FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   DL SLC-NRT is loaded in the reservations systems is there much of a risk booking? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/997492-dl-slc-nrt-loaded-reservations-systems-there-much-risk-booking.html)

SkiUtah Sep 22, 2009 2:19 am

DL SLC-NRT is loaded in the reservations systems is there much of a risk booking?

I am interested in booking a flight to NRT next summer. When i check skymiles availablility it looks like DL has loaded and is selling SLC-NRT again next summer.

Is there much risk that this flight get canceled with the economy not really improving too quickly? Since dl loaded these so far ahead i am thinking that they are going bullish and want this to work so they wont cancel it?

If i do book this flight and DL cancels it. Will i be able to rebook at all mileage levels in the main cabin? wondering because by that time the good connections maybe gone and i dont want to get stuck with a double connection or long layovers?

zman Sep 22, 2009 7:15 am

Originally Posted by SkiUtah (Post 12417464)
I am interested in booking a flight to NRT next summer. When i check skymiles availablility it looks like DL has loaded and is selling SLC-NRT again next summer.

Is there much risk that this flight get canceled with the economy not really improving too quickly? Since dl loaded these so far ahead i am thinking that they are going bullish and want this to work so they wont cancel it?

If i do book this flight and DL cancels it. Will i be able to rebook at all mileage levels in the main cabin? wondering because by that time the good connections maybe gone and i dont want to get stuck with a double connection or long layovers?

If it is for miles/free trip, the risk is low. Grab what you want.
If it is cancelled they will accomidate you on an alternate flights
without normal availability/miles issues (if space is available).

Almost any flight to NRT could change or be cancelled (except for ATL)
this far out.

StayingHomeIsBetter Sep 22, 2009 7:24 am

Just don't make any pre-paid non-refundable hotel reservations.

If DL cancels your flight, they may get you there some other way, but not necessarily on the same days.

redtailshark Sep 22, 2009 10:11 am

Extra EQM

If they pull it, then they reroute you and rebook you...quite possibly into a higher fare class depending on the timing with which they do this.

But don't book it during 09 if you are near the DM threshold and anxious to avoid DM status. Otherwise, if they do this, you'll accrue extra EQMs and... be pushed over the precipice to DM and lose rollover :eek:

zman Sep 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by redtailshark (Post 12419100)
If they pull it, then they reroute you and rebook you...quite possibly into a higher fare class depending on the timing with which they do this.

But don't book it during 09 if you are near the DM threshold and anxious to avoid DM status. Otherwise, if they do this, you'll accrue extra EQMs and... be pushed over the precipice to DM and lose rollover :eek:

Booking has nothing to do with miles credit. Miles only credit when the flight is flown.

motormadness Sep 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Book it if the price is right. What is the worst case? Reroute through SEA? For real though, who knows what's going on at Virginia Avenue right now so if the price is right for you, book it. If DL feels SLC-NRT n/s isn't needed, they'll make the changes.

TTT Sep 22, 2009 4:22 pm

If I could find a mileage seat to NRT I would get it regardless of the risk of the non-stop being canceled just to have the seat. They will have to get you there somehow. If it were a paid ticket, the price would have to be right.

SkiUtah Sep 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Yeah i think it was available at the lowest mileage for the dates i wanted so ill probably go ahead and book it then sounds like delta will let me select my routing if its canceled. I do think delta will restart and fly this route for the Summer they want to make it work and if business travel improves a little i think it will