Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL paid ground transfer experience JFK to LGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:41 pm
ATM
Original Poster

I was reading Delta's international contract of carriage and was surprised to see they have a couple of exceptions to provide ground transportation if you have a paid international ticket and have to transit between airports with a layover <6 hours. I've got such an itinerary coming up and wondered if anyone has experienced Delta paying / arranging this and how it worked?

RULE 30 GROUND TRANSFER SERVICE
A)
GENERAL
Except as otherwise specified below, Delta does not operate or provide ground transfer service between airports or between airports and city centers. Any such service is performed by independent operators who are not and shall not be deemed to be agents or servants of Delta. Although Delta may assist you in making arrangements for such ground transfer service, you agree that Delta is not liable for any act or omission of any such independent operator. If we issue you a voucher to cover the cost of services provided by any such independent contractor and you decide not to use the services, the voucher for such services will have not refund value.

EXCEPTIONS:
Except for passengers traveling on free tickets, Delta will provide ground transfer services at no additional charge in the following circumstances:

1). Transatlantic/Transpacific/Mexico/Caribbean Flights -- New York area airports Delta or Delta Connection passengers making connections between LaGuardia Airport (LGA) or Newark International Airport (EWR) and John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) to or from Delta transatlantic flights will be provided ground transportation between JFK airport and LGA/EWR airports at no additional charge, if the passenger's connecting flight is scheduled to depart no more than 6 hours after the scheduled arrival of the passenger's flight at LGA/EWR/JFK airports.

2) Transatlantic Flights – London and Paris area airports
Ground transfer service between the two London area airports Heathrow (LHR) and Gatwick (LGW) and the two Paris area airports Charles de Gaulle (CDG) and Orly (ORY) is included in the fare and will be provided without additional charge for Delta passengers making connections to or from Delta transatlantic flights.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
I have never heard of this. Once DL did pay for a towncar to take me from LGA to JFK when I VDBed off BOS-JFK and took BOS-LGA (had a later connection to FRA.) They printed a voucher off at the LGA baggage office that I gave to the driver as payment. It had a face value of $68, not sure if that is what DL actually pays the car service though.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
very interesting find by the OP. ^

I'm curious of anyone has actually used that, let alone anyone at DL's NYC operations would give you a voucher for transit to another airport if you met the conditions stated.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:00 am
ATM
Original Poster

The first response I received from Delta via email incorrectly quoted Delta's domestic Rule 30 and said I would be responsible for transportation. The follow up response indicated they would take care of it.

Thank you for contacting us.

You may go to the baggage service office at JFK and they will help you with ground transportation to LGA.

Delta Provided Ground Transfer Service Between NYC Airports

See International Rule 30 for Delta's guidelines regarding complimentary ground transfer service between JFK -and- LGA / EWR.

Eligible passengers must go to the baggage service office for assistance with transpiration arrangements.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ATM
Eligible passengers must go to the baggage service office for assistance with transpiration arrangements.
HAHA! Must be HOT in the baggage service office!

Seriously... Great find OP!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 2:19 am

Great find. This is not well advertised and DL should take some heat for this.

Delta.com should flag this situation and give details during the booking process.

I also believe the < 6 hour rule should be waived if there is NO OTHER connection that could have been booked.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
In April when DL moved their flights from JFK-PWM to LGA-PWM and I was coming from MAD they most definitely covered my ground transportation from JFK to LGA. I picked up the voucher at the DL counter right after the Int'l baggage claim. DL will even call the taxi service they have a contract with. DL was top notch in taking care of this for me otherwise I was looking at a 6 hour layover if I had flown back to ATL.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mc40638
Great find. This is not well advertised and DL should take some heat for this.

Delta.com should flag this situation and give details during the booking process.

I also believe the < 6 hour rule should be waived if there is NO OTHER connection that could have been booked.
It's part of the contract of carriage (cited by the OP) and is thus legally binding. Like many other elements of flying, it may not be as generous as everyone wants it to be. Fundamentally, I suspect very few people take advantage of this. Anyone buying his own TPAC/TATL business class ticket shouldn't put off by the comparatively modest cost of a taxi trip LGA-JFK.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It is also in the domestic contract of carriage when a flight is part of an international itinerary. Has anyone ever gotten pushback from an agent at LGA or JFK when asking for this?

RULE 150: APPLICATION OF FARES
A)
Where a local or joint fare is specifically published via the desired routing from point of origin to point of destination, such fare is applicable over such route.
Delta Domestic General Rules Tariff Page 24 of 51
B)
Unless otherwise provided, flights designated by class(es) of service (for example "First Class," "Coach," or by other classes), type of aircraft (jet or propeller) and flight departure or arrival time, as specified in connection with the application of fares, refer to flights bearing such designations and schedules, flight departure or arrival times, as set forth in the carrier's Official General Schedule.
C)
Fares and charges apply only to air transportation between the airports and/or heliports through which the cities named in connection with such fares and charges are served by the carrier or carriers by whom, or on whose behalf, such fares and charges are published. Ground transportation other than that specified below will be arranged by the passenger at his/her own expense.
EXCEPTION: Passengers making connection at LGA/EWR/JFK airports to/from international flights scheduled to depart no more than 6 hours after the scheduled arrival of the passenger's flight at LGA/EWR/JFK airports will be provided ground transportation between above mentioned airports under the following conditions:
1)
Such ground transportation will be provided without charge by independent contractors in the business of providing such ground transportation, upon request of the passenger.
2)
Where ticket coupons have been issued to cover the services of such contractors, and when such services have not been used, the coupons will have no refund value.
3)
Such independent contractors are not agents or servants of any carrier, and Delta does not assume responsibility for the ground transportation of
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Take a cab. Get a receipt. Print out the language you cited and mail it in to DL asking for a check.

I've done this on irrops (which is a different situation), but never had a problem getting a check from them quickly.

I would not spend a lot of time (any?) with JFK ground staff trying to figure this out.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:53 am
VIB

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Take a cab. Get a receipt. Print out the language you cited and mail it in to DL asking for a check.

I've done this on irrops (which is a different situation), but never had a problem getting a check from them quickly.

I would not spend a lot of time (any?) with JFK ground staff trying to figure this out.
That's not what their rules say to do.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:33 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Sorry to bump this thread - but I am looking at booking a LGA/JFK itinerary. Has anyone had recent experience doing this? I am looking at a 4 hour connection. Is that enough time arriving LGA at 7:00pm on Friday (in January) and departing JFK at 11:30pm?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL GM; AA; UA; BA
Originally Posted by TTT
Sorry to bump this thread - but I am looking at booking a LGA/JFK itinerary. Has anyone had recent experience doing this? I am looking at a 4 hour connection. Is that enough time arriving LGA at 7:00pm on Friday (in January) and departing JFK at 11:30pm?
Regardless of who pays, that is plenty of time. I've done it with about 2 1/2 hours between flights toting my luggage from airport to airport by taxi.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TMitch6542
Regardless of who pays, that is plenty of time. I've done it with about 2 1/2 hours between flights toting my luggage from airport to airport by taxi.
I would be interested in learning what DL provides. Is it a taxi voucher, a bus ticket into NYC and back out?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would be concerned Bout the requirement to see the baggage service office. While it is near baggage claim as one follows exit signs for arriving passengers, there can be very long lines, especially when there have been IROPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.