Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hideous "Fare Change" on DL.DUMB after entering credit card info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

I selected a route on DL.dumb and was presented with an all-in price. After entering credit card info and etc and clicking "purchase," I got this:

Fare Change

The fare quoted earlier of HK$ 11,775 (HKD) has changed. The new fare for this itinerary is HK$ 14,135 (HKD). To continue your purchase click Continue. Otherwise click Start Over to return to the Reservations input screen and select different dates and times.
The difference here is about $330 in USD. What the...

So I start over and enter the same route and choose the same flights. Again I am presented with an all-in price of HK$11,775. Again after entering all my info I get the same message from above.

What is going on here?

Are we allowed to swear on this forum?

(Not to mention, when I "search by schedule" and choose the exact same flights and get the exact same fare classes, the price is even higher than that quoted in the above message!)
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Are you logged-in? If so, don't.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Best-in-class IT.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
I had a similar problem yesterday when trying to change a ticket it would tell me one price just the usual change fee and then when i tried to submit it the price would jump to 650 I called the medallion line, they said they were having lots of problems and transfered me to online support who said they couldn't help. I ended up talking to Kori in SLC and she had the same problem on her end. She went away worked some magic and got it changed for $150. success but a pain in theA@# Sometimes I think delta IT is broken on purpose so that people have to pay more to get what they want
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: 2 many 4 2 long.
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Best-in-class IT.
This fraud has been occurring long enough now to indicate inarguably that it is not DL's IT that is the problem.

The problem is Delta's intentionally designed business model aimed solely at misleading and defrauding customers.

The great news is that the DL model started crashing in around them over a month ago based on their own internal numbers, but no executive there has the brains, ethics or P&L knolwledge to correct it while overtly admitting their errors.

Here's their latest trick, played on me: I booked a DFW-AMS J r/t ticket at a confirmed (with printouts) 150,000 miles. 3 days later I check my mileage balance and discover that 200,000 miles were fraudulently debited.

I am now flying AA instead.

It really is nice to be rid of Delta on my end!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Buccaneeratheart
The great news is that the DL model started crashing in around them over a month ago based on their own internal numbers, but no executive there has the brains, ethics or P&L knowledge to correct it while overtly admitting their errors.
Recent history has taught us that executives are only interested in their fat bonuses and don't care about the business, the workers or the customers.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Are you logged-in? If so, don't.
I thought of that as I know this bug/fraud exists on DL.dumb. However I double checked that I was not logged in. But I had been logged in a few minutes before, I wonder if it had a session cookie on me or something?

And of course I entered my SM number (but didn't login) when I entered my CC info.

Assuming I don't get it to work, if I call the medallion line (I'm GM) would they be able to give me the lower fare?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum
I experienced the same problem this Saturday - I wanted to book a one way trip from MYR-DCA. The price quoted on the Delta site was $80.40. I was logged on, entered all of my credit card information, and hit submit, and it said sorry, quoted fare is no longer available. Instead, the new fare was $286.40 one way! I cleared my history and internet files, went back on the site, and again it was advertised for $80.40. Went through the same process and it again said the fare was no longer available.

I called Delta (I'm a Silver Medallion) and they said they were unable to give me the lower quoted price and that the price I quoted was never available! Next, I wrote to Delta's customer support and got an e-mail back saying that fares change without notice - a very frustrating response, especially with the false fare being advertised.

I also wrote to Ms. T. B. and today I got a response back. Much to my delight, I was presented with a voucher that enabled me to buy my ticket close to the advertised rate.

The way Delta handled this was very encouraging. Even though it was their fault for the wrong price - they made things right by giving me the voucher.

I would write a similar e-mail detailing your flight numbers and the time you booked your flight. Good luck to you.

Last edited by thezipper; Apr 26, 2011 at 5:55 am Reason: edit to remove employee name
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gregman858
I experienced the same problem this Saturday - I wanted to book a one way trip from MYR-DCA. The price quoted on the Delta site was $80.40. I was logged on, entered all of my credit card information, and hit submit, and it said sorry, quoted fare is no longer available. Instead, the new fare was $286.40 one way! I cleared my history and internet files, went back on the site, and again it was advertised for $80.40. Went through the same process and it again said the fare was no longer available.

I called Delta (I'm a Silver Medallion) and they said they were unable to give me the lower quoted price and that the price I quoted was never available! Next, I wrote to Delta's customer support and got an e-mail back saying that fares change without notice - a very frustrating response, especially with the false fare being advertised.

I also wrote to Ms. T. B. and today I got a response back. Much to my delight, I was presented with a voucher that enabled me to buy my ticket close to the advertised rate.

The way Delta handled this was very encouraging. Even though it was their fault for the wrong price - they made things right by giving me the voucher.

I would write a similar e-mail detailing your flight numbers and the time you booked your flight. Good luck to you.
Wow, that's great. If I can't get it to work I will try that. Who is Ms. Toby Broberg?

Shysters man.

Again I ask, are we allowed to swear on this forum?

Last edited by thezipper; Apr 26, 2011 at 5:55 am Reason: edit to remove employee name
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Buccaneeratheart
This fraud has been occurring long enough now to indicate inarguably that it is not DL's IT that is the problem.

The problem is Delta's intentionally designed business model aimed solely at misleading and defrauding customers.

The great news is that the DL model started crashing in around them over a month ago based on their own internal numbers, but no executive there has the brains, ethics or P&L knolwledge to correct it while overtly admitting their errors.

Here's their latest trick, played on me: I booked a DFW-AMS J r/t ticket at a confirmed (with printouts) 150,000 miles. 3 days later I check my mileage balance and discover that 200,000 miles were fraudulently debited.

I am now flying AA instead.

It really is nice to be rid of Delta on my end!
I've had exactly the same issue. Only the fare increase I saw was nearly $1000. I called Delta reservations, and they sold the seat at the original price but charged the phone booking fee (I didn't feel like spending 30 minutes of brain-damage with web support).

According to McCartney in the WSJ, government agencies have looked into this and found no problem. I dispute that argument, and I dispute the cacheing issue - after all, there should be NO issue on an airline's own website, and especially there should be no issue once entering credit card number. Yet it happens over and over.

I'm of the opinion that the regulators need to know each time it happens since they don't believe there's an issue.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I've had exactly the same issue. Only the fare increase I saw was nearly $1000. I called Delta reservations, and they sold the seat at the original price but charged the phone booking fee (I didn't feel like spending 30 minutes of brain-damage with web support).

According to McCartney in the WSJ, government agencies have looked into this and found no problem. I dispute that argument, and I dispute the cacheing issue - after all, there should be NO issue on an airline's own website, and especially there should be no issue once entering credit card number. Yet it happens over and over.

I'm of the opinion that the regulators need to know each time it happens since they don't believe there's an issue.
Who are the regulators who need to know about this and what is the proper channel for informing them?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I selected a route on DL.dumb and was presented with an all-in price. After entering credit card info and etc and clicking "purchase," I got this:

The difference here is about $330 in USD. What the...

So I start over and enter the same route and choose the same flights. Again I am presented with an all-in price of HK$11,775. Again after entering all my info I get the same message from above.

What is going on here?

Are we allowed to swear on this forum?

(Not to mention, when I "search by schedule" and choose the exact same flights and get the exact same fare classes, the price is even higher than that quoted in the above message!)
Same here. I gave them a call and they said that it takes some minutes for the fare to get updated. Called again after 6 hours and suggested to the CSR to report the problem to IT, the CSR said that there was no error its only a fare change. It has now been more than two days and guess what, still doing the same crap.

I try to report the problems that I find to Delta, thinking they may be interested in fixing them, but you'll be amazed at the responses that I get.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eloraculo
Same here. I gave them a call and they said that it takes some minutes for the fare to get updated. Called again after 6 hours and suggested to the CSR to report the problem to IT, the CSR said that there was no error its only a fare change. It has now been more than two days and guess what, still doing the same crap.

I try to report the problems that I find to Delta, thinking they may be interested in fixing them, but you'll be amazed at the responses that I get.
Book on Orbitz/Expedia?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Just pay the money or fly elsewhere. Or waste your time arguing or filing complaints.

it's your choice.

I think swearing is ok, but cursing, cussing, and foul language is verboten IME.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SW RR, UA Mileage+
Yeah, several years ago my father and I booked a first class award ticket to Alaska on Delta. We booked it about as far in advance as we were allowed (about 300 days as I recall) and thought nothing of it until a few days before the trip (our mistake). When we called to check our itinerary, we come to find Delta had "cancelled" the flight 7 months earlier and dumped our entire itinerary without re-booking us on a new flight. Mind you, cancelling the flight involved changing the flight number 1 digit and pushing the departure time back 5 minutes.

We then had the pleasure of trying to re-book the award flight just a few days before departure via the Indian call center, a hopeless endeavor. They refused to make good on the change at all other than depositing our points back into our accounts. The initial call to customer care got us no more than an offer to fly us first class to Atlanta from our home airport in Las Vegas, then economy from ATL to SLC to ANC. The next escalation got us an offer to fly us to SLC at 7am followed by a 14 hour layover before getting us into ANC at 12:25am. They finally compromised with a late flight out of Vegas to SLC in economy (commuter air) and that late First class flight to ANC.

To this day my father still believes our original flight filled up with award passengers in first so early that Delta dumped the flight to try and pick up some paying customers in first.

If I knew then what I know now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.