Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Submits Plan to Allow Electronic Devices to Stay On Below 10,000 feet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold

Just announced.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/10/...ets-on-planes/

Wonder how long it will be before DL announces that their rules are changing to reflect the new FAA rules.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:42 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Delta Submits Plan to Allow Electronic Devices to Stay On Starting Tomorrow

You can now keep your electronic devices on while flying Delta.

Delta Air Lines is ready to allow its customers to be the first to use their portable electronic devices below 10,000 feet as early as Nov. 1, 2013 pending Federal Aviation Administration approval. All Delta aircraft have completed carrier-defined PED tolerance testing to ensure the safe operation of passenger portable electronic devices during all phases of flight and Delta's plan has been submitted to the FAA for approval.

In support of the FAA's call for expanded PED usage in flight, more than 570 mainline domestic aircraft stand ready to allow customer use of e-readers, tablets, and smartphones, all in airplane mode, during taxi, takeoff and landing on domestic flights. Delta Connection's more than 550 regional aircraft will be ready by the end of the year. In-flight Wi-Fi will continue to be available for customers above 10,000 feet.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Just announced.

Wonder how long it will be before DL announces that their rules are changing to reflect the new FAA rules.
Exactly 24 hours.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: DL GE
Fantastic news!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:07 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Hopefully those in exit rows will not be allowed to use them. I can't imagine trying to exit the plane in an emergency with someone in the exit row using their PED.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:08 am

Link to FAQ with handy table of when devices allowed once approved.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by fti
Hopefully those in exit rows will not be allowed to use them. I can't imagine trying to exit the plane in an emergency with someone in the exit row using their PED.
I don't see that as being any different than having a book. Most books and magazines are much larger and heavier than a eReader or smart phone.

I'm happy to see the industry has finally dragged themselves to the modern times. I look forward to the day I don't hear, "Please turn off devices, airplane mode isn't safe, it has to be off." After which the FA checks their phone in the galley.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Fantastic news! But let's be honest here; I've known a lot of people just put their devices in airplane mode and leave it on for the entire duration of a flight. Oh, and once I was on a flight from DCA to JFK and sat next to a congressman in the exit row. He was sending emails and texts before takeoff, during takeoff, during final approach, and landing. Let's just say that his party is against more government regulation and so I guess that was his way of protesting more government.

Anyway, good to see that the FAA is finally coming to terms with the modern era. Additional kudos to not allowing for cell phone calls... I'd hate to see someone get smacked for jabbering on their phone about crap no one else cares about.

Last edited by Pathfinder813; Oct 31, 2013 at 9:13 am Reason: just because...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Intially posted here in the DL forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...cs-flight.html

Travel Buzz thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...one-calls.html
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
With GoGo only being available about 10k feet (my guess has always been due to the no electronics below 10k feet rule), I'm hoping that this service is allowed from gate to gate now.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862
With GoGo only being available about 10k feet (my guess has always been due to the no electronics below 10k feet rule), I'm hoping that this service is allowed from gate to gate now.
Seems like the no WiFi below 10,000 feet rule is still in effect and would take GoGo out of the picture.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
It's interesting they're allowing headphones - would think it impedes individuals' ability to listen to the safety demonstration...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: DL -DM, CO - PM
The 10,000 foot rule for GoGo is more for technical reasons and how they send the internet signal to the plane.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862
Per DL....

Will customers be able to use satellite-based Wi-Fi on Delta’s international aircraft below 10,000 feet when they are available for customers?

The FAA certified Delta aircraft to enable Wi-Fi system use only upon reaching an altitude above 10,000 feet. Current air-to-ground Wi-Fi systems through Gogo are not optimized for service below 10,000 feet, in part because the system uses cellular antennas optimized for use above 10,000 feet. The plans for Wi-Fi service on Delta’s international aircraft use a satellite-based system that could feasibly be used by passengers below 10,000 feet if the FAA approves the use of these systems in the future.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by The Weekly Flyer
All Delta aircraft have completed carrier-defined PED tolerance testing to ensure the safe operation of passenger portable electronic devices during all phases of flight and Delta's plan has been submitted to the FAA for approval.
Wonder what the test was? -- maybe the new andriod devices that the FAs started using for cart sales were the test?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.