Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Whether to use NW ff# or DL ff# on NW flight (Silver Both, Reserve on Delta)

Old Sep 22, 09, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK

I have a mixed DL/NW multi day, multi city itinerary over the next week starting Friday.

My PHX to BWI (via MSP) flight on Friday shows some F availability after Gold EUA.

Here is my question: will it advantage me in any way to use my delta ff# instead of my nw ff# on the nw flights given that I am silver on both BUT also Delta Reserve. I assume that the Delta Reserve go-the-the-front-of-the-silver-line-per-fare-bucket thing does not apply to NW operated flights, but I wanted to see if that had changed recently.

My intuition is that it is better use the Silver NW ff# rather than the silver Delta ff#, but I wanted to check that intuition.

I only have myself to blame for this, but I am silver on both NW and Delta, but add them together and I am plat. When I started not caring whether the miles were in my DL or NW account, I didn't think I would qualify for Gold prior to the merge, let along Plat. God bless all the bonus EQMs and goverment travel on M fares during the 2x/3x promotion...
Old Sep 22, 09, 1:04 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
[Please note that these things are changing every day as the DL/NW merger gets farther along]

As of about a month ago, an SMS agent explained to me that on NW-operated flights, within each category of elite (PM, GM, FO), the NW elites get first dibs, then DL elites. She explained that it was the reverse on DL-operated flights.

Therefore, on a NW-operated flight, you should try to use your NW status rather than DL status to achieve the upgrade. Theoretically, it would put you ahead of all the DL FOs jockeying for the upgrade.

[This may have already changed since I began typing! Call NW and find out!]
Old Sep 22, 09, 1:08 pm

Be careful about using your NW # on DL. Due to an IT "issue" you will be at the END of the upgrade line at the gate.

I would recommend the DL #.
Old Sep 22, 09, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL 2 Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
Be careful about using your NW # on DL. Due to an IT "issue" you will be at the END of the upgrade line at the gate.

I would recommend the DL #.
I have not had that experience. While only Gold on NW, I was routinely high on the upgrade list at the DL gate. I routinely booked on Delta.com but gave my NW number when booking tickets. This worked on both NW and Delta flights. Now "check-in" is a different manner with a mixed itinerary.
Old Sep 22, 09, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by FOOLISHRUNNER View Post
I have not had that experience. While only Gold on NW, I was routinely high on the upgrade list at the DL gate. I routinely booked on Delta.com but gave my NW number when booking tickets. This worked on both NW and Delta flights. Now "check-in" is a different manner with a mixed itinerary.
Were you at the bottom of the gate upgrade list? The "glitch" puts NW elites below ALL DL elites... someone mentioned this yesterday....
Old Sep 22, 09, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL 2 Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, IHG Platinum
No, almost all of my gate posting on the Upgrade List showed me at the top usually in the 1-3 spots. Good luck with your upgrades!

Search this Thread