Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
LHR is a big place and terminals are not connected airside. Airside transfers are done by bus. Landside transfers can be made via the free Heathrow Connect train to T1/2/3. To get from T4 to T5, you can either take train and transfer at T1/2/3 or, depending on timing, use the local bus (free) from T4 to T5.

All Delta Flights depart from London Heathrow Terminal 3:
Check in for DL flights departing LHR T3 is in the same area of the terminal used by VS. This is the southside of the T3 check in area - if looking straight on at the building, go to the left. Business, DM, and PM can use the Upper Class Check in area.

Boston:
DL 58: BOS-LHR...A332.
DL 59: LHR-BOS...A332 (Arrives at Terminal E).

New York:
DL 401: JFK-LHR...A332.
DL 402: JFK-LHR...A332.
DL 403: JFK-LHR...A332.

DL1: LHR-JFK...A332.
DL2: LHR-JFK...A332.
DL3: LHR-JFK...A332.

Atlanta:
DL 30: ATL-LHR...A332.
DL 32: ATL-LHR...A333.

DL 31: LHR-ATL...A332.
DL 33: LHR-ATL...A333.

Detroit:
DL 16: DTW-LHR...A332.
DL 18: DTW-LHR...B763.

DL 17: LHR-DTW...A332.
DL 19: LHR-DTW...B763.

Minneapolis:
DL 10: MSP-LHR...B763.

DL 11: LHR-MSP...B763.

Philadelphia: No longer operates.
DL 194: PHL-LHR...75W.
DL 195: LHR-PHL...75W.

Seattle: Now operated by VS.
DL 4349: SEA-LHR...B789.
DL 4348: LHR-SEA...B789.

Some notes on seats: I have not discussed extensively, as it has been covered ad nauseam on the forum.

Comfort+ - LINK

764:
The J the configuration is 1-2-1. If traveling with a companion, the two middle seats work well, as they're next to each other. With the window seats, the seat console is between the passenger and the aisle on the odd seats, minimizing being bumped by someone in the aisle. Some people do not like the forward seats (1-3) due to galley noise while others like these seats for their privacy.

For Y seats, row 30 (exit row) has tons of space. Comfort+ are rows 15-18. Row 15 is the bulkhead C+ seat - opinions vary, but the legroom here is not as good as on the 763. Refer to the C+ FAQ for pictures.

763:
The 763s on this route are the modified a/c with lie flat J seats. The rows with C+ on the 76Ws typically used on LHR flights are 16-21.

DL Forum 763 Mod Tracking (lots of info on seats) - LINK

Beginning in spring 2018, many of Delta's B767 flights to London were switched to A330s instead, which is generally thought to be a more comfortable aircraft type, especially in business class.

Want to see London on approach to LHR?
If you want the chance to get a good look at London when landing @ LHR (assuming the weather cooperates), sit on the right side of the a/c. If winds dictate landing patterns over the city, you'll see it from this side. Pics from one of my landings.

Immigration & Baggage Collection @ LHR

The FA's will provide a landing card for those with non EU/EEA passports. If you're staying in the UK, you'll need the address (hotel, residence, etc.) for your landing card. Passport control will request the landing card and your passport.

Upon deplaning, you will head to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) checkpoint if remaining in the UK or follow the purple "flight connections" signage if you have an onward flight from any LHR terminal.

If you are connecting, refer to the Heathrow website for details on other terminals and specific flight connections.

When flying BE, the FA's hand out FastTrack passes, which often speed the process of entering the UK, the immigration queues can take a while.
  • T3: As you enter the immigration hall, the UK/EU desks are immediately to your left, keep going straight. The entry to the non-EU passport queue will be ahead on the left and FastTrack will be directly ahead. Keep an eye on the regular queue because it's often faster than FastTrack (more agents).
  • T4: If looking at the UKBA desks, the FastTrack lane has been moved to the center of the passport control area and is in between the EU and non-EU passport queues. In the absence of a FastTrack card, I try to be prompt in getting to passport control...closer to the front, the better!

**Also, be sure to have a copy of your itinerary with you as border agents sometimes ask for evidence of your planned departure from the UK.

Baggage:
After clearing passport control, pax head downstairs to collect their baggage (T3 or T4). LHR baggage is generally pretty good and the priority tags work most of the time^. There are cash machines, vending machines, and restrooms in the baggage hall.

Upon collecting baggage, pax pass through customs and then enter the arrivals hall. Booked taxi courier drivers are often waiting across from the exit doors.
  • T3: As you exit customs into the arrivals hall, follow the lane around - the ramp to the Underground and Heathrow Connect/Express will be on the left. Hotel bus shuttles (Hoppa bus) and the taxi rank are also to the left and outside.
  • T4: Go to the left for the Heathrow Connect/Express trains and go to the right for Underground trains (The Underground (AKA the Tube) is the cheapest way into London via the Piccadilly Line; Heathrow Connect to Paddington with a few stops in between is in the middle; the Heathrow Express is the most expensive direct service to Paddington). Rental car and limousine desks are to the right. Rental car and hotel shuttle buses (Hotel Hoppa) are outside of the terminal - follow posted signs.

Baggage storage is also available outside of security.
  • T3: Left Luggage is near the WH Smith in the arrivals hall.
  • T4: Exit to the right and it is across from the escalators that go down to the Tube station.
It currently costs 5GBP/item for 0-4 hours, 11GBP/item for 4-24 hours storage, and 5GBP/item for each additional 24 hours.

Lounges:

Arrivals @ LHR T3:

D1, DM, and PM can use the VS Revivals Lounge on the mezzanine level. Unlike with departures lounges, DM and PM are not allowed to bring a guest along to the Revivals Lounge (unless flying in D1/Upper Class).

Departures:

LHR T3: Delta One passengers, DMs, and PMs have access to the VS Clubhouse lounge. DMs and PMs may bring one guest who is traveling on the same flight. A 3rd party lounge (the "No. 1 Traveller" Lounge) is offered to GM traveling in economy or Premium Economy.

NOTE: Although the dl.com Sky Club Locations page states that Sky Club members get access to the SkyTeam lounge at LHR, I've had agents at the desk there tell me that my SC card does not matter and my ST Elite+ status is what gets me access unless flying in J.
FT Discussion:
Paid SC Member Denied Access to LHR Sky Team Lounge

Check in and security at LHR T4 (AF, KL, and other SkyTeam partners):
Check in for SkyPriority and J pax is at the desks used for SkyTeam pax.

As far as time for check in, Delta Check In Time Requirements. On that note, I have family (Medallions) who have checked in (with checked baggage) right at 60 minutes before the flight and made it through security and to the plane with a few minutes to spare.

FastTrack for the security checkpoint - The FT lane is to the left if looking at the main security queuing point. Pax flying in J can use FT. I have been able to use FT when flying in Y by showing my DM card. Not sure if it is the policy, but I last used it on March 2013 with no issue. Others have also reported success using the FT lane by showing their credentials.

NOTE: Increased security measures at LHR security checkpoints are creating delays - Email I received from DL LINK

If flying AF or KL from LHR, the latest check in time changes effective 1 Feb 2012: Changes to Latest Check-in Time at LHR on AF/KL
More discussion on London and the UK:
FT UK & Ireland Forum - LINK
UK Air Passenger Duty

DL paid ground transfer JFK-EWR/LGA on TATL flights - LINK

Delta and Virgin Atlantic (VS) Partnership:
dl.com: VIRGIN ATLANTIC PARTNERSHIP FAQS
FT thread: Delta Virgin Atlantic Partnership

NOTE: At LHR, DL and VS use T3 while other SkyTeam carriers use T4. These terminals are not connected air or landside.

VS Fare Classes:
VS fare classes do not align with DL fare classes. VS fare buckets:
Upper Class - J, C, D, I, Z, G (G is an award & upgrade fare class)
Premium Economy W, S, H, K, P
Economy Y, B, R, L, U, M, E, Q, X, V, N, O

Note that because Virgin Atlantic uses the same G fare class for both award tickets and upgrades, if using miles or GUCs to upgrade a Virgin Atlantic flight, it will be rebooked in G and may thus show up to Delta as ineligible for mileage earning with SkyMiles. This is incorrect, as upgraded tickets should earn miles based on the original coach ticket -- so if upgrading Virgin Atlantic flights, pay close attention to your SkyMiles earning and be ready to follow up with Delta to get the miles credited correctly.

dl.com - earning miles on VS (VS is a Tier 1 partner.): LINK

Medallion Benefits flying on VS (DM, PM, GM):
- Priority Check-In
- Priority Baggage Handling
- Priority Security
- Priority Boarding
- Baggage fee waiver for one additional piece up to 23kg (~50lbs)
- VS Clubhouse access with a same-day TATL flight on DL or VS (GMs: only at BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO, not LGW/LHR; PM have access at LGW, but not LHR unless in J; DM have access at LGW and LHR)

NOTE: VS J pax (and presumably Medallions) are now eligible for Fast Track security for connections, departures, and arrivals at LHR T3: LINK.

Clubhouse (Lounge) Access:

DL/VS J passengers get access to VS Clubhouse lounges at LGW/LHR and BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO with a same-day TATL flight on either DL or VS.

GM in W or Y have access to the BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO lounges but not LGW/LHR.

DM or PM in W or Y may use the LGW and LHR Clubhouse lounges as well as BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO, and may bring 1 guest traveling on the same flight with them.

DM/PM/GM in W or Y at LHR T3 have access to "No. 1 Traveller" lounge instead of, (for DMs in addition to), the VS Clubhouse.

LHR T3:
al330729's pics from the VS Clubhouse at LHR T3 - LINK

JFK:
As a DM flying JFK-LHR, I was able to use the VS Clubhouse at JFK. For pics, please see:
- Lounge - LINK
- Food - LINK
- Showers/Spa - LINK

VS Revivals (Arrivals) Lounge at LHR T3:
alee0729 had no issues accessing the VS Revivals Lounge following a DL arrival into T3. Shower pic - LINK

On Dec. 21, 2013, I stopped by the Revivals Lounge to get clarification on access for DL Medallion members. Per the agent, only pax flying Upper Class (Business) can currently access the lounge due to space issues; DL Medallion status does not = access. This may change once some DL flights start using T3 in Spring 2014.

Upgrading on VS-Operated Flights:
Virgin Atlantic Code Share Flight Questions
Using SM to Upgrade on VS

Access to Extra Leg Room Seats / Exit Rows on VS-operated Flights:
Possible Improvements to the DL-VS Relationship
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Flying to London on DL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Post FAQ: Flying to London on DL

Hi All,

There seem to be frequent questions about flying to LON on DL, so I figured one thread might be able to help address the questions I've seen. My fellow FT'ers who transit LON airports can probably add to it as well.

Flights from London Heathrow Terminal 3:
Check in for DL flights departing LHR T3 is in the same area of the terminal used by VS. This is the southside of the T3 check in area - if looking straight on at the building, go to the left. Business, DM, and PM can use the Upper Class Check in area.

Atlanta (to/from LHR T3):
DL 38: ATL-LHR. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 38 is the first flight to leave ATL for LHR and operates daily.
DL 39: LHR-LHR. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 39 is the first flight to leave LHR for ATL and operates daily.
DL 84: ATL-LHR. 76W with flat bed seats. DL 84 is the second flight to leave ATL for LHR and operates daily.
DL 85: LHR-ATL. 76W with flat bed seats. DL 85 is the second flight to leave LHR for ATL and operates daily.
DL 10: ATL-LHR. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 10 is the third flight to leave ATL for LHR and operates daily.
DL 9: LHR-ATL. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 9is the third flight to leave LHR for ATL and operates daily.
DL 164: ATL-LHR. 715p departure. 76W with flat bed seats. DL 84 is the second flight to leave ATL for LHR and operates 6x per week - Sunday-Friday.
DL 165: LHR-ATL. 76W with flat bed seats. DL 85 is the second flight to leave LHR for ATL and operates 6x per week - Monday-Saturday. (Commenced March 31, 2014)

Boston (to/from LHR T3):
DL 186: BOS-LHR. 76W with flat bed seats. DL 12 operates daily. (Becomes DL 186 on October 26, 2013)
DL 187: LHR-BOS. 76W with flat bed seats. DL 11 operates daily. (Becomes DL 187 on October 27, 2013)

Los Angeles (to/from LHR T3):
DL 35: LAX-LHR. 763 with flat bed seats.
DL 35: LHR-LAX. 763 with flat bed seats. (Arrives at TBIT)

New York (to/from LHR T3):
DL 403: JFK-LHR. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 403 is the first flight to leave JFK for LHR and operates daily.
DL 401: JFK-LHR. 76W with flat bed seats. DL 401 is the second flight to leave JFK for LHR and operates daily.
DL 405: JFK-LHR. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 405 is the third flight to leave JFK for LHR and operates daily.

DL 404: LHR-JFK. 76W with flat bed seats. DL 404 is the first flight to leave LHR for JFK and operates daily.
DL 406: LHR-JFK. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 406 is the second flight to leave LHR for JFK and operates daily.
DL 402: LHR-JFK. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 402 is the third flight to leave LHR for JFK and operates daily.

Seattle (to/from LHR T3):
DL 37: SEA-LHR. 763 with flat bed seats.
DL 36: LHR-SEA. 763 with flat bed seats.

NOTE: DL plans to add PHL service on April 8, 2015 using the 757-200ER a/c. (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-phl-lhr.html)

Flights from London Heathrow Terminal 4:
Check in (Sky Priority and regular pax) is now at the check in desks DL uses to operate its flights. There is no longer a dedicated SkyTeam Business/Elite check in area in Area H (LINK).

Detroit (to/from LHR T4):
DL 18: DTW-LHR. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 18 operates daily.
DL 19: LHR-DTW. -764 with flat bed seats. DL 19 operates daily.

Minneapolis (to/from LHR T4):
DL 40: MSP-LHR. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 40 operates daily.
DL 41: LHR-MSP. 764 with flat bed seats. DL 41 operates daily.

DL assumed one of the VS LAX-LHR routes and VS now operates one of the ATL-LHR flights as of Oct. 26, 2014. DL Press Release

Some notes on seats: I have not discussed extensively, as it has been covered ad naseum on the forum.

Economy Comfort / Comfort+: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-seating.html

764:
The J the configuration is 1-2-1. If traveling with a companion, the two middle seats work well, as they're next to each other. With the window seats, the seat console is between the passenger and the aisle on the odd seats, minimizing being bumped by someone in the aisle. Some people do not like the forward seats (1-3) due to galley noise while others like these seats for their privacy.

For Y seats, row 30 (exit row) has tons of space. Economy Comfort are rows 15-18. Row 15 is the bulkhead EC seat - opinions vary, but the legroom here is not as good as on the 763. Refer to the EC FAQ for pictures.

763:
The 763s on this route are the modified a/c with lie flat J seats. The rows with EC on the 76Ws typically used on LHR flights are 16-21.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ng-thread.html

Want to see London on approach to LHR?
If you want the chance to get a good look at London when landing @ LHR (assuming the weather cooperates), sit on the right side of the a/c. If winds dictate landing patterns over the city, you'll see it from this side. Pics from one of my landings.

Immigration & Baggage Collection @ LHR

The FA's will provide a landing card for those with non EU/EEA passports. If you're staying in the UK, you'll need the address (hotel, residence, etc.) for your landing card. Passport control will request the landing card and your passport.

Upon deplaning, you will head to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) checkpoint if remaining in the UK or follow the purple "flight connections" signage if you have an onward flight from any LHR terminal.

If you are connecting, refer to the Heathrow website for details on other terminals and specific flight connections.

When flying BE, the FA's hand out FastTrack passes, which often speed the process of entering the UK, the immigration queues can take a while.
  • T3: As you enter the immigration hall, the UK/EU desks are immediately to your left, keep going straight. The entry to the non-EU passport queue will be ahead on the left and FastTrack will be directly ahead. Keep an eye on the regular queue because it's often faster than FastTrack (more agents).
  • T4: If looking at the UKBA desks, the FastTrack lane has been moved to the center of the passport control area and is in between the EU and non-EU passport queues. In the absence of a FastTrack card, I try to be prompt in getting to passport control...closer to the front, the better!

**Also, be sure to have a copy of your itinerary with you, as border agents sometimes ask for evidence of your planned departure from the UK.

Baggage:
After clearing passport control, pax head downstairs to collect their baggage (T3 or T4). LHR baggage is generally pretty good and the priority tags work most of the time^. There are cash machines, vending machines, and restrooms in the baggage hall.

Upon collecting baggage, pax pass through customs and then enter the arrivals hall. Booked taxi courier drivers are often waiting across from the exit doors.
  • T3: As you exit customs into the arrivals hall, follow the lane around - the ramp to the Underground and Heathrow Connect/Express will be on the left. Hotel bus shuttles (Hoppa bus) and the taxi rank are also to the left and outside.
  • T4: Go to the left for the Heathrow Connect/Express trains and go to the right for Underground trains (The Underground (AKA the Tube) is the cheapest way into London via the Piccadilly Line; Heathrow Connect to Paddington with a few stops in between is in the middle; the Heathrow Express is the most expensive direct service to Paddington). Rental car and limousine desks are to the right. Rental car and hotel shuttle buses (Hotel Hoppa) are outside of the terminal - follow posted signs.

Baggage storage is also available outside of security.
  • T3: Left Luggage is near the WH Smith in the arrivals hall.
  • T4: Exit to the right and it is across from the escalators that go down to the Tube station.
It currently costs 5GBP/item for 0-4 hours, 10GBP/item for 4-24 hours storage, and 5GBP/item for each additional 24 hours.

Lounges:

Arrivals @ LHR T3:

In early December 2014, DL announced the opening of the Delta Arrivals Lounge at LHR T3. Hours are 6am - 2pm.
As of my visit to the VS Revivals Lounge on Nov. 4, 2014:
  • PM/DM traveling in Economy (VS, DL) or Premium Economy (VS) on a TATL flight arriving at T3 can now use the Revivals Lounge. Of note, this is for the member only and no guests are allowed.
  • BusinessElite / Upper Class pax arriving into T3 can use the lounge.
  • This is not an option for ST Elite Plus traveling in economy/premium economy.

Arrivals @ LHR T4:

Delta uses the Yotel as an arrivals lounge in T4. BE, DM, PM, and GM (Sky Team Elite Plus) get 1 hour free at the Yotel. There are queues at times.

Both UA and DL can use the Yotel as an arrivals lounge. UA pax apparently can also use the fitness center at the Hilton - this is not an option for DL pax - I saw this happen on 4 April 2012 as I checked out of the Yotel (and they told a CO passenger they did not have any space) after using my post-arrival hour and asked the Yotel desk person.
Some of the existing discussion threads on the Yotel:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ls-lounge.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...xperience.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...el-lhr-t4.html (This is when I stayed in the premium room, not the free room.)

Departures:

LHR T3: BusinessElite, DM, and PM can use the VS Clubhouse lounge. A 3rd party lounge is offered to GMs.

LHR T4: There is a SkyTeam Lounge @ LHR T4. It is located across from Gate 10 and is on the right. It has showers, massage chairs, nap rooms, decent food offerings, wifi, video games, news papers, and lots of seating and electrical outlets (mostly UK with some US outlets).

NOTE: Although the dl.com Sky Club Locations page states that Sky Club members get access to the SkyTeam lounge at LHR, I've had agents at the desk there tell me that my SC card does not matter and my ST Elite+ status is what gets me access unless flying in J.
Recent Discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-lounge-3.html

Limousine Service for Passengers on Certain BusinessElite fares - LINK

Check in and security at LHR T4:
Check in for SkyPriority and J pax is in Zone H - it is tucked away by the SkyTeam carriers' ticket desks. As of early April 2011, DL was using the desks to the right side of the ST elite area - one queue for checking in at the airport and another for bag drop after checking in online or at the kiosk. Check in for non-SkyPriority Y pax is in zone F.

As far as time for check in, Delta Check In Time Requirements. On that note, I have family (Medallions) who have checked in (with checked baggage) right at 60 minutes before the flight and made it through security and to the plane with a few minutes to spare.

FastTrack for the security checkpoint - The FT lane is to the left if looking at the main security queuing point. Pax flying in J can use FT. I have been able to use FT when flying in Y by showing my DM card. Not sure if it is the policy, but I last used it on March 2013 with no issue. Others have also reported success using the FT lane by showing their credentials.

NOTE: Increased security measures at LHR security checkpoints are creating delays - Email I received from DL LINK

If flying AF or KL from LHR, the latest check in time changes effective 1 Feb 2012: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...l#post17850531
More discussion on London and the UK: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/ and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-duty-apd.html

DL paid ground transfer JFK-LGA/EWR on TATL flights:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...e-jfk-lga.html

Delta and Virgin Atlantic (VS) Partnership:
dl.com: VIRGIN ATLANTIC PARTNERSHIP FAQS
FT thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rtnership.html

NOTE: At LHR, VS uses T3 while all other SkyTeam carriers use T4. These terminals are not connected air or landside.

VS Fare Classes:
VS fare classes do not align with DL fare classes. VS fare buckets:
Upper Class - J,C,D, I, Z
Premium Economy W,S, K, H
Economy Y,B,R,L,U,M, V, E, Q, X, N, O

dl.com - earning miles on VS (VS is a Tier 1 partner.): LINK

Medallion Benefits flying on VS (DM, PM, GM):
- Priority Check-In
- Priority Baggage Handling
- Priority Security
- Priority Boarding
- Baggage fee waiver for one additional piece up to 23kg (~50lbs)

NOTE: Based on lamont2718's experience, VS J pax (and presuably Medallions?) are not eligible for FastTrack security at LHR T3 - LINK.

Clubhouse (lounge) Access:

Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse access will be offered to Diamond and Platinum Medallion members on same-day travel when flying on a Delta- or Virgin Atlantic-operated transatlantic flight to or from the U.K.
This does not include 3rd party contract lounges.

LHR T3:
al330729's pics from the VS Clubhouse at LHR T3 - LINK

JFK:
As a DM flying JFK-LHR, I was able to use the VS Clubhouse at JFK. For pics, please see:
- Lounge - LINK
- Food - LINK
- Showers/Spa - LINK

VS Revivals (Arrivals) Lounge at LHR T3:
alee0729 had no issues accessing the VS Revivals Lounge folliwng a DL arrival into T3. Shower pic - LINK

On Dec. 21, 2013, I stopped by the Revivals Lounge to get clarification on access for DL Medallion members. Per the agent, only pax flying Upper Class (Business) can currently access the lounge due to space issues; DL Medallion status does not = access. This may change once some DL flights start using T3 in Spring 2014.

Upgrading on VS-Operated Flights:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...questions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...pgrade-vs.html

Access to Extra Leg Room Seats / Exit Rows on VS-operated Flights:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ationship.html

Last edited by rwoman; Dec 15, 2014 at 11:24 am Reason: Removal of ST Elite/Biz Check In @ T4
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I suggest that "lay flat" be replaced by "flat bed" in the seating description since "lay flat" often suggests the angled version AF uses.

I finally figured out the second ATL/DTW frequency are complementary. Thus, if there are two flights from ATL on a given day, there's only one from DTW that day. There are 11 weekly departures from ATL and 10 weekly from DTW.

Getting into Central London from LHR is easy, and many of us would encourage it if you have six or more hours on an MR. To maximize time in Central London, get the Heathrow Express for Ł32 return. It runs every 15 minutes and takes 15 minutes from Heathrow Central (T1/T3), so it will take a bit longer from T4 as you'll have to take the connecting train. Heathrow Connect is Ł16.20 and takes 23 minutes from T4 to Paddington. It also runs every 15 minutes and makes four stops between LHR and Paddington. The Underground is Ł5 cash each way (Ł2.70 off-peak on Oyster), but takes about an hour into Central London. It does drop you at a better position perhaps, as Heathrow Express takes you to Paddington, whereas you could get off the Tube lots of places. If staying in London, note that changing trains on the Underground usually requires steps and long walks. This can be unpleasant with lots of luggage. If you've got questions about specific transfers, feel free to ask them in this thread or over in the UK and Ireland forum. (We've got some real Tube geeks over there, and I mean that in the best way.)
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
Boston:
DL 144/145: BOS-LHR-BOS - daily service - 764's with lay flat seats
DL 270/271: BOS-LHR-BOS - daily service - 764's with lay flat seats
On DL.com and on my itinerary, these are "generously-reclining seats" on 763's....not "lay flat seats" on 764's.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
On DL.com and on my itinerary, these are "generously-reclining seats" on 763's....not "lay flat seats" on 764's.
Correct about the 763 coming in to replace the 764 over the summer. However, take a look at the seat map. Is it showing 1-2-1? Then it's been re-fitted with the flat beds. DL is taking BA on hard about the hard product on this route, and I don't think they're dumb enough to swap back to recliners. (They've got a booth set up at Canary Wharf at present showing off the flat bed seats. It will move to Paddington next week for at least one day. Somewhere else in between, maybe King's Cross/St Pancras?)
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Thanks for this excellent summary that will inform my run through LHR in May and stay in the UK (Oxford) in June.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
Thanks for this excellent summary that will inform my run through LHR in May and stay in the UK (Oxford) in June.
If you're arranging your own transport to Oxford, National Express runs coaches (UK word for buses that are nicer than a typical city bus). However, it will take about four hours. Frequent trains run from Paddington to Oxford and take about an hour. Advance tickets can be just as cheap as the coach and considerably faster. (Of course, you'll have to pay a bit more to deal with the LHR-Paddington portion on HEX or HEC.)

ETA: When I was searching for coach information to write the info above, there was a bug in the booking engine that gave four hour coach rides. In fact, there are much more reasonable options, and coach is preferable for those who need to get to Oxford. Some good information can be found in this thread on the UK/Ireland forum.

Last edited by mtkeller; Apr 18, 2011 at 11:50 pm Reason: Clarification about better coach options
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:57 am

Thanks rwoman, indeed a great summary of information for those flying to LON!

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Correct about the 763 coming in to replace the 764 over the summer. However, take a look at the seat map. Is it showing 1-2-1? Then it's been re-fitted with the flat beds. DL is taking BA on hard about the hard product on this route, and I don't think they're dumb enough to swap back to recliners. (They've got a booth set up at Canary Wharf at present showing off the flat bed seats. It will move to Paddington next week for at least one day. Somewhere else in between, maybe King's Cross/St Pancras?)
And best of all, marketing the DL business class product right in Heathrow Terminal 5!
Where to Find Delta's Pop-Up 'Cube' Experience Around London (and Win Business Class Tickets) - Jaunted.com
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by aeolos
Thanks rwoman, indeed a great summary of information for those flying to LON!

And best of all, marketing the DL business class product right in Heathrow Terminal 5!
Where to Find Delta's Pop-Up 'Cube' Experience Around London (and Win Business Class Tickets) - Jaunted.com
My pictures aren't as good as the ones in that article, but here's a write-up about my experience visiting the Delta Cube at LHR last weekend.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: DM/3MM
[QUOTE=rwoman;16133344]

Some notes on seats: I have not discussed extensively, as it has been covered ad naseum on the forum.
764:

Rwoman, great idea. I'm curious though about your comments on row 3. I like this seat, and it definitely seems far enough back from the galley. Have you experienced something different re: galley light/noise?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=TrojanTraveler;16133822]
Originally Posted by rwoman

764:

Rwoman, great idea. I'm curious though about your comments on row 3. I like this seat, and it definitely seems far enough back from the galley. Have you experienced something different re: galley light/noise?
I have not sat forward of row 5...based that on what others have said. I'd think it'd be fine.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:27 am

On my most recent flight to London I was given an "express pass" to use the LHR express lane at customs by the FA. I think they gave it to me because I am Gold (it looked like they were checking my name off the list when they gave it to me). However, I had flown to LHR twice in the past two months (as Gold) and never received the express pass. Each trip I was traveling in Y.

Is the LHR express pass for customs a brand new feature for Sky Priority members?

Last edited by Statguy; Mar 31, 2011 at 7:39 am
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Statguy
On my most recent flight to London I was given an "express pass" to use the LHR express lane at customs by the FA. I think they gave it to me because I am Gold (it looked like they were checking my name off the list when they gave it to me). However, I had flown to LHR twice in the past two months (as Gold) and never received the express pass.

Is the LHR express pass for customs a brand new feature for Sky Priority members?
It is called FastTrack - all pax in J receive them. I had this happen once last fall when traveling in Y and have not seen it happen again since.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Statguy
On my most recent flight to London I was given an "express pass" to use the LHR express lane at customs by the FA. I think they gave it to me because I am Gold (it looked like they were checking my name off the list when they gave it to me). However, I had flown to LHR twice in the past two months (as Gold) and never received the express pass. Each trip I was traveling in Y.

And let's clarify that FastTrack is for immigration (UK Border Agency) not Customs. In the UK, you'll first go through passport control, where you hand over your nifty little landing card. (Be aware that if you're using LHR as a connecting point and coming in from another EU country on your way back to the US and stopping over in London rather than continuing straight to the US, the carrier might not have the cards on board since most passengers won't need them. There's always a little counter before you join the queue where you can pick up a card if you need it.) UKBA is where the big bottleneck can be, so the FastTrack card is very useful there, I would imagine. Customs is a total non-event unless they flag you for some reason. If you have nothing to declare, walk through the green portal and you're on your way. No turning over customs paperwork like on entering the US.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
DL 148/149 JFK/LHR are daily, no?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Have a semi-related question. When returning from LHR via BOS to a domestic connection, does one have to change terminals and re-clear security at BOS? How long should this typically take?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.