Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Post How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Based on my experience:

1. Have at least 150k miles available.
2. Call DL.
3. Specifically ask to book on V Australia, flying business class, booking into "Z" class. Give initial set of dates. Don't forget that VA also has LAX-BNE and LAX-MEL flights, in addition to LAX-SYD. Note that LAX-BNE and LAX-MEL don't run every day of the week. (VA is quite generous with their award availability for business class! )
4. Allow the agent to put you on hold as she/he looks up the instructions on how to make VA bookings. (Every single agent I spoke to did this. It looks like they're not well-versed in VA bookings.)
5. After agent comes back, you can ask for availability on others dates, and he/she will answer you very quickly, as they are now familiar with the commands.
6. If the agent quotes you 100k miles, tell them to "price as booked," it's supposed to cost 150k miles. What happens is that the system thinks there's a lower bucket available for the same cabin and will change the booked bucket to that one. But that new bucket is coach.
7. Bring out credit card to pay for taxes and fees, around $280.
8. Price out a similar itinerary on DL.com for coach. Most likely you'll be laughing at the bunch of ignorant frequent fliers paying 140k miles to fly LAX-SYD on DL metal in coach, as hardly any "low" awards are available in either cabin.
9. Smile that you've outsmarted DL.
10. Pay your credit card bill in full

Addenda: If you're looking for feeder flights into LAX, advise the agent that you'll be doing so. If you have a good agent, they'll block the space on the VA flights first before searching for the domestic legs. When I booked my tickets, it took about an hour and a half in total, as the itinerary had to be manually-priced. The pricing desk had to try different things to get the PNR to store the price. The solution was that they found someone familiar on how to do manual pricing. I don't blame the agents, I blame the outdated system and the management idiots in corporate HQ.

Here's my suggestion on what to do before making the final booking if you have feeder flights:
1. Have a few dates in mind for the US-Australia flights.
2. Call DL and make note of which dates have availability for the VA flights. Don't ask about domestic flights yet.
3. Use DL.com and AlaskaAir.com (DCA-LAX is a gem!) to search for feeder flight availability. Good luck with DL feeder flights. (I spent at least 2 hours doing this! Just 10 minutes on the phone asking about the VA availability.)
4. Call back DL to make final booking.

There you go. That's how Wiirachay and his parents just burned 450k miles in one day for 3 business class tickets.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Aug 13, 2010 at 12:04 am
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta PM 1MM™, Alaska MVPG75K, Marriott LTTE, United SE, Hertz PC, National EE
NICE! ^ Thanks for posting.

Let us know how VA is!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Cool thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Thank you, Wiirachay!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Good stuff, thank you for that.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Impressive!

Did you know the VA availability beforehand, or did you just call up with a range of dates in mind?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:43 pm

low-mid-high

Do they have all those classifications on VA that you have on Delta? Where do you find out what they require? If 150,000 each way will get you business class -- I would be very happy to do that next year. DL starts at 150,000 but htere are hardly any seats for that -- that means probably 240,000 each and that is a lot. So if VA will do it for 150,000, I already have that much and am there for next year!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by timstravel
Impressive!

Did you know the VA availability beforehand, or did you just call up with a range of dates in mind?
I just called up with a range of dates in mind - they were Fridays and Saturdays in May for the outbound, Sundays and Mondays on the inbound in June. Looks like VA doesn't have an availability on Fridays. However, they had 2-4 seats on the other times I inquired.

Originally Posted by kapmap
Do they have all those classifications on VA that you have on Delta? Where do you find out what they require? If 150,000 each way will get you business class -- I would be very happy to do that next year. DL starts at 150,000 but htere are hardly any seats for that -- that means probably 240,000 each and that is a lot. So if VA will do it for 150,000, I already have that much and am there for next year!
All partner redemption amounts are at the "low" level, as most people should think, "standard level." Rulebuster or anytime redemption are usually not available on partner airlines, no matter what frequent flier program you're on, for any alliance. So, if DL were to have low tiers BE awards available to/from Australia , then it would be 150k.

Go burn your SkyMiles on J seats at low levels to Australia!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Nice ^
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:53 am

Sorry for my ignorance...I just want to make sure that I understand correctly that VA is Virgin Atlantic, correct?

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rlsrlj
Sorry for my ignorance...I just want to make sure that I understand correctly that VA is Virgin Atlantic, correct?

Thanks!
nope, read the OP

Virgin Atlantic is VS
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
nope, read the OP

Virgin Atlantic is VS
Got it..never heard of V Australia before...thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I thought Delta's partnership with Virgin Atlantic ended years ago. When did they resume it? Can we get award tickets to other destinations, such as LHR?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I thought Delta's partnership with Virgin Atlantic ended years ago. When did they resume it? Can we get award tickets to other destinations, such as LHR?
You're in the wrong ocean - It's Virgin AUSTRALIA that's the subject.

Now, how to determine availability before calling? AFAIK you can't check on their website unless you're a member of their FF program, which you can't join unless you live in the S. Pacific. EF and KVS do not cover VA awards either.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:44 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by timstravel
Now, how to determine availability before calling? AFAIK you can't check on their website unless you're a member of their FF program, which you can't join unless you live in the S. Pacific. EF and KVS do not cover VA awards either.
Actually, we are pleased to confirm that KVS Tool's award availability coverage now extends to V Australia as well, making it the 71st carrier, for which award/upgrades are known to be supported. The award/upgrade booking classes chart at http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes has now been updated accordingly.

BTW, does anyone know what VA's Economy award booking class is?

Last edited by KVS; Aug 15, 2010 at 2:08 pm Reason: Update: Award/Upgrade Carrier Count

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.