Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta 777-200ER Business Elite seat help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Good evening everyone,

Has anyone travelled in Seats 1G or 1J (or both) on the 777-200ER with Delta (not the lie flat seats). My wife and I are heading on a trip and we have a choice between 1G and 1J or 5A and 5C, or as a last resort, the rear BE cabin. I would much prefer to stay in the forward BE cabin, but I am unsure of which seats to pick. It seems that reviews on these seats is incredibly hard to come by. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Originally Posted by jbmflyer
Good evening everyone,

Has anyone travelled in Seats 1G or 1J (or both) on the 777-200ER with Delta (not the lie flat seats). My wife and I are heading on a trip and we have a choice between 1G and 1J or 5A and 5C, or as a last resort, the rear BE cabin. I would much prefer to stay in the forward BE cabin, but I am unsure of which seats to pick. It seems that reviews on these seats is incredibly hard to come by. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I assume you tried seatguru.com?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LALAland
I assume you tried seatguru.com?
Yeah, I tried just about every website and google search. The best I could find was SeatGuru saying that the seat has restricted legroom because of the bulkhead right in front. So that is what I am trying to figure out, is that accurate or will that seat still fully recline either way. One other website had the seat listed as all green, but also called the 777 a "small type aircraft" and seat expert had yellow/green across the whole first row. I think those seats would be great, assuming they do fully recline and the foot portion does fully extend just like every other BE seat.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Personally, I'd go with row 1. Row 5 has no window and although you are in a FC seat, you somehow feel detached + the noise is a bit louder on 5 as it is close to the boarding door. Lastly, if your flight offers meal service, will likely not have a choice as row 5 is usually served last. IDK if the row 1 seats recline degree is affected. Your choices are pretty much the worst of the best.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I have traveled on the 777-200ER many, many times on long trips (quite a few on ATL-PVG when it was running) and I can say with complete honestly that 1A has no advantage over any other seat in the first row. In fact, I emailed seatguru many times about it but they swear by the extra legroom. My major issue with row 1 on the 777-200ER (same with 767-300ER for that matter) is the noise and light coming from the forward area. Moreover, you need to remember that pilot crew rest door is DIRECTLY adjacent to the left side of the cabin and row 1, and I am typically disturbed a few times by a loud *slam* when the pilots come and go to the bunks.

I since have switched to row 2 and have been a little bit happier.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLATL777
I have traveled on the 777-200ER many, many times on long trips (quite a few on ATL-PVG when it was running) and I can say with complete honestly that 1A has no advantage over any other seat in the first row. In fact, I emailed seatguru many times about it but they swear by the extra legroom. My major issue with row 1 on the 777-200ER (same with 767-300ER for that matter) is the noise and light coming from the forward area. Moreover, you need to remember that pilot crew rest door is DIRECTLY adjacent to the left side of the cabin and row 1, and I am typically disturbed a few times by a loud *slam* when the pilots come and go to the bunks.

I since have switched to row 2 and have been a little bit happier.
Great, Thanks for the help. So to your knowledge, do 1G and 1J have the ability to fully recline? I'm just concerned that we wont be able to fully extend the seat. Our option as far as I can tell is 1G and 1J or the second section of BE which is completely empty at the moment.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:54 am

Great, Thanks for the help. So to your knowledge, do 1G and 1J have the ability to fully recline? I'm just concerned that we wont be able to fully extend the seat. Our option as far as I can tell is 1G and 1J or the second section of BE which is completely empty at the moment.
All the seats can fully recline; that isn't really the issue. The issue is whether or not you like to extend your feet beyond the small "flap" at the end of the seat. For me, I often don't even use the "flat" as Im tall enough (6'0) that if I press my feet against the edge of the seat flap, my legs are noticeably bent. Because of this, if I sit in the non-bulkhead rows, I can put my legs out a bit more under the seat in front of me. On the other side of the coin, when the seat in front of you is fully reclined and your footrest is completely up, the area for your feet is very very narrow, flap or not. I would say if getting out with ease is more a concern, then the bulkheads win hands down.

As for the second section of BE; no need to worry about it being empty; on day of departure, you will have the joy of watching the entire second section fill up magically with 20 non-revs. Happens every time.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:07 am
Original Poster

All the seats can fully recline; that isn't really the issue. The issue is whether or not you like to extend your feet beyond the small "flap" at the end of the seat. For me, I often don't even use the "flat" as Im tall enough (6'0) that if I press my feet against the edge of the seat flap, my legs are noticeably bent. Because of this, if I sit in the non-bulkhead rows, I can put my legs out a bit more under the seat in front of me. On the other side of the coin, when the seat in front of you is fully reclined and your footrest is completely up, the area for your feet is very very narrow, flap or not. I would say if getting out with ease is more a concern, then the bulkheads win hands down.

As for the second section of BE; no need to worry about it being empty; on day of departure, you will have the joy of watching the entire second section fill up magically with 20 non-revs. Happens every time.

HAHA, isn't that the way it always goes. I'm going to go with row 1, I don't really worry about getting out easily as I am travelling with my wife. The light will be a bonus because I would like to stay awake the second half of the flight so when I land im on local time. Every previous time I have flown BE on long haul with Delta's 777 it has been rows 2 or 3 in A or C. I'm about 5'11" so I guess the feet fully extended may be an issue, but I would be ok with just leaning a bit to the side and scooting my feet into the aisle. It's worth it to stay away from the engine noise and in the quieter forward BE cabin I do find it interesting that Seat Guru also notes that there is no floor storage in that seat because its a bulkhead, but that is true of all BE seats on the 777ER. I wonder if that is their standard addition to all bulkhead seats
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:53 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
take the bulkhead...

take row 1 -- i find it to be so much nicer!

i would agree with seatguru that there seems to be just a little more leg room due to the fact that it is in the bulkhead.

maybe i'm just biased, but i much prefer the bulkhead -- no one will be able to lean back into you, and, on long flights where people often sleep, this is a rather large plus.

good luck and safe travels ... i miss being able to fly on a 777
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vincentppetty

i would agree with seatguru that there seems to be just a little more leg room due to the fact that it is in the bulkhead.

maybe i'm just biased, but i much prefer the bulkhead -- no one will be able to lean back into you, and, on long flights where people often sleep, this is a rather large plus.

Thank you very much. I also agree that having the bulkhead is nice on long haul flights like that, so long as the seat can fully recline and extend. Since that doesn't seem like it will be an issue, I think its just about right. I think that leg room restriced and no underseat storage may just be a default for any bulkhead row because there is no underseat storage on any seats in BE on the 777-200ER from Delta.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:11 am

Thank you very much. I also agree that having the bulkhead is nice on long haul flights like that, so long as the seat can fully recline and extend. Since that doesn't seem like it will be an issue, I think its just about right. I think that leg room restriced and no underseat storage may just be a default for any bulkhead row because there is no underseat storage on any seats in BE on the 777-200ER from Delta.
While that's true, most FAs will allow a bag to be "wedged" underneath the BE seat in front of you. I have only once been told to put my personal items above and this was a new FA who was very closely following doctrine.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by vincentppetty

+1 Unless you are as thin as a toothpick, its difficult to get to the aisle from a window seat if you have a row of seats in front of you and the seats are in the full recline position. The only draw back to the bulk head seats is of course, you cant stow any articles in front of you.

I much prefer the 2nd half of the BE cabin because its generally not as packed as the first half. I have been on many a JFK/ATL to NRT flight where the 1st part of the BE cabin was filled up, but the 2nd half was like half empty. To me, the biggest draw back with the 2nd half of the BE cabin is the noise from the engines. Rows 10 and 11 are right adjacent to the engines, can get noisy.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu

I much prefer the 2nd half of the BE cabin because its generally not as packed as the first half. I have been on many a JFK/ATL to NRT flight where the 1st part of the BE cabin was filled up, but the 2nd half was like half empty. To me, the biggest draw back with the 2nd half of the BE cabin is the noise from the engines. Rows 10 and 11 are right adjacent to the engines, can get noisy.
The biggest drawback for me about the second section is that it typically turns into a non-rev party. In fact, once flying paid J from NRT-ATL the FA assumed I was a non-rev, (I wasn't wearing a suit but jeans and a button down) and thus got my order after circling around the cabin for who she thought/read were paying passengers. After realizing her mistake, she apologized after stating that every single passenger in the second cabin was a non-rev besides yourself, so I just assumed. Of course I got whatever food was leftover at this point.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

The biggest drawback for me about the second section is that it typically turns into a non-rev party. In fact, once flying paid J from NRT-ATL the FA assumed I was a non-rev, (I wasn't wearing a suit but jeans and a button down) and thus got my order after circling around the cabin for who she thought/read were paying passengers. After realizing her mistake, she apologized after stating that every single passenger in the second cabin was a non-rev besides yourself, so I just assumed. Of course I got whatever food was leftover at this point.
I guess that is where the party is at if you are non rev. My wife has already made several statements about how she is looking forward to the food/drink selection in BE on this flight so if she wants to get her stuff the second section is not the place to be
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
well, true that the 2nd half of the BE can fill up with non-revs but I've never had a problem with it turning into a party atmopshere. In fact Ive experienced just the opposite with a generally quiet and laid back older crowd.

Also, never had a problem with meal/beverage service and being mistaken as a non-rev. I'm clearly listed on the manifest as a diamond elte/skyteam plus member, so the FA's should know who is a non rev and who isnt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.