Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Miami (MIA): The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite

I'm planning a trip to BGI that will require transferring from Delta to American in MIA. I can't tell from the airport map whether the various concourses are connected and secure, or if I'll have to go outside (and back through security) to transfer:
http://www.miami-airport.com/where_to_park.asp

I need to get from area H to area D/E.

Any thoughts on minimum connection times around 5:00 PM on Thursdays?

Update: I called the MIA customer service line, and they confirmed that the DL and AA terminals are not connected airside.

Last edited by MS02113; Jul 29, 2010 at 1:30 pm
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
There is no airside connection between concourses H and D/E, so you'll have to exit the H secure area and go back thru D/E security. If you're traveling in F, or are a mid- to high-level elite w/ AA, you can save some time by using the elite security lane. Otherwise, I'd say that you'll need at least an hour to make the H --> D/E transfer. You might get lucky and do it in less time, but MIA can be a veritable zoo sometimes.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL DM
I have had this take 4 & 1/2 hours, as I was repeatedly herded into the wrong lines. Fortunately, my next fight was late. Love MIA. Not
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: AA ExecP
MIA Connection to MIA-LHR.

I'm looking at taking MIA-LHR, coming in from MSP. My positioning flight from MSP lands at MIA at 5:18pm. MIA-LHR leaves at 6:30pm. I assume this really pushing it for a reasonable connection time (these would be separate tickets).
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by flying_q
I'm looking at taking MIA-LHR, coming in from MSP. My positioning flight from MSP lands at MIA at 5:18pm. MIA-LHR leaves at 6:30pm. I assume this really pushing it for a reasonable connection time (these would be separate tickets).
Would both of these be with Delta? If so, that's more than reasonable; DL's operation at MIA is all in a single terminal right now, and their LHR service will probably be from the same terminal too (it's where the Sky Club is).

If it's with BA or AA, you'd have to leave and re-clear security, and that would give me pause.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by BonzoESC
Would both of these be with Delta? If so, that's more than reasonable; DL's operation at MIA is all in a single terminal right now, and their LHR service will probably be from the same terminal too (it's where the Sky Club is).

If it's with BA or AA, you'd have to leave and re-clear security, and that would give me pause.
Yup - all DL on the new service.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by flying_q
Yup - all DL on the new service.
Shouldn't be a problem then. Delta's in the "H" concourse, which is relatively small, and isn't a horrible mile-long walk like the AA hub there.

I wouldn't chance the Sky Club with that layover, but as long as you don't get delayed too much you should be fine.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Connection time in MIA - Food options

For trips to BAQ there's no direct flight from ATL. I've generally gone ATL-BOG-BAQ but due to scheduling and the need to accompany a colleague from SEA will have to connect via MIA this time.

In times past I've found the food options to be terrible... Certainly no One Flew South in MIA :-(

Is there anything *near* the airport worth extending my layover for?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
I've had a couple meals at The Top of the Port which is located outside security at the top of the hotel in Terminal E. It isn't fantastic (certainly not worth a comparison to OFS), but I think it's the best option for a sit-down meal out of the hustle and bustle of the terminal. The food options at MIA are pretty limited.

I've never tried to venture off airport property for a meal. I can tell you there's great food in Miami proper, but I'm not familiar enough with the area around MIA to be of any use. You might try the AA forum for advice on all things MIA.

*And I certainly wouldn't extend a layover just to eat there... but if stuck with one of those awkward layovers that's too short to leave but too long to just sit around, I think it's a decent option.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
How long of a layover? If I have more than a few hours, I usually rent a car or take a taxi to Versailles, an excellent Cuban restaurant just south of the airport on SW 8th St. Google it. It's a Miami landmark.

As for the Delta concourse itself, there's nothing remarkable food-wise there.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
I hear superstar chef Michelle Bernstein's flagship restaurant is in Miami...
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by realjd
How long of a layover? If I have more than a few hours, I usually rent a car or take a taxi to Versailles, an excellent Cuban restaurant just south of the airport on SW 8th St. Google it. It's a Miami landmark.

As for the Delta concourse itself, there's nothing remarkable food-wise there.
Versailles used to be good, but now its an overpriced tourist trap. Any trip to MIA must include a stop at Joe's Stone Crab!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EP
La Carreta in Terminal D at MIA has decent Cuban Food. For the real deal in Cuban food, try Las Culibrinas -- about 15 minutes from the airport -- 4700 W Flagler St, Coral Gables. No fake Calle Ocho tourist trap there. Both are well reviewed on TripAdvisor...
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by realjd
How long of a layover?
4 or 6 hours - transferring to an intl flight on Avianca.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
Versailles used to be good, but now its an overpriced tourist trap. Any trip to MIA must include a stop at Joe's Stone Crab!
You argue that Versailles is an overpriced tourist trap, then of all Miami restaurants choose to recommend Joe's Stone Crab? Joe's is the textbook example of an overpriced tourist trap. The food is excellent, I'll give you that, but way overpriced. Besides, it's in Miami Beach. The OP was looking for something near the airport. And he probably won't have time for the standard 2-hour wait for a table.

Versailles is a tourist trap, but the food is still excellent IMO and it is a Miami landmark. I stand by my recommendation.

Yelp tends to agree: http://www.yelp.com/biz/versailles-restaurant-miami

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.