
Tried to do this, but the Delta website wouldn't let me book the 8:30 am departure out of ATL. Kept telling me the fare was unavailable.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
For that matter, rather than factor in the nightmare than can be NYC airports, from ATL you could fly ATL-DKR to connect to the DKR-CPT flight and simply circumvent NYC altogether.
This is my exact thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.