Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Memphis (MEM): The Definitive Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MEM:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

For DL-DL connections:
D-D and D-I: 30 minutes (except 45 minutes for Canada and NAS)

For D-D connections between DL and another carrier: 1 hour
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Memphis (MEM): The Definitive Thread

Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

MEM - AMS connection time - too close?

I am connecting in MEM to AMS later in the week. I just now noticed that my first flight lands only 35 minutes prior to the AMS flight leaving. If I am to be on board the AMS flight 30 minutes prior to departure, am I hosed? I am familiar with MEM, but I don't want to kill myself getting from gate to gate.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't want to be in that situation. The only scenarios by which you'd be able to make it comfortably would be early arrival of the flight into MEM, a delay of the MEM-AMS flight, or a combination thereof. If I were you I'd try to get on an earlier flight into MEM.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
When KL used to fly to MEM with KL625/626 I'd fly from TYS and arrive at 8:30pm and catch KL flight departing at 9pm easily. My TYS flights usually arrived at C11 and KL flight departed from B43.

I, also, do not remember the KL evening flight to AMS close the door exactly at 9pm. It was more like 9:15-9:20pm. This is NW flight, so they might be more punctual...

If you do not feel comfortable w/ only 30 mins between arrival and departure, then try to get onto earlier flight to MEM.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:49 pm

I know people that have made 35 minute connections in MEM easily. Since it's domestic->international, it won't be as much as a problem as international->domestic would be. You should be fine...
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:33 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
While you most likely will have no problems, it is always best to know your OPTIONS!
I do a lot of international trips, and because missing an int'l flight quite often means a 24-hour delay in getting where you are going, I try to be very pessimistic in my thinking. There are 2 things that could mess you up: weather delays and mechanical delays. Neither of these are under your control, so I always give myself at least 1.5 hours to connect to my int'l flight. And I am really most comfortable with at least 2.5 hours. This allows for plenty of time to visit the Duty-Free Shop, and cuts down on the potential ulcers/headaches of a missed connection. And a little time in the World Club allows for last minute phone calls, etc.
I start checking the weather 7 days prior to my flights, and at 3 days before I have a pretty good idea if weather is going to be a potential problem. If so, I look at earlier options that might be needed, including using a different hub to connect to an int'l flight. I usually make my decision 24 hours before, as to whether it might be necessary to go to the airport even earlier in the day in order to leave myself with as many options as possible on the day of the flight.
The later it gets in the day, the fewer choices you will have!!!!
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:10 am

http://www.nwa.com/travel/timetable/help.pdf
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:47 am
azj

I'm not an agent, but I've had several of my flights (that I'm working) become delayed for various reasons. And always, if connections are going to be busted, then the agents will reroute you. If you're departing from a city that has service to DTW or MSP they'll reroute you via those cities to AMS. Per the folks at the control center in MEM, "as a general rule, AMS (in MEM) is NEVER held for connecting passengers."

30 min should be fine, as other people have mentioned. Where are you flying in from?

AZJ
Old Nov 25, 2003, 8:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by homer37:
I am connecting in MEM to AMS later in the week. I just now noticed that my first flight lands only 35 minutes prior to the AMS flight leaving. If I am to be on board the AMS flight 30 minutes prior to departure, am I hosed? I am familiar with MEM, but I don't want to kill myself getting from gate to gate.</font>
Where are you flying from, and what day you come in to MEM. Wednesday Afternoon to Thursday Morning, suppose to be scatterd storm. MEM is a small aiport, and you should not have any problems.

[This message has been edited by ilkhats44 (edited Nov 25, 2003).]
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:51 am

Thats close. Be sure to find out what the next flight out is in case you miss it.

[This message has been edited by Alcibiades (edited Nov 25, 2003).]
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:50 pm

I did this a few weeks ago from MIA-MEM-AMS. And it was fine. We even left a few mins late waiting on a few people and still arrived in AMS an hour early. I think you will be fine, just have a backup plan ready.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I chickened out and changed my flight...
Old Dec 4, 2003, 7:38 pm

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
MEM-38 mins to make a connection-enough time?

I am looking at MSY-MEM-ICT on December 7. I would "arrive" into MEM at 11:57a on NW metal and depart at 12:35p on Pinncale giving me 38 mins to make the second flight. Is this enough time in your opinion? I can fly AA, CO or DL through DFW or IAH but do not really want to if I can avoid it. (Just something about my bags never making the entire trip when I go through TX...lol).

Thanks for any thoughts on the connection time.

Lane
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
I think you will make it. Just note that you will probably fly into the B concourse (main concourse for all NW non-regional jet planes) and then have to move over to the A or C concourse for the Pinnacle RJ flight. There is a connector that cuts across all 3 concourses. Just take a moment to acquaint yourself with the terminal map in the magazine, know where you are going, and you will be fine. Note, these concourse changes DO NOT require going back through a security checkpoint.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:37 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
You should be fine. I have made numerous 40 min connections in MEM without a hitch and plenty of time to spare. MEM is not a very big airport.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 6:05 pm

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
Thanks for the encouraging advice. I booked the flights through MEM on the outbound. Unfortunately, there was no way to make the inbound on NW, so gonna have to suck it up and go on CO through IAH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.