Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Upgrading with Delta and SkyMiles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rwoman
Hi Everyone,

With the dl.com update, there were some broken links. I think I've fixed all of them. I also added mnredfox's thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html.

If I've missed anything, please let me know!

Thanks,
robin
Thanks, and I had this thread already linked there. Not if people would just read these threads...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Thanks, and I had this thread already linked there. Not if people would just read these threads...
Eventually, I'll stop laughing...

Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:31 am

So wonder if the fare class change is screwing some things up.

I am on an award ticket NK class.

On checkin I noticed I was one from the bottom on the upgrade list, out of 20 people.

As a PM I can understand not making it to the top but second from the bottom was odd.

Had the agents check at the airport and they said it was showing up as a 'UP8' code, which is a 'pay with miles' ticket. I'm not on a pay with miles, but a peak award, two different things.

I see that on the Delta site Pay with Miles is now eligible for upgrades, but it's listed as being prioritized within your elite tier. Which would mean a UP3 level code, ahead of Golds and Silvers.

The agents tried pulling it out and letting the computer reassign, but it's still stuck thinking this should be a UP8.

Not that I would have cleared, but very odd...anyone else encounter this 'UP8' code?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hello Everyone,

I think I've got it straight with the new fare class stucture.

Please let me know if I missed something!

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Below are the fare class requirements for upgrades using SWUs, GUCs, RUCs, miles, and paid standby. Hope this comes in handy for others -- especially since the mileage award upgrade fare requirements are not explained anywhere on the DL website, and since most agents also seem to be a little fuzzy on them.

SWUs
International outside N. America: M+
International within N. America: K+
Domestic incl. Hawaii: K+

GUCs
International outside N. America: V+
International within N. America: V+
Domestic incl. Hawaii: V+

RUCs
International outside N. America: NA
International within N. America: V+
Domestic incl. Hawaii: V+**
**JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA: NA
**ATL-HNL: NA

Mileage Upgrade Awards
International within N. America: M+
Domestic incl. Hawaii: K+

Same-Day Standby Upgrades (paid)
Domestic incl. Hawaii: V+**
**JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA: NA

Last edited by lamont2718; Jun 10, 2014 at 4:43 pm Reason: Updated
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718
Below is my current understanding of the fare class requirements for upgrades using SWUs, mileage, and paid standby. Hope it comes in handy for anyone else who was wondering -- especially since the mileage award upgrade fare requirements are not explained anywhere on the DL website, and since most agents also seem to be a little fuzzy on them.

SWUs
Domestic: K+
N. America to/from HNL: K+

Mileage upgrade awards
International within N. America: M+
Domestic: K+
N. America to/from HNL: K+

Paid same-day standby upgrades
International within N. America : K+
Domestic excl. HNL: K+
N. America to/from HNL: T+
For paid same day standby upgrades I believe you should change N. America to/from HNL to V+ (at least that is what Delta now says on their website.)
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by RobertH
For paid same day standby upgrades I believe you should change N. America to/from HNL to V+ (at least that is what Delta now says on their website.)
And from other threads it seems there may now be paid and mileage same-day standby awards international outside of N. America from any fare. YMMV
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by RobertH
Thanks -- have made the update.

Originally Posted by HongKonger
And from other threads it seems there may now be paid and mileage same-day standby awards international outside of N. America from any fare. YMMV
You're referring to the L/OP ATL-STR situation from this thread? Given the mysterious circumstances, it's not quite clear yet how that upgrade happened or what those upgrade rules are...
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rwoman
There are several types of upgrades on Delta and with SkyMiles:

- Mileage Upgrades (Domestic/International) LINK
The link above is DEAD - "PAGE NOT FOUND." I have searched for over an hour and cannot find an international upgrade chart using SkyMiles anywhere. What is going on with Delta?

Last edited by DCBob; Nov 4, 2013 at 2:40 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
The link above is DEAD - "PAGE NOT FOUND." I have searched for over an hour and cannot find an international upgrade chart using SkyMiles anywhere. What is going on with Delta?
What about this one? Also linked in my post above (#50). http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...de-awards.html
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Does this page help? http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...rnational.html
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What about this one? Also linked in my post above (#50). http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...de-awards.html
Link has been updated.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...de-awards.html
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Thanks. I though your post #50 was strictly about qualifying fare classes for upgrades and didn't realize there was a link that included the mileage chart.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:18 am

I used some SWU's for an SFO > ATL red eye coming up in May for myself and a companion.

Is advance inventory released for this flight or is this also a battlefield-only route?
Is it possible only one of us will clear in case of a BF UG or do we both have to clear?
Finally, any crystal ball forecasting on how/if/when to check for inventory on this route? The "tweet every day" approach seems annoying, although I'll do it if recommended.

Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM
Upgrade with Miles

I just requested mileage upgrades for my wife and myself on a Q fare for JFK-SEA. My record shows this coded as Systemwide Upgrade Requested. As I did not use an old SWU I want to confirm that the agent put the request in correctly- any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.