Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Official: DL First US Airline to Allow Electronics Gate to Gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Grouchy
UPDATE FROM DELTA - since Aug 1, 2014 all International Delta and Delta Connection flights allow PED use below 10,000 feet.

Delta connection carriers that allow PEDs during taxi, takeoff and landing:

UPDATE FROM DELTA - as of this morning (9 December 2013), all regional carriers flying as Delta Connection allow PED use below 10,000 feet.

SkyWest: As of 11/14
CRJ-200: Yes
CRJ-700: Yes
CRJ-900: Yes
EMB-120: Yes

Compass: As of 11/7
ERJ-170/175: Yes

Endeavor Air: As of 11/8

ExpressJet: As of 11/3

Shuttle America: As of 12/3
ERJ-170/175: Yes

Chautauqua Airlines: As of 12/9
ERJ-145: Yes

GoJet Airlines: As of 12/9

Please update with yes or no based on aircraft type and date of most recent flight.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

I know some other folks posting in the other forum, but started this to more accurately reflect PED are now ALLOWED. (Mods ill let you merge if better)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-000-feet.html

Wow, couldn't believe my ears when I heard the FA announcements today that DL now allows for PED gate to gate, "the first US airline to do so." I literally thought they were joking.

Of course the safety video says turn off electronics, but this is for real now. ^
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I know some other folks posting in the other forum, but started this to more accurately reflect PED are now ALLOWED. (Mods ill let you merge if better)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-000-feet.html

Wow, couldn't believe my ears when I heard the FA announcements today that DL now allows for PED gate to gate, "the first US airline to do so." I literally thought they were joking.

Of course the safety video says turn off electronics, but this is for real now. ^
I think this should stay separate, rather than buried in among all the speculation and wondering.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Very impressive. DL was ready to submit materials for approval as soon as the government lifted the ban and then the FAs were immediately informed of the changes.

Well done, DL. (Just please don't allow voice calls during flight.)
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...c-devices.html
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
On BDL - MCO as we type. Announcement was made that electronic devices under 2 pounds were allowed to be used gate to gate, as long as they were in Airplane mode.....

Glad to see this, but now how many of the DYKWIA fools are going to push the limits with calls and texting?

I am not opposed to the texting so much if a rule was implemented that one would have to either tun off sound or use headphones. I see it now.. ding, bloop, whistle, etc......

Also, on cameras, can we enforce a no flash rule?

I do see this as a step in the right direction.

The FA'S even made the comment that they are just as happy about not having to ask, as,many were that the usage was now allowed.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:47 am

Flight attendant told me they all got calls at home yesterday about the new policy. The flight attendants love it more than the passengers, no more going row to row scolding everyone.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Premier Sliver
Yep, so new that FA's today had to read the announcement from a card.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Once 'mightly illusion of "security/safety theatre" goes away. Good riddance!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:10 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
On 3290 (DSM-MSP) the FA (Henry) knew nothing about the new rule because 'no one had sent him the memo'.

I asked if the pilots got updated briefings or should I worry that they might try to land on a closed runway because no one told them - followed by a blank stare. Other pass in FC showed the newspaper articles but Henry was waiting for a hand delivered memo.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by puddinhead
On 3290 (DSM-MSP) the FA (Henry) knew nothing about the new rule because 'no one had sent him the memo'.

I asked if the pilots got updated briefings or should I worry that they might try to land on a closed runway because no one told them - followed by a blank stare. Other pass in FC showed the newspaper articles but Henry was waiting for a hand delivered memo.
Same thing yesterday from MSP to FNT, but hey, no big deal
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Both my JAX-ATL and ATL-LAS crews this morning were aware, and made the new announcements.

I think it's great that Delta worked to be able to implment this pretty quickly after the FAA finally moved.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
This is great. I have complained about this ridiculous rule plenty of times, but I do understand it was the FAA requiring this. It was just annoying when FA's would come over the PA and say "our aircraft cannot move until all electronic devices are powered off. airplane mode is not acceptable, each electronic device needs to be turned off now." or even "we are still seeing some passengers with electronic devices on, they need to be turned off now as our flight cannot takeoff due to the dangers of your devices remaining on." Sigh, meanwhile you look closely at galley and see another FA checking her mobile. :roll eyes:

But props to DL for being the first airline to allow this.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Lead on 300 ATL-MSP saw me shutting down on approach and made a point to tell me I could leave it on.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by puddinhead

You should be ashamed of yourself. Surely you don't think this is NOTAM worthy.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:55 am

Does anyone know if applies to DL Connection flights as well or is it just mainline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.